ORU hitting its stride at perfect time (TW)

praetorfenix86

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist

6/7/2006

Oral Roberts coach Rob Walton never panicked. He figured the return of his injury-wrecked pitching staff could change the season.

Little did he know how much different it would be.

ORU, 11-12 at one time this season, has now won 31 of its last 34.

It swept four games from rival Oklahoma State, including the Fayetteville Regional championship game on Sunday, and now finds itself just two victories from the College World Series.

The Golden Eagles are seeking their first visit to Omaha's Rosenblatt Stadium since 1978.

Perhaps at no time in the 28 years since that lone CWS appearance has ORU appeared so capable of reaching the final eight in the NCAA baseball tournament.

Oral Roberts, a third seed, swept the Fayetteville Regional with three victories without a loss (once over second-seeded Arkansas and twice over top-seeded OSU).

During the regular season the 41-14 Golden Eagles had beaten the Cowboys twice and Razorbacks once.

There was no lack of confidence.

"I think the confidence we played with had a lot to do with the nonconference schedule we played," said Walton.

We have tried very hard to make our nonconference schedule as difficult as possible to get us ready for this time of year.

"In the last couple of years, we've played teams like Miami, Florida State and Tulane. We've played all of the local teams that could play (OSU, Arkansas and Wichita State). We've tried to play all of the great programs we can play. Everyone knows who they are."

As a result, the Golden Eagles are no longer intimidated by teams from power conferences. They've already played many of the top teams in the country before getting to the NCAA Tournament.

"I think when you play teams like that it gives you a lot of confidence," said Walton. "Our schedule is very good. That does nothing but help us.

"Certainly, last weekend we were relaxed. I think there was a comfort level for us along with OSU and Arkansas because we had all played each other."

ORU turned around its season in late April. It got a couple of confidence-building victories over Wichita State and Oklahoma State.

Since then, the Golden Eagles have played as well as just about any team in the country.

"Winning breeds confidence," said Walton. "I think when you are winning games like we've been winning the past month, it just helps you to believe in yourself. You just believe you are going to continue to win games.

"Certainly, we haven't sat around and talked about streaks or anything. All we can do is take care of our business on that particular day. Our guys got better every day and now here is where we find outselves."

Where they find themselves is among the hottest teams in the country.

Yes, Clemson is the highest ranked team left in the tournament, but there is no reason for ORU to fear the Tigers.

ORU must go to Clemson for a best-of-three series with a trip to the College World Series on the line.

Oral Roberts has the talent and the confidence to take down the Tigers and get to Omaha.

The Golden Eagles have a chance because the season-long strengths of hitting and defense have been joined by a new-found strength on the mound.

Just how good has ORU been on the mound lately?

In four games against Oklahoma State, Oral Roberts allowed just 10 runs. That's great pitching against one of the top two hitting teams in the Big 12.

"I really believe the way we're playing we're capable of beating anyone," said Walton. "I don't think the intimidation factors into it at all. We've played there before. We've played some of the best teams in the country.

"Baseball is a funny game. Weird things can happen. We have a good club and we've gotten very hot over the last month. We have played well enough over the last month to believe we have a chance against anyone."

This may be ORU's best chance since the Golden Eagles made it to Omaha in 1978.

Other teams have been this close to the CWS before but didn't get it done.

This time the pitching may be enough to get it done.

"It was a matter of kicking the pitching coach in the pants and telling him to get the job done," said Walton.

Walton is the pitching coach. And he's got the Golden Eagles on the verge of history.

great article, i've always liked walton.

I'm trying to avoid any pre-game hype this time around, but i know what this amazing group of ORU ball-players are capable of. This could happen, they certainly have a chance. I'll be glued to my seat this weekend!