Rob Walton on the BUZZ....

ORUTerry

Chris Plank just said that they will have Rob Walton on for an interview during the 5:00 hour. I will try to listen and give a recap.

Darn it! They keep pulling me back in!

I agree.... just when I think I won't listen, they have an interview with an ORU coach. I wonder if they read the board?

Here is my recap; other who listened can add or elaborate:

Coach said the team's success is a tribute to former players. He mentioned a lot of them including Ryan Neal, who is now a coach. These players have allowed ORU to continue to get quality players.

Plank asked him about Chad Rothford. Coach said that Chad had a hot bat for about an 8 week stretch where he batted +.475. He cooled off a bit late in the season and then found his groove in the tournament. Plank asked about his 'bent arm' and how that might help his battling. Coach said that it might provide some discipline to keep him from extending his arm too soon in a swing. Said he is a big guy and thought he was one of the top California recruits last year.

Walton said that there have been lots of contributors; Duffy has probably been the most consistent and so has Bouchie. He said our middle infield is probably one of the best in the country. Overall, it has been a great group effort.

Asked about ORU's challenging schedule, Walton said that playing Miami, FSU, Baylor, Cal-irvine, etc on the road over the last several years has toughened the team. He said that the key is make adjustments in the first 25 games of the year - not the last 25. Walton said that ORU is scheduled to play home games against Long Beach State, Baylor and TCU next year.

Walton said that the pitching rotation should be similar to the Regional. The bullpen has been steady and we continue to play great defense. Plank mentioned the effort by Jarrett and Walton agreed that he was a difference maker. Plank mentioned the mental toughness of the team; Walton said he tells the team that opponents will make runs (like a basketball game) and you just have to absorb the surges.

ORU will leave Wed morning at 9:00 and workout in the afternoon - and then again on Thursday afternoon. He was asked if playing Clemson again (knocked out ORU in Regional last year) was any benefit/advantage. Walton said no, because ORU is almost a completely different team and Clemson returned close to 90% of their squad.

Asked to give a scouting report on Clemson, Walton said they are the whole package. There is a reason they are ranked #1. They remind him of the OSU teams he played on in the late 1980's. They hit close to 100 home runs, stole over 100 bases and have eight pitchers with ERA's under 3.00. ORU must do well on the mound to have a chance.

Walton thought this team could be good once they came together.... like the team from two years ago that was so talented.

Asked about the effect of the draft on players, he agreed that it could cause of a lack of focus. He does not think that will happen. (Bouchie was drafted in the 7th round this afternoon.)

The goal of the team is to get to the College World Series - and win it. The players believe they can win (they are confident in their abilities) and anything is possible.

Guest EagleBackr

Rob was also interviewed at 3:00 pm on The Sports Animal. Show host and former OSU standout Jim Traber mentioned to Rob that ORU's approach to the game reminded him a lot of OSU when he and Rob both played there in the 80's. Rob agreed that he had learned a lot from Gary Ward about a team's mental approach, and that he tried to instill that in ORU. It got me to thinking how much ORU's attitude really DOES resemble those powerhouse Cowboy teams. Confident and aggresive, yet not too cocky and still respectful of the opponent. It's a potent combination...

You're right, EB. It was interesting watching the team this past weekend as to how "quietly confident" they were while playing the games against U of A and OSU. Even when they were behind against OSU in Game 2, they never seemed rattled - just went along doing their jobs and kept plugging away knowing that their breaks were just a pitch away.

Unless a game really gets away from these guys (and there will be games that gets away from a team - it just happens), I think that this team believes enough in each other to pull it out each game.

I was listening to 97.1 today and they said that they were going to be at the wings to go watch party at 2pm. I wonder if the buzz will be there?