Frustrating

oruvoice

On my way to a sales call yesterday, I flipped over to AM 1430 at 2pm, to hear the opening of Plank's show to hear their takes on ORU's amazing regional victory!

After 15 minutes of the opening segment, Plank finally mentioned (in ho-hum fashion) that ORU won the Fayetteville regional. He talked PGA championship at Southern Hills (which is 14 months from now), he mentioned the NBA finals, the Stanley Cup starting, the women's softball world series, NASCAR, Michelle Wie, the Tulsa Drillers regular season game, the Tulsa Talons game, and his round earlier in the day at Southern Hills, before the words ORU came out of his mouth...15 minutes into the show!

I realize that ORU babseball isn't going to be a big topic for him, but his TOTAL disinterest in a great accomplishment for a local team is appaling! I promise you, that if TU had won a regular season tiddlywinks match against OSU or Arkansas, he would have opened his show screaming his excitement about it.

I'm not going to proclaim that you shouldn't listen to that show or make a personal attack on him, but yesterday reaffirmed to me a lot of things.....

I was listening to Big Al Jerkens show around 1:45 and Scott Higgins was guest hosting for him. Scott and Pat Jones talked about it for a few minutes and Pat Jones said he thought ORU would surprise Clemson this weekend and beat them.

I was in and out of my car yesterday and listened to both stations. The difference in coverage is dramatic. Plank acts like it is painful for him to mention ORU. I know they were promoting the PGA and were on site at Southern Hills, but come one guys - ORU just won a regional and in the process beat two local schools (OSU and Arkansas).

AM 1550's shows mentioned ORU throughout the day. The Tulsa show (Scott Higgins was covering for Al Jerkins) spoke about the games and how well ORU played - and the chances for ORU to do well against Clemson. The station even has a promo congratulating ORU's win; it goes something like: From one #1 to another #1 - am1550 congratulates the Golden Eagles on their regional championship.... It's a nice touch. The surprising thing was how much coverage we got from the OKC show. Traber talked about Rob Walton and the roll the team is on. And then after 6:00, Al Eschback and John Rhode had a long conversation about ORU baseball and how exciting the Saturday game was. Great coverage for the program on that side of the state.

I don't listen to the Buzz anymore during their local shows. The Buzz is definitely the TU radio network during local sports shows. Expect to hear about every single program from womens softball, to golf, to football recruits coming in, and some new story on Doug Wojik. And then, "ORU, finally won their regional in the tournament". Nevermind that we've been to a regional every year for almost a decade, that we dominated against two local area powerhouses, that we've been on an amazing tear from the middle of the season til now winning 30 of 32 or something like that, that we've won 9 conference tournament titles, that we have 10 wins against the tournament field, and that we will be playing the #1 overall seed to go to the CWS. None of that matters to them.

Voice, I am not surprised. Saddened, but not surprised. I remember last year when a caller from out of state really called them out on their bias, and Plank had the nerve to just sit there and agree with them. It was the 1st year we had the mid-con tourney in Tulsa. We had that 20-win season, were headed into the tournament as a #1, and it was in our own city. Did they spend 5 min on it? Not at all. Guess who was the topic of discussion? TU's new coach. The caller was a gentleman visiting from out of town who said he could give a rat's behind about any of the Oklahoma sports teams, but when you have a team with a 20-win season that is getting ready for a conference tournament where they are the #1 seed in their own city, and all you can talk about is a sports team that didn't make the tournament, had a miserable season, and just fired their coach; something is wrong with that picture. That's just wrong.

All I can do is express my discontent and change loyalties.

The Sports Animal has been a godsend for my local sports fix. The coverage on ORU sports is only a little better, but I don't have to hear an unbalanced amount of coverage on TU sports. I'm fine with that. Plus they have our own Scott Higgins on quite often, and I don't have to hear commercials about strip clubs and abortion clinics. Not like that would keep me from listening, but it's just an added bonus. I'm encouraging everybody that is not pleased with AM 1430 the Buzz to express your discontent and change over to either FM 97.1 or AM 1550 The Sports Animal.

Good call vcboy and voice, I was listening to Plank throughout the day maybe 15 minutes here and there and nothing about ORU and we had clinched the regional the day before. I usually switch back and forth between 1430 and 97.1 due to the reception in my car, but I have been noticing lately that it is on 97.1 a whole lot more than 1430. 97.1 just seems to mention more interesting things on their program including ORU. So im down vcboy gonna be 97.1 in my car more and more unless my reception goes bad.

To be honest, Plank is an idiot to begin with. The topics on their show are far inferior to those on the animal. All of the hosts on the animal have great discussions about sports instead of strippers and beer. I've been listening to the animal for a long time now, and I thank God every day for it.