Conference games

Keenan Henderson

NDSU escapes in Macomb, 84-81 in double overtime. 

Western had leads late in regulation and both overtimes, but could not close the deal.

No help from WIU....it figures.....ORU just may have to beat the Bison in Fargo next week if we want 2nd place....gonna be a very tall task.....:NDSU:

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty good stuff from UMKC.  Would be cool if they pull off the upset, though a 'Roos win and a GEagles loss puts "us" in 4th place for the second year in a row...

Does anyone understand the tiebreaker system in the SL well enough to figure out the seeds if UMKC beats SDSU, ORU beats South Dakota, and NDSU beats North Dakota?

Edit: Just figured it out, the second tie breaker is best record against the top seeded team not involved in the tie, making UMKC the 2, NDSU the 3, and ORU the 4 I believe.

Edited by ORob2
Answered question

Two questions for you guys:

1) Between NDSU & SDSU, who does ORU match up best against and have the best chance to beat?

2) Based on recent history, emotions and motivation, which would our players want/not want to play again?  

I’m a firm believer in the “it’s difficult to beat (an evenly matched) opponent three times” theory and they’ve both beaten us twice already, so I like our chances.  Considering the recent melee in Fargo, and Thursday nights heartbreaker at home, who would our guys, individually (Max, Lufile, Coach Mills, etc.) rather play?  

Rob

Historically , despite what coaches and media-types like to say heading into such match-ups, teams that have already won twice typically win the third game as well. Good stays good; not-as-good too.

Calling it right now:  Western Illinois wins over ORU in the 3-vs-6 game, UNLESS Paul Mills & Co. double the post or play an effective zone that packs the paint. The big euro Barisic will go “full Appel” otherwise; he did it already in their win in Tulsa. 

Both SDSU and NDSU are tough teams to beat.  Based on recency bias, I think ORU would have better odds against NDSU, but in that matchup we will have to rely more on the jump shot due to the height of NDSU creating more of a difficulty driving to the basket.

• Like 1

Wasn't expecting much help from the now 6-25 "Fighting" Hawks.  It would have been an epic road loss for the Bison. 

Looks like seeding for conference tourament will come down to SDSU/UMKC game tonight. If my understanding of the standings is correct we are looking at two options.

If SDSU wins

1.SDSU vs 8.Omaha
2.NDSU vs 7.Denver
3.ORU vs 6.WIU
4.UMKC vs 5.USD

If Kansas City wins

1.SDSU vs 8.Omaha
2.UMKC vs 7.WIU
3.NDSU vs 6.Denver
4.ORU vs 5.USD

• Upvote 1

SDSU finishes 18-0 in conference play, first time in the history of the Summit League.  Congrats to the Jackrabbits, very good team with a lot of offensive weapons.  Would think that locks it up for Schierman as player of the year.

St. Thomas also wins and would have finished as an 8 seed, if they were eligible for the Summit League tournament.