Shameless Clickbait Poll: Max Abmas This November?

Old Titan

Shameless Clickbait Poll: Max Abmas This November?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU think Max will be doing this November?

• Playing for ORU.
    • Playing for another school.
    • Playing professionally somewhere.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/14/2022 at 06:00 AM

Too early?

Yeah, maybe.

Does how ORU finishes the year affect the decision? 

Is his mind already made up?

I ask because lesser stars in the league who are eligible for next season, such as Sam Griesel of NDSU, plus Noah Freidel & Baylor Scheierman at SDSU, are rumored to be gone as well, to either other schools or the pros.

Max still needs to gain some weight and work on his game....not ready for the pros....he's a Golden Eagle til the end.....but then again....TheEagleman has never spoken to the kid.....maybe he goes to the Big 12.....😬

Really hard to say what Max will do. I could see Max going pro or going to medical school.

I think Max is in a unique position because he's an excellent student that from my understanding wants to be a doctor. The extra year of eligibility from Covid gives him options. I am assuming that he will graduate this year as KO did with a year of eligibly remaining. At this point it appears he has 3 options, 2 which seem most likely. 

1. He can go pro, which would probably mean playing overseas- where he could make a very good living. He is an outstanding college player, but at 5'11" and his overall play this year defensively and handling the ball he is unlikely to be drafted and making an NBA roster is probably unlikely. Please don't take this as a criticism, Max is a great college player, but in my opinion I don't think he has improved his draft stock this year. Making an NBA roster is extremely difficult- there are far more doctors, surgeons, lawyers and judges then there are NBA players!!  

2. He could apply to medical schools and I'm sure the basketball coach's at those schools could set him up a deal to, be admitted and play a year taking an easy course load(which is of course relative to us no none med school attendees) and get med school paid for through scholarship, plus get big time NIL deals and play at a Power 5 school.  When you can shoot like Max many things are negotiable!

3. He could come back to ORU for one more year, which I'm not sure at this stage of his career and life is the most likely. We would all love for him to come back, but is another year in the Summit League what's best for him at this point. Max has shown himself to be a very loyal guy, and obviously loves ORU and the coaches and his teammates, but is coming back really what's best for him and his achieving his long term goals whatever they may be?

Fortunately for Max, through hard work and dedication he has put himself into a position that he has several outstanding options available for next year. I have no doubt that he will excel at whatever he decides to do. But, he has this year to finish first. Lets finish this year the way I'm sure Max envisioned when he decided to return this year- with a a conference tourney championship, another NCAA big dance appearance and then we can all watch Max work his magic once again!!! 

Go Eagles!! 

How about the G League?  It seems like they also have a draft.  Would think he could play there and if he is successful then an NBA team might sign him to a short contact or 10-day deal.   Then he could go from there and at least get a shot at the NBA.

Keep in mind that, even though this is Max’s third season, he still has two years of eligibility left, due to the COVID exception every NCAA athlete was afforded for playing (or sitting out) last season. 

Going to medical school is a true full time commitment.  If you go to medical school, it would be really difficult to play basketball as well.  You really can’t be on the road all the time and at practice all the time in that scenario.

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Keep in mind that, even though this is Max’s third season, he still has two years of eligibility left, due to the COVID exception every NCAA athlete was afforded for playing (or sitting out) last season. 

Having 2 years of eligibility makes Max an even more attractive target for the poachers. One thing I would be very curious to know is if Max and KO are or have been in touch this year? Has Max gotten any first hand feedback on KO's decision to transfer, NIL $ comparisons, etc?

8 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Going to medical school is a true full time commitment.  If you go to medical school, you won’t be playing basketball as well.  You can’t be on the road all the time and at practice all the time in that scenario.

Obviously I didn't go to medical school! Actually; if truth be told, I chose ORU because it was easier to spell then a lot of other schools!  

Max will probably stay...you know the old saying...You can't beat Oral....😬

How do we know Max is graduating this year? 5% chance he is back next year if that’s the case, 20% chance he’s back if he’s not yet graduated. I doubt he tries to go pro yet but I think he moves to a bigger program. I think KO’s situation has worked out pretty well for the most part, and that’s got to weigh on his mind. 

I’d love to see him come back in an ORU uniform, but I just don’t see it making sense if I am in his shoes.  He’s put in his time here and has gotten from ORU what he can. He’s shown what he can do as the #1 option against lower tier competition, with the ball always in his hands. I think it would be in his best interest if he moves on and gives scouts a chance to see him against a different level of competition with a different role in the offense.

Can’t blame the guy if he does make the jump to another school, just got to be thankful for what he’s given us! 

• Upvote 1

If he decides to make a move to another school, there are lots of considerations and risks - including:

• What is the style of play?
  • What is the coaching staff like (personality, development, etc.)?
  • What is the team chemistry/teammates’ attitudes & temperament?

Might not get 40 minutes a game at a lot of other programs.  Always a lot of risk in transferring but Max will be a stud wherever he plays.  Some coaches might not feature him like Mills does though.

7 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Might not get 40 minutes a game at a lot of other programs.  Always a lot of risk in transferring but Max will be a stud wherever he plays.  Some coaches might not feature him like Mills does though.

Agreed and Max has the greenest light in all of college basketball playing for Mills.

• Upvote 1

Couple of thoughts to add to a lot of really good ones already:

• Max already did ORU a real solid by returning for another year following his stunning Sweet Sixteen performance. If he chooses to transfer, I would totally respect his decision. 
  • If he does transfer, Max needs to consider not just the school but the conference he would be joining. He could possibly be a defensive liability in the power leagues that feature much bigger and stronger guards than the Summit, which might limit his playing time in big games and big moments. 
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

If he does transfer, Max needs to consider not just the school but the conference he would be joining. He could possibly be a defensive liability in the power leagues that feature much bigger and stronger guards than the Summit, which might limit his playing time in big games and big moments. 

Good thoughts - I would argue that a big power conference is exactly what Max needs, though. He has been able to “hide” on defense his whole career at ORU. Though I admit he’s made huge strides and, in my opinion, is a good defender, I would assume that he’s written off at the next level because of the level of offensive competition he’s facing. Even if he’s improved defensively, and continues to improve, this is the biggest knock that scouts have against him that will prevent his name from getting to the desk of NBA decision makers (if that’s his goal - he already has a great resume to play in Europe).

If I’m giving Max advice, I would tell him that he’s proved himself offensively. It’s time to attack the defensive “weakness”, real or perceived. Go to a power conference program with a coach that emphasizes the defensive side of the ball and try to eliminate that criticism. 

Following the above path could also backfire and be the slow death of his basketball  career. 🤔