Tough Loss!

vcboy2000

What a tough loss to the Tigers this afternoon! Our guys played good on the comeback, but we just didn't have it in the end. What do you guys think? Should we have left Sean in after he gave up the second base hit? I think it was evident that he was losing it a little bit, but Rob probably felt he could tough it through the last inning. I thought that he would tough it out too, but he just didn't have that edge today. Anyway, great game by the entire club. I am proud of this teams no-die attitude. Hopefully they can shrug this loss off by tomorrow.

A quick gander at the Clemson message board would lead you to believe that beating ORU was a MAJOR accomplishment. And I'd agree, it was.

But it they are all that, why did it take a home run in the bottom of the ninth by their top player to beat ORU, a team ranked between 40 and 90 all season?

After the ESPN guys got done slathering all over themselves about the bunting ability of Brad Chalk, the replay shows he was out by half a step. Of course THAT replay wasn't shown again! Their fans admitted it on their message board. Like I said in another thread, the ranked, home team gets the calls when the game is on the line.

Couldn't be more proud of our team. They showed absolutely no fear, no quit, no intimidation in a very tough place to play.

Good luck tomorrow, guys!!!

Heartbreaker, plain and simple :cry: Our guys played their hearts out, and they went down swinging against the #1 seed, you gotta love it. And, you gotta keep Sean in there, he's our horse and he has done it all season for us, if anyone can get us out of that, it is him, apparently he just didn't have his best stuff today. I hope this doesn't psyche him out like the Astros closer in last years World Series, he hasn't played like himself since. Hopefully this doesn't devastate the guys too bad, I hope that can shrug off a tough one like this one and come back tomorrow to play as well as they did today. Congrats to the guys on a great, hard-fought game!

What a tough loss to the Tigers this afternoon! Our guys played good on the comeback, but we just didn't have it in the end. What do you guys think? Should we have left Sean in after he gave up the second base hit? I think it was evident that he was losing it a little bit, but Rob probably felt he could tough it through the last inning. I thought that he would tough it out too, but he just didn't have that edge today. Anyway, great game by the entire club. I am proud of this teams no-die attitude. Hopefully they can shrug this loss off by tomorrow.

I agree that this was a tough loss for the Eagles, but they should hold their heads up high. They are competing against the best in the country against talent that most people think that they shouldn't be very competitive against!

It was obvious that Sean didn't have his best stuff today. His pitches continued to be high in the strike zone and the last pitch was a hanging curve ball that never came down. Rob Walton did what any good Head Coach would have done. Sean got us to this point in the season and there wasn't anyone in the bullpen at that time in the game than Sean Jarrett to finish the game.

My prediction is that the team will regroup tonight and be very competitive tomorrow. Will we win tomorrow? Based on what I saw today, we are capable of taking two from Clemson in this series. I think that Clemson knows we are capable of doing this, too.

I agree that this was a tough loss for the Eagles, but they should hold their heads up high. They are competing against the best in the country against talent that most people think that they shouldn't be very competitive against!

You are absolutely right, Bogus! I was trying to watch the TV broadcast and listen to the radio at the same time. The TV announcers were abysmal - where do they get those guys from? - but the offset of the TV to the radio broadcast was too frustrating, so I stuck with the ESPN guys most of the way.

But after the game was over I switched back to listen to Jeff's postgame, and I was surprised to find that rather than being down and glum about the loss, he was upbeat and positive about it! He said that regardless of the score on the board, our guys played like CHAMPIONS today, and they did! He said it took the hearts of champions to come from behind in the ninth inning, and he was right! ANYBODY watching that game knows that little OR-who gave Clemson all they could handle. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

The question is, will this emotional loss let the air out from under the wings of the Golden Eagles? A couple of the guys that I've talked to think it might. But my feeling is that the same heart shown by the this team that gave us the lead in the ninth inning today will motivate them to give all they've got tomorrow. I predict right now - there will be no collapse by ORU tomorrow. They may not win, but they'll make a game of it. You can't ask more of them than that.

How about the play of our infield today? They made incredible play after incredible play. Our defense is one of the things that makes this team truly outstanding.

Does anyone know who might have traveled to Clemson for the games? We heard some ORU fans cheering from time to time.

we gave em all they could handle the cream just rose to the top we will come back hard at them tommorow

Guest EagleBackr

My takes:

? Who ya gonna bring in better than Jarrett in that 9th inning situation? Crichton is the only other reliever with comparable stuff, and he had already done his usual stellar stint. Looked like Jarrett was having trouble with the mound (same as the other ORU guys),

? How nails are the ORU hitters with two strikes and/or two outs? Totally focused.

? The announcers, if they weren't the official Clemson TV crew, had to be at LEAST the official ACC TV crew. They knew WAY too much about Clemson and WAY too little about ORU to be anything but. Jake goes behind 2nd base late for a SPECTACULAR play to get their #2 hitter, and all we hear about is how that was a great at-bat to get so many pitches! Got REAL tired of hearing about "Agg-wee-ar" , "Boo-shee", and "Duh-bunt" for the Golden Eagles.

? Is there anybody better in the country - at ANY level of baseball - at milking a mound appearance for all it's worth than Rob Walton? He waits till the very last SECOND before going to the top step of the dugout, walks out to the mound more deliberately than a monk on his way to chapel, and then keeps his back to the home plate umpire the ENTIRE time until the ump comes out and ASKS him whether he wants to make a change. Rob always always looks kind of surprised like, "Why, yes, thanks - I think we WILL make a pitching change." THEN THE UMP MOTIONS TO THE BULLPEN FOR HIM!! I'll bet he gets 10-12 extra pitches for his reliever in the bullpen. Just awesome!!

? No matter what happens tomorrow, I love this team. They aren't the most talented bunch, they just battle every inning till the last pitch. What more can you ask of them?

I watched the game this afternoon on ESPN, and the ESPN announcers seemed very impressed with that 3-run rally for ORU (down to their last strike; somehow the name Brad Lidge entered my mind). Seemed like Jarrett started out the bottom of the 9th very well, but then something happened. They got a few lucky bounces and all of a sudden the bases are loaded with 1 out, and I'm guessing the HR hitter saw that Uncle Charlie coming all the way, because he was waiting for it.

A coworker of mine who is a Mizzou grad guessed that ORU wouldn't have much of a chance against Clemson. I'm proud to see them prove otherwise.

I think cstv.com is also streaming all the games, unless I'm reading their site wrong, so even though I don't get ESPNU, I'm hoping I can still watch the game tomorrow. Good luck to the guys in forcing the Sunday game.

But it they are all that, why did it take a home run in the bottom of the ninth by their top player to beat ORU, a team ranked between 40 and 90 all season?

Those things happen in sports, especially baseball. Tight games between two teams that aren't ranked, or seeded, close to each other happens. Heck, even the underdog wins at times, that's unbelievable isn't it?

The announcers, if they weren't the official Clemson TV crew, had to be at LEAST the official ACC TV crew. They knew WAY too much about Clemson and WAY too little about ORU to be anything but. Jake goes behind 2nd base late for a SPECTACULAR play to get their #2 hitter, and all we hear about is how that was a great at-bat to get so many pitches! Got REAL tired of hearing about "Agg-wee-ar" , "Boo-shee", and "Duh-bunt" for the Golden Eagles.

A) Much of the broadcasters notes and information on any team is delivered by the Media Relations Department, so if you're unpleased with the lack of information talked about for ORU, you can always contact Cris Belvin.

B) Clemson is more of a national and well known program than us, so wouldn't you think there is more information on them than ORU? Research BestBuy and Mike's Computers Store, see which you'll find more information on.

C) The announcers made as much mention of the play as the at-bat. It was a spectacular play and there's nothing to take away from it, but in baseball, working the pitch count is consider a good feat as well.

D) Mis-pronouncing of names happen.

Guys, I'm not trying to upset you, but sour grapes do nothing in aiding what our boys did today. They didn't lay down and let what is billed as the number one team in the country run all over then like some people may of thought we would.