Faith 7 Basketball Game (6-10-2006)

ORUTerry

The Oklahoma versus Texas all-star game was last night; Oklahoma won over Texas 87 to 85.

Here is the story from the Shawnee, OK newspaper:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cook's shot wins Faith 7 for Oklahoma

By Robert Przybylo, SNS Sports Writer

An unfortunate series of events led to one triumphant shot as the Oklahoma representatives defeated Texas in the 41st annual Faith 7 all-star basketball game Saturday night at Oklahoma Baptist University's Noble Complex.

Keith Clark attempts a jumper in the Faith 7 basketball game Saturday night at the Noble Complex. Clark led Oklahoma to an 87-85 victory over Texas. (pic)

Guard Reggie Cook flicked up a buzzer-beating jumper after grabbing a rebound to snap Oklahoma's two-game losing streak to Texas, 87-85.

He may have been the smallest man on the court at the time, but Cook's hustle proved size is not everything.

"I thought time had expired, to be honest," said the 6-foot-1-inch Cook. "That's why I tried to just get it out of my hands as fast as possible. I wasn't sure until I saw everyone jumping up and down and heard the crowd cheering."

Oklahoma was given the ball with 3.9 seconds to play but had to go the length of the court to pull out the victory.

Oklahoma's Justin Robinson converts a dunk in the slam dunk contest before Saturday night's Faith 7 basketball game. Robinson's antics pleased the crowd but were not enough for the title. (pic)

Oklahoma's Ekpe Udoh hoisted up a half-court shot that hit the back of the rim. Cook was there to clean it up.

"We had no time-outs, and there was some confusion out there," Oklahoma coach Bob Weckstein said. "That last play, that was all those guys. We thought we were going to have it on the side but after the time-out, they moved it to the baseline."

The shot was sweet redemption for Cook, who had made only one field goal prior to the game-winner.

"My dad and my uncle have always told me to just be patient," Cook added. "Don't let anything get to you and just play your game."

Oklahoma never would have been in any position to get the win had it not been for a Superman-like effort from Keith Clark.

Clark, who played at Putnam City, led all scorers with 22 points and 10 rebounds. In a span of 10 seconds, Clark brought the team from down four to tied with 20 seconds to go.

Trailing 85-81, Clark grabbed an offensive rebound and followed with a lay-up. Following a steal in the backcourt, Clark hammered home a monster dunk that had the crowd on its feet.

"I just felt like I was back at school," Clark said. "I heard my teammates saying 'yo, Moose, we need you.' I decided to put the game on my shoulders and take it over."

Clark, who will attend the University of Oklahoma, said adjusting to team ball was the toughest part of the weekend.

"You come here and play with a bunch of guys you don't really know," Clark said. "You know, you don't want to be a ball hog. The guys looked to me to be the leader. I know that role and like that role."

Early in the fourth quarter, it appeared as another Texas victory was on the way. Trailing 66-58 entering the quarter, Texas started with a 12-0 run and held Oklahoma without a field goal for the first 5:35 before Noah Hartsock of Bartlesville converted a three-point play.

Oklahoma got that lead by playing stingy defense, holding Texas to only 14 points in the third quarter and despite only shooting 31 percent from the field in the second half.

Texas opened the game strong, but an 18-6 run spanning both the first and second quarters had Oklahoma taking a 47-44 lead into halftime.

Ben Uzoh led Texas with 21 points and 10 rebounds. Daryl Ashford, bound for Texas Tech, pitched in with 13 in the losing effort. Texas had five guys in double figures and shot better than Oklahoma.

The win improves Oklahoma's record to 25-16 against Texas in the annual contest.

Notes:

To the surprise of no one, Clark was named the MVP for Oklahoma.

"He's just something special," Weckstein said. "We all knew he was good, but he erased any doubts there could have been with his performance."

Uzoh was named the MVP of the Texas team. Uzoh tried to carry Texas to the win, scoring eight points in the fourth quarter alone. He will attend Tulsa University.

Joseph Fulce of Texas won the slam-dunk contest. For the winning dunk, the future Texas A&M player ran the length of the floor and took off from two steps past the free-throw line and did a one-handed windmill jam.

Each team was required to give players as close to five minutes of play possible in each of the first three quarters. The fourth quarter was coach's discretion.

Each player was allowed six fouls as opposed to five in a normal game.

Fulce landed awkwardly on his left leg in the fourth quarter but said he was fine. No other injuries occurred during the game.

Both Justin Robinson (Edmond Memorial) and Marquis Gaines (Muskogee) played in the game. Cannot find the game stats.

From the Muskogee newspaper.....

Area duo leads Oklahoma

SHAWNEE ? Muskogee?s Dominique Gaines and Fort Gibson?s Tyler Parker combined for 14 points in helping Oklahoma beat Texas 87-85 in the annual Faith 7 Basketball Game played Saturday at Oklahoma Baptist University.

Oklahoma won the game on a rebound and layup at the buzzer by Lawton Eisenhower?s Reggie Cook.

Gaines, an Oral Roberts University signee, scored eight points as he made 3 of 11 shots from the field and two free throws, while OBU signee Parker had six points in making 3 of 5 shots from the floor.

Gaines led Oklahoma with three steals, while Parker grabbed seven rebounds.

The game raises money for Faith 7, a school in Shawnee for handicapped students and adults.