Two Days After

tmh8286

Well, I'm just now beginning to recover from an absolutely heartbreaking weekend. Just like Coach Walton, I felt this was a team of destiny, and deep down inside I really thought this team had the stuff to play at the next level. To have their legs knocked out from under them, late in the game, two games in a row, was almost more than my old heart could take! I could still hardly talk about it yesterday. I went to see "The Lion King" with my family at the Performing Arts Center on Saturday night after the game, but really all I wanted to do was seek solace with my ORU buddies to try to make the pain go away.

Clemson showed why they are the number one seed in the nation. Just like in every other sport, outstanding teams find a way to win, and that's what Clemson did.

I couldn't be more proud of our team. They represented ORU, both on and off the field, as well as we could possibly ask for. They were in a position to, and literally a couple of errant pitches away, from sweeping one of the best teams in college baseball. Win or lose, as Jeff Haxton said on the radio, these guys have the hearts of champions. They raised the level of ORU baseball to a point that it hasn't been since 1978. As tough as this weekend's losses were to endure, the SUCCESSES of this team have been greater than any we've seen in nearly thirty years!

Congratulations to Coach Walton and the Golden Eagle baseball team. You are the greatest!

I agree that it was a very impressive showing at the Super Regional. Kind of reminds me of our Regional at Texas 2 years ago. Remember how we were up on them in both games but gave up a late lead? And now two years later we faced something similar in Clemson, but we made it one round further. I wouldn't be surprised if Walton and crew take us to the CWS in the next 2 years or so.

Great observations, Adder. One difference would be that those attending the Texas regional really thought we were robbed by some bad calls, at least in one game.

I wouldn't say that that happened this weekend. We missed on some critical pitches, and Clemson capitalized on them. I don't think anybody would say that poor officiating cost us these games. That's the difference I see between the two situations.

But I see your point, Adder. ORU is a program on the upswing. Meet you in Omaha in 2008?

I would agree with you, TMH that this Regional was lost on our mistakes and Clemson's talent. The Texas Regional was lost when we had some issues with some noticeable changes (even by the home crowd) in the parameters by which we were playing the game (i.e., the strike zone changed). We can correct the mistakes that we made in the games at Clemson. Each one of those mistakes came due to pitches being left up in the strike zone instead of being spotted in the catcher's mitt.

We're fortunate to have the quality of baseball that is played at ORU that we do. It's a shame that only a few hundred people show up to see them play, but I realize that everyone is busy with other things and have other choices to make with their time, but you won't see a better quality of baseball in town (even arguably at the Double A level with some games).

We shouldn't have to go far for next year's marketing campaign for the baseball team. We should call it...."Unfinished Business"!! :lol:

Thanks to this year's Golden Eagles' Baseball Team and Rob Walton and the Coaching Staff for a great year. You've done a great job of putting the team on a national platform and playing like the great team you've become. Go play some summer ball and enjoy the fall season!!

Guest EagleBackr
We're fortunate to have the quality of baseball that is played at ORU that we do.

...we're even more fortunate to have such a classy team and coaching staff. They handled two obviously difficult losses with dignity and poise, unlike our Sooner cousins down the turnpike and their embarrassing behavior against Rice today. Funny how no matter who Sunny Gollaway plays (ORU, OSU, Rice, etc.), ugly incidents seem to always follow. I'm sure Sunny has some sort of excuse for today's outcome and his resulting behavior - doesn't he always? Wonder who was yelling at him from the stands, or dancing on his dugout, or insulting his wife this time?!? :wink:

We're fortunate to have the quality of baseball that is played at ORU that we do. It's a shame that only a few hundred people show up to see them play, but I realize that everyone is busy with other things and have other choices to make with their time, but you won't see a better quality of baseball in town (even arguably at the Double A level with some games).

I couldn't agree more, Bogus. Often times it's hard to make it out to the games, particularly over the weekends for me, but when we make the effort to attend we're rewarded with a very relaxing and entertaining game. It's a different sort of excitement than that provided at basketball games, but equally enjoyable.

Hopefully the successes of this year's team will bring out bigger crowds in the future.

They handled two obviously difficult losses with dignity and poise, unlike our Sooner cousins down the turnpike and their embarrassing behavior against Rice today.

Guess I was in the middle of my evening nap when the game ended - what happened?

If we make it to Omaha in '08 I'll try to make it. I'm starting a new job in July and it'll depend on how that works out. I think that the ORU is becoming to D-1 baseball what Gonzaga is to D-1 basketball.

Trying my best. I'll post something on the General Forums about it when it gets closer to September.