Conference games

Keenan Henderson

Does anyone know why SDSU played at Omaha today, instead of the other way around?  Omaha and Denver are normally travel partners, as are the two South Dakota schools.  But tonight, Denver played at USD and SDSU at Omaha.  On Saturday, the schedule returns to “normal” with Denver coming to SDSU, and Omaha plays at USD.  The next time these schools play, the scenario will flip, with Omaha coming to SDSU, and then returning home to play USD in the same week. 

Perhaps there was a venue scheduling difficulty?  In any case, I don’t think it creates an unfair advantage or disadvantage, I just found it odd.   I don’t see any other situation like this in the entire Summit schedule.  

12 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Does anyone know why SDSU played at Omaha today, instead of the other way around?  Omaha and Denver are normally travel partners, as are the two South Dakota schools.  But tonight, Denver played at USD and SDSU at Omaha.  On Saturday, the schedule returns to “normal” with Denver coming to SDSU, and Omaha plays at USD.  The next time these schools play, the scenario will flip, with Omaha coming to SDSU, and then returning home to play USD in the same week. 

Perhaps there was a venue scheduling difficulty?  In any case, I don’t think it creates an unfair advantage or disadvantage, I just found it odd.   I don’t see any other situation like this in the entire Summit schedule.  

I heard it had something to do with a "hockey-ice-in-the-way" conflict for one of those schools on one of their two weekends of playing each other.  That one weekend being screwed up meant their other weekend together had to be symmetric.

WIU bounces back with a big win in overtime against NDSU on the road.  The Leathernecks are still a force to be reckoned with in the Summit League.  That win by ORU on the road against Western Illinois is looking better and better.

• Upvote 1

Big WIU win at NDSU....:wiu:

One reason I like the win WIU had over the Bison is that it shows more parity in the league. The top five teams: SDSU, ORU, KC, WIU and NDSU can win on any given night. You may even be able to throw St. Thomas in there. Very good for our conference, in my opinion. Here's hoping that a few teams can knock off SDSU.

Something that is crazy after seeing the UMKC plays at home again tonight versus Denver:

With their 2-week Covid pause, the Roos have not had to travel since getting back from Christmas break. Quite the advantage to sleep in your own bed and avoid traveling to open up your new year! Now of course it will all even out as the Summit League has made the wise decision to reschedule games rather than just not play them. It could be a busy second half of league play for the Roos in regards to travel!

Surprising outcome in KC as Denver leads wire-to-wire for the win. 

Pioneers ran an effective zone while continuously getting to the line against UMKC’s grabbing defense. 

Very different approach than ORU, with similar results. Two ways to skin the Roo, I suppose…

Game plan for beating the Roos.  Drain the threes or make them shoot threes.  Either way works.  

I did wonder why ORU didn’t shift to a zone at UMKC to stop all their points in the paint.  Denver must have been wondering the same thing. 

38 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Game plan for beating the Roos.  Drain the threes or make them shoot threes.  Either way works.  

I did wonder why ORU didn’t shift to a zone at UMKC to stop all their points in the paint.  Denver must have been wondering the same thing. 

Actually ORU did play a zone for the last couple of minutes of the first half and it was very effective.  Not sure why they went away from it in the second half.

NDSU loses another conference game this time versus KC and now sit at 3-3 in the standings.  The Bison lead by 14 in the first half but let the game slip right through their fingers.  NDSU is really struggling on defense having given up 85 points per game in the last two losses.  

9 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

NDSU loses another conference game this time versus KC and now sit at 3-3 in the standings.  The Bison lead by 14 in the first half but let the game slip right through their fingers.  NDSU is really struggling on defense having given up 85 points per game in the last two losses.  

They will be hungry on Saturday. That's going to be a challenging game - if the guys come out flat like they did last night it could get ugly.

NDSU was scoreless for a stretch extending over EIGHT minutes midway through the second half, while UMKC went on a 21-0 run.  😳

NDSU was sloppy with the ball, turning the ball over 16 times.  ORU needs to exploit this with some tough defensive play on Saturday night.  

Conference standings:   Link

At Jan 21:

SDSU at 7-0 and ORU at 7-1.

4 teams (NDSU. USD, WIU and UMKC) at 3-3

Looking at these standings, NDSU is our biggest competition for the 2 seed in the tourney. If we can beat them tomorrow, I just don't see a scenario where we collapse enough that they can come back and challenge us for that spot. We wouldn't be completely out of the woods, obviously, but I think at that point it would be more of a chase of SDSU and that first seed and less trying to make sure you don't lose the 2 seed and that extra day of rest. All this to say, tomorrow is a big game. 

• Upvote 3

They're all big games.

ORU is getting everyone's best shot, and there are some really low barriers of entry for opponents to make things difficult for a team of ORU's make-up.

No game is a given, and ORU is as likely to run the table in conference play as they are to drop a half-dozen remaining games.  

And so far, there's not a single team I've seen that DOESN'T worry me to play in Sioux Falls.

Just gotta show up and execute:  Every.  Single.  Night.  💪

• Like 1

TheEagleman heard Scott Van Pelt say on his ESPN show BAD BEATS the other night after 6th ranked Duke lost at Florida State that EVERY CONFERENCE ROAD GAME is tough all the time.....and I think OT has said it correctly that basically EVERY CONFERENCE GAME PERIOD is tough especially in the Summit League....we have a good 13-6 team at ORU but after last night vs. UND it's evident that we are NOT good enough just to show up and get a win against anybody in any arena.... TheEagleman had fallen into the trap and felt ORU would win by 20+ vs. a generally bad UND squad at home....well, I was clearly mistaken.....ORU played bad and we almost lost what should have been a relatively easy W....NDSU will come to Tulsa in a foul mood tomorrow after losing at UMKC and the Good Guys will clearly need to step up their game in order to get a victory.....this is a HUGE GAME.....heck, they are all huge but this one especially since we are playing a Top 3 Summit League team in the Bison.....hopefully the lads are watching some tape today and getting their heads in order for NDSU.....TheEagleman doesn't like the Bison one bit.....ORU needs to pound these guys....should be a big boistrous crowd at Mabee and they shouldn't have to leave disappointed.....GO BLUE!!!  :circle-logoi:

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

And so far, there's not a single team I've seen that DOESN'T worry me to play in Sioux Falls.

Just gotta show up and execute:  Every.  Single.  Night.  💪

I said the exact thing to ORob2 last night.  We have the ability to beat everyone in the league BUT nearly every team  in the league is capable of beating us if we don't play our best...The conference tournament will be a nail-biter every night!   

• Like 1