Omaha at ORU

theeagleman5

The Mavericks come to JLJ tonight for a 3 game series.....Omaha is 9-13 and 2-1 in the Summit winning a series at home last weekend vs. St. Thomas.....this is a big 3 game set for the Good Guys (16-9....3-0) and our last at home until later in the month when we return against NDSU......GO BLUE!!   :tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

Yes, with three long weeks before the next home game, I will definitely try to make it out for 1-2 of the games this weekend!

Tonight they are showing Sandlot on the scoreboard screen after the game - hoping the rain holds off.

Opening Day Baseball GIF by Wisconsin Sportscenter

So I just tuned into tonight's broadcast (because I'm literally a fair weather fan, and it's chilly outside), and who is providing color commentary along with Adam Hildebrand? 

None other than ORU Athletics student intern (and Summit League newcomer star) Issac McBride, who is doing a nice job!

But, should I have posted this on the Men's Basketball forum instead?

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Like 1

Tough 1-0 loss tonight, but just have to tip the cap to the Mavs.  They had excellent pitching and some stellar defensive plays to earn the win.  Hopefully, ORU’s depth will pay dividends in the remainder of the weekend series.  

Today is $1 hotdogs and a hat giveaway. Does anyone know details about the giveaway? I can't find anything on the website...

11 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Tough 1-0 loss tonight, but just have to tip the cap to the Mavs.  They had excellent pitching and some stellar defensive plays to earn the win.  Hopefully, ORU’s depth will pay dividends in the remainder of the weekend series.  

The diminutive home plate umpire was a clown.  Never seen a guy so anxious to make every pitch a called strike, so he could make his over-the-top strike call.  Especially on called third strikes; batters on both teams realized quickly they needed to swing at anything close to the plate with two strikes, or the little general was going to dramatically ring them up.

The last straw was when, in the bottom of the ninth trailing by one, the ORU leadoff man legged out a double and was called safe after appearing to beat the throw from the outfield.  Omaha appealed, and the same umpire took over ten minutes looking at the review before making a grand entrance back onto the field, gesticulating that the runner was instead thrown out.  Huge play, and according to the broadcast team, arguably wrong.

Very annoying when officials in any sport think that fans came to watch them do their jobs; baseball umpires are the most egregious offenders,

53 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The diminutive home plate umpire was a clown.  Never seen a guy so anxious to make every pitch a called strike, so he could make his over-the-top strike call.  Especially on called third strikes; batters on both teams realized quickly they needed to swing at anything close to the plate with two strikes, or the little general was going to dramatically ring them up.

The last straw was when, in the bottom of the ninth trailing by one, the ORU leadoff man legged out a double and was called safe after appearing to beat the throw from the outfield.  Omaha appealed, and the same umpire took over ten minutes looking at the review before making a grand entrance back onto the field, gesticulating that the runner was instead thrown out.  Huge play, and according to the broadcast team, arguably wrong.

Very annoying when officials in any sport think that fans came to watch them do their jobs; baseball umpires are the most egregious offenders,

Yep, that overturned play was huge. I wish GEB showed replays. I'm not sure what angle told the umps he was definitiively out.

Bats showed up today with a couple of solo HRs. ORU wins 6-1. Rubber game tomorrow.

The days of the Summit League being a walk-over for ORU are gone. 

Omaha and North Dakota State are both legit programs. The Bison won a game in their regional last season, and Omaha has some nice P5 wins in recent years.

These past two games have been really solid baseball; Sunday rubber game should be a good one!

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The days of the Summit League being a walk-over for ORU are gone. 

Omaha and North Dakota State are both legit programs. The Bison won a game in their regional last season, and Omaha has some nice P5 wins in recent years.

These past two games have been really solid baseball; Sunday rubber game should be a good one!

OT, there's no doubt that the quality of baseball being played in the Summit League is on the rise.  That certainly reduces the odds of a 10+ year streak of winning the conference tournament like ORU has enjoyed in the past. I didn't get to see Friday's game but I was able to see most of the game yesterday and I am impressed with Omaha.  They have a good squad and play the game very well.

In the big picture this could be a good thing for our program.  A higher level of competition could help the team to be better prepared for the NCAA tournament.  While ORU has always done a good job of scheduling challenging non-conference opponents many of those games are midweek games when you don't see your opponent's best pitching.  I often wonder if the reason Gonzaga doesn't always "play to their seed" is because of how little they are challenged within their conference.  I feel facing solid opponents throughout the conference schedule should help ORU improve as a team.

It is also possible that improving the quality of play within the conference could help ORU and other schools attract a higher level of talent.  Don't get me wrong, I love this year's team and I am often impressed by the level of talent that we put on the diamond but there is a class of player that other school's can attract more easily than ORU can.  

Looking forward to today's game and seeing our boys win the series.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:41 PM, ORUTerry said:

I loved hearing McBride on the broadcast yesterday.  I was going to go back and watch some of Friday's game assuming it was a one and done situation for the young intern. I assume he played in high school because he brought a lot of knowledge to the broadcast as well as a smooth confident style.  I hope to hear more of him as the season unfolds.

Sounds like we had a mini Joe West behind the plate on Friday Night...how can there be replay with the lousy camera angles available in the Summit League???...Good Guys need a win today....Go Blue!!!😎

On 4/2/2022 at 11:49 AM, Texasgrip said:

Yep, that overturned play was huge. I wish GEB showed replays. I'm not sure what angle told the umps he was definitiively out.

Bro, its not GEB its ORUSN!

8-0???   Pathetic...🤮🤢🤮

Season lowlight:  loading the bases with no outs in the bottom of the 8th; only to have the next two batters go down on called third strikes, followed by the catcher during the next at-bat picking the runner off at first before he could dive back to the bag following a pitch.

Which begs the question:  why are you even taking a lead at first with the bases loaded and two outs in an 8-0 game?? 🤔

• Upvote 1

Earlier in the game we had two runners in scoring position and went down looking.  That drives me crazy.