Jump to content

ORU vs. North Dakota State


ORUTerry
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great call with two seconds left and Carlos throws length of the floor pass to Lacis who then flipped the ball to Max for the three.  Even through it was too strong, the play design was top notch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Great call with two seconds left and Carlos throws length of the floor pass to Lacis who then flipped the ball to Max for the three.  Even through it was too strong, the play design was top notch.

It was!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We now have two losses at home this season, both ending with ORU missing a buzzer-beater that would have turned the loss into victory.  As with the loss to OkState, this one will sting for awhile…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are a couple of takeaways from the game last night: first NDState played their A game and we did not and we lost by 1 point. They shot around 41% from 3 we shot around 24%. Secondly we had been riding a nice winning streak and perhaps the players were getting a little overconfident so now the coaches can send the message that there is room to improve and the players listen. Much better to peak in mid-late February and really peak in the conference tournament. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really agree with your analysis ORU 40! Well said.  Hopefully they will do this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random observations:

  • This loss could be big in terms of conference seeding. ORU is one game ahead in the league, but still has to travel to Fargo to play NDSU…. which becomes really important because a Bison win would give them the tiebreaker 
  • For the second game in a row, we missed multiple layups and open three pointers. A lot of our shots were short and we looked tired at times. 
  • We did better on the boards (40 rebounds vs their 33) and second chance points (11 vs. 5)
  • NDSU typically did not initiate their offense until around 10 seconds were left on the shot clock. As ORU40 said, the Bison played inside-out and got several of our post defenders (Lacis, Lufile) in foul trouble (2) in the first half. Would have liked to see more minutes from Herron and Lufile - especially in the second half. I think Lufile grabbed a couple of offensive rebounds when he was playing - which would have been helpful in the second half.
  • We obviously were out of synch from the three point line. Lots of misses that were open, but others that were contested and probably should not have been made. Our guards also dribbled the ball too much - which (I think) resulted in numerous turnovers. We had 12 (resulted in only 5 Bison points) and NDSU had 9 (resulting in 6 ORU points). 
  • I wonder what Mills’ absence had on us? I continue to be impressed by our out of bounds plays and plays out of time outs - including the last second look by Amas. 
  • How about those officials?

     
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with everything being said. This loss can either propel this team into another long winning streak or provide confidence to other teams and narrow the gap between 2nd and 3rd. 
Impressed with the execution of the team in the final minutes, especially without Coach Mills on the bench. Can’t ask for a better look with 2 seconds left going the full length of the court. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enjoyed reading everyone's perspectives; good stuff.  Just a couple of additional thoughts on what was for the most part a really strange game:

  • With the offense being so one-diminsional, not going to beat many (any?) folks shooting so poorly from three and not getting to the free throw line enough.  Would it have killed ORU to post ANYONE - Weaver, Lacis, Jurgens, Thompson, et al, just to keep the Bison honest and maybe draw a foul or two?
  • Never posting anyone up not only gives the defense a free pass to overplay the perimeter, it also keeps their big men in the game for more minutes by avoiding foul trouble defendng the block.
  • Some may be surprised to see me saying this, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em:  Trey Phipps made SEVERAL heady plays last night, even on DEFENSE.  Such a wily cat...
  • Not a huge fan of the ball sticking in Max's hands the final minutes of close games.  I agree he should take the big shots when trailing, and should draw fouls and get to the free throw line late when winning.  But last night, ORU was neither down the stretch:  not ahead, and not in the 1-and-1.  Run plays to get him an open shot, please.
  • Not playing Elijah and Sir Issac more is an absolute crime, and if SIH's body language on the bench down the stretch last night was any indication, he shares in my frustration.
  • Just curious how NDSU fans would feel if a referee from Tulsa was the lead official when ORU plays up at their place?  (The bald-headed ref running the show last night, Mark Riggs, is from none other than Fargo).
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the assessments posted above.  It really is frustrating wondering why we do not post up inside more often and use our bigs more than we currently do.  On a side note and I am hesitant to go there but to me our broadcast team would be better if Josh Salim was NOT broadcasting.  After listening to him during Thursday night's UND broadcast I finally turned off the sound Saturday night and just watched the live stream.  I think we could do better.  Love to listen to Adam call the game but not with Salim by his side. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Enjoyab;e reading everyone's perspectives; good stuff.  Just a couple of additonal thoughts on what was for the most part a really strange game:

  • With the offense being so one-diminsional, not going to beat many (any?) folks shooting so poorly from three and not getting to the free throw line enough.  Would it have killed ORU to post ANYONE - Weaver, Lacis, Jurgens, Thompson, et al, just to keep the Bison honest and maybe draw a foul or two?
  • Never posting anyone up not only gives the defense a free pass to overplay the perimeter, it also keeps their big men in the game for more minutes by avoiding foul trouble defendng the block.
  • Some may be surprised to see me saying this, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em:  Trey Phipps made SEVERAL heady plays last night, even on DEFENSE.  Such a wily cat...
  • Not a huge fan of the ball sticking in Max's hands the final minutes of close games.  I agree he should take the big shots when trailing, and should draw fouls and get to the free throw line late when winning.  But last night, ORU was neither down the stretch:  not ahead, and not in the 1-and-1.  Run plays to get him an open shot, please.
  • Not playing Elijah and Sir Issac more is an absolute crime, and if SIH's body language on the bench down the stretch last night was any indication, he shares in my frustration.
  • Just curious how NDSU fans would feel if a referee from Tulsa was the lead official when ORU plays up at their place?  (The bald-headed ref running the show last night, Kelly Riggs, is from none other than Fargo).

Looking at the box score from Saturday's game its looks like his name is Mark Riggs. I have no idea where he is from but Im not aware hes from Fargo. Kelly Pfeifer use to do a lot of Summit games but has now moved up to more Big 10/MW games is from Mitchell, SD. Rob Kueneman like Pfiefer use to do a lot of SL games but has sinced moved up is from Fargo. Not saying Riggs isnt from Fargo, but I have never heard that before.

 

As for the game, I dont think either team played their best, but both played hard. Seems to always be good games between the the two schools. Max is so good, players of his skill level dont come around oftern in the SL. A treat to watch him play. Wouldnt surprise if they match up for a 3rd time in Sioux Falls in March.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoopsBison said:

Looking at the box score from Saturday's game its looks like his name is Mark Riggs. I have no idea where he is from but Im not aware hes from Fargo. Kelly Pfeifer use to do a lot of Summit games but has now moved up to more Big 10/MW games is from Mitchell, SD. Rob Kueneman like Pfiefer use to do a lot of SL games but has sinced moved up is from Fargo. Not saying Riggs isnt from Fargo, but I have never heard that before.

 

As for the game, I dont think either team played their best, but both played hard. Seems to always be good games between the the two schools. Max is so good, players of his skill level dont come around oftern in the SL. A treat to watch him play. Wouldnt surprise if they match up for a 3rd time in Sioux Falls in March.

I was just editing my post when you posted:  Mark, not Kelly, Riggs.

And as for his base of operations:  another poster on this forum (who may either chime in to confirm, or understandably remain out of the fray) managed to snag midcourt tickets along the old "press row" for the ORU game that Riggs last called (Omaha on January 1st), and he invited me to join him.  From that vantage point, you are inches from the court.

Riggs was very chatty during dead balls and spoke to us on a number of occasions during the game.  At one point he said he was from Fargo, and that this is first year calling Summit League games*

Eighteen of his 24 games this season have involved Summit League teams; 6 of those were conference games, 12 were non-conference.  Last night was his fourth ORU game, and easily his worst.  Shockingly unbalanced, particularly in the first half.  Here's a breakdown of his season:

 

Mark Riggs.jpeg

*EDIT:   "After further review" (lol) this part is not accurate. Looking back on the KenPom website, it shows Riggs has called games in the Summit League for years, including two games between ORU and UMKC last season.  That "first year" comment came from another ref on that night's crew who was also chatting us up, Tariq Lucas, who before this season called most of his games in the MAC and OVC.  He has called four Summit League games so far this year.  And, for the record, he was excellent that night, unlike Riggs who was obsessed with giving "flopping" warnings.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I was just editing my post when you posted:  Mark, not Kelly, Riggs.

And as for his base of operations:  another poster on this forum (who may either chime in to confirm, or understandably remain out of the fray) managed to snag midcourt tickets along the old "press row" for the ORU game that Riggs last called (Omaha on January 1st), and he invited me to join him.  From that vantage point, you are inches from the court.

Riggs was very chatty during dead balls and spoke to us on a number of occasions during the game.  At one point he said he was from Fargo, and that this is first year calling Summit League games. 

Eighteen of his 24 games this season have involved Summit League teams; 6 of those were conference games, 12 were non-conference.  Last night was his fourth ORU game, and easily his worst.  Shockingly unbalanced, particularly in the first half.  Here's a breakdown of his season:

 

Mark Riggs.jpeg

Gotcha, I thought maybe you were confusing him for Kelly Pfeifer. I was at his game in Fargo vs SDSU and that crew really struggled that night as well. Richman was nearly tossed that game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, HoopsBison said:

Gotcha, I thought maybe you were confusing him for Kelly Pfeifer. I was at his game in Fargo vs SDSU and that crew really struggled that night as well. Richman was nearly tossed that game.

Got it.

And, a clarification:  when I say his calls were “unbalanced”, it has nothing to do with the NUMBER of fouls each way; it means what is considered a foul (or not a foul) is different from one end to the other. 

I roll my eyes when fans, coaches, etc. get all hung up with foul disparity.  Some teams just foul more, or less.  But, if you’re going to call hand-checking on one end, just call it on the other end as well, OK??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheEagleman was out last night a didn't see a lick of this game....probably just as well....really discouraging to see the final score....hope Coach Mills is back on his feet soon.....:shield-logo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I roll my eyes when fans, coaches, etc. get all hung up with foul disparity.  Some teams just foul more, or less.  But, if you’re going to call hand-checking on one end, just call it on the other end as well, OK??

I hate to be the "I hate the officials" guy but since I already brought it up and everyone else is too...

This Mark Riggs guy has been awful in each game I've watched him. It was absolutely impossible to determine what was a foul last night and what wasn't. I felt the other two guys called a pretty consistent game, but he was all over the place, completely inconsistent with how the others were calling things.

I recognize that it's hard to really evaluate one ref alone - the whole crew should really be evaluated together - but this guy has stood out (not a good sign for an official) in each of the games I've watched for his inconsistency with the rest of the crew. In reality, I don't think there was any effect on the outcome of the game last night as I think NDSU was hosed on quite a few calls and we got away with some too. It's just infuriating trying to enjoy a game while wondering when/how the refs are going to insert themselves this time. 

I would also like to point out that Max IS being fouled every time down the court. The strategy for every team we've faced is to get as handsy with him as possible from the get go. Obviously refs are not evaluating that the same way that I am, but that's what I see. For whatever reason, Max just does not seem to draw fouls. Really good players know how to pick up ticky tack fouls on their defenders and create frustration. If Max can learn that skill, he could really take a leap. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheEagleman woke up this morning still feeling down about this loss.....but then i realized that we have Omaha coming up on Thursday Night.....and things could be a lot worse....I could be a Buffalo Bills Fan......😉

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman woke up this morning still feeling down about this loss.....but then i realized that we have Omaha coming up on Thursday Night.....and things could be a lot worse....I could be a Buffalo Bills Fan......😉

Or an Eagles or a Cowboys fan 🤦‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...