Patrick Mwamba

ORUTerry

Let's wait and see how this works out.....not so sure this kid is a major upgrade.....but time will tell...TheEagleman still licking wounds from the end of this past season.......Image result for Cosmo Kramer Seinfeld

Image result for gilbert gottfried photosThanks, Terry!!!....you are the man!...and RIP Gilbert Gottfried!!!....😪

He is defintely not a center who can guard the post but Patrick does give ORU some defense and experience at the small forward position.  He can back up Kareem and maybe DJ Weaver.  Look for Patrick to be a six man off the bench.  Still have one schlorship open, so hopefully ORU uses it to bring in a big man!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both guys do have 1 year of eligibility left. Francis will play ball overseas and Eli is coming back.

You’re welcome. Eli is really working hard and is focused on having a great season next year!

Mills indicated in an interview that the door is open for Lacis to return. Who knows what the European basketball leagues will be like if the Ukrainian mess is still going on next year. 

29 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

You’re welcome. Eli is really working hard and is focused on having a great season next year!

Good news. Let’s hope he (and everyone else on the team) is working on his defense. 

I think Patrick is a good pick up. Experienced player who, apparently, has two years of eligibility left after already being at UTA for 4 years ( I think he had a medical redshirt one year). His 2021-2022 statistics aren't eye-popping but his 2020-2021 numbers are probably more indicative of what his role will look like at ORU (7 points ,5 boards, 2 assists, 1 block and 1 steal . During the 2020 season he was the 5th leading scorer on the team behind two all conference guards in Sam Griffin ( current tulsa starter) and Shahada Wells (Now at TCU I believe) who probably pulled defenders and allowed Mwamba to shoot nearly 40% from 3. He will have that at ORU with Abmas and Mcbride drawing a lot of attention. I think he was asked to do too much last season on a bad team and his stats show it.

If you go to Patrick's twitter, you can see a couple of highlights of his career and he looks dangerous in the pick and pop game. I went back and watched a few minutes of his game versus ORU from last season and he seemed like the leader on the court, pulling his teammates together after fouls to calm everyone down. He often switched onto Max on screens and did a pretty good job keeping him in front. Max only had 11 points that game as Weaver and Lacis shot the lights out. Patrick has a nice game going to the rim and seems to be a willing passer and rangy defender.

My biggest concern is where does he play and how many minutes? Maybe he didn't see UTA going in an upwards trajectory and he is fine coming off the bench for a team that should flirt with 20 wins next season. If he was promised a starting role then I'm not sure how that will work. He looks like he can play the 3, and I like that for us. If we can trot out a starting lineup of Abmas, Thompson/Jurgens, Mwamba/Weaver, Herron, and Lufile then I think we can play some solid defense and still score. Our second unit would have Mcbride, Phipps/Bergens, Jurgens/Thompson, some still unsigned forward, and Clover with Elijah Lawrence and Cameron Amboree getting some minutes sprinkled in as well. We are very PG heavy but on paper that seems like a team that could make some noise. If we continue to run lineups that feature 3 guards under 6'2 with thompson and weaver playing the forwards spots then a repeat of last season is more likely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Totally agree with you EagleFan 21.  The starting lineups will be interesting next year.  You have Herron listed as a starter and McBride not listed as a starter.  

I think McBride has earned the chance to start and he would be likely to start over Herron because Coach Mills wants a bunch of guards in the floor.

3 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Totally agree with you EagleFan 21.  The starting lineups will be interesting next year.  You have Herron listed as a starter and McBride not listed as a starter.  

I think McBride has earned the chance to start and he would be likely to start over Herron because Coach Mills wants a bunch of guards in the floor.

I agree on McBride, I was just suggesting a jumbo lineup as our small lineups were abused by the Dakota schools. I think you are correct, McBride will more than likely start over Herron.

It is still very early in the off season but so far ORU has 8 out of its top 9 players returning plus Patrick and the freshman Camron.  That is a lot of talent and potential.  The Eagles would probably be 1-2 with SDSU.  Scoring will not be a problem, but Coach Mills needs to work on a defensive plan this offseason.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/14/2022 at 10:20 AM, Eaglefan 21 said:

is 2021-2022 statistics aren't eye-popping but his 2020-2021 numbers are probably more indicative of what his role will look like at ORU (7 points ,5 boards, 2 assists, 1 block and 1 steal . During the 2020 season he was the 5th leading scorer on the team behind two all conference guards in Sam Griffin ( current tulsa starter) and Shahada Wells (Now at TCU I believe) who probably pulled defenders and allowed Mwamba to shoot nearly 40% from 3. He will have that at ORU with Abmas and Mcbride drawing a lot of attention. I think he was asked to do too much last season on a bad team and his stats show it.

These are good points about Mwamba's stats.