Jump to content

ORU at Central Arkansas


ORUTerry
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Golden Eagles travel to Conway, Arkansas to play the Bears of Central Arkansas. The Bears are 0-3 so far, with road losses against St. Louis, Butler and Baylor. This will obviously be their first home game. 

The Bears returned around 56% of last year’s scoring and this year their metrics are:

53.7  ppg    
37.7% FG%
29.5% 3-pt%
67.7% FT%
21.0  turnover per game

Here is a link to more stats on Central Arkansas:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/central-arkansas/2022.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UCA has 9 guys on their roster that are between 6'7 and 7 foot.  So they may look to pound the ball inside and control the boards.  That is what they did two years ago when they beat ORU in an exhibition game.  Eagles will need some help from Clover, Herron, and Lufile on Saturday afternoon.

On a side note we can watch the game on the UCA Sports Network for $5.95.  May have to tap into the savings for this one (lol)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

UCA has 9 guys on their roster that are between 6'7 and 7 foot.  So they may look to pound the ball inside and control the boards.  

PLEEEEEEEEASE DON'T START DJ AT THE 5.

This one will be a much truer test for us fans to gauge where we're at. We will see if we've made any improvements on defense, though I'm pessimistic that we have after watching the last two games against NAIA level competition. I am sure UCA will be hungry and will give us a bit of a challenge, but their closest loss is 32 points this year.  ORU pulls this one out 88-80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ORU probably a 6-8 point favorite in this one....TheEagleman agrees that it will most likely be a high scoring affair.....expecting the Good Guys to be chucking it up from all over the place while UCA pounds it down low.....hoping that our guys put together a solid effort especially on defense....but appears ORU is in run and gun mode to start the season......ORU 91  UCA 81....GO BLUE!!  :tb-white:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Bears have lost to 3 good teams so this may not be an easy one. I agree our bigs will have to play well and our shooters need to hit some shots. We need Sir Isaac to have a break out game which he is capable of and Eli and Nate to play aggressive and strong!. The 3's will come easier with a better inside game. Hopefully McBride can contribute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will McBride play if he makes it? Not sure the circumstances, but it would be hard to insert him back into the lineup if he's been out for any amount of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UCA has struggled, averaging 21 turnovers per game.  When ORU is playing well on defense then they are getting steals and then hitting layups or fast break opportunites.   That may be the key to tomorrow's game.

It also feels like Max is ready for a breakout game.  Yes, UCA will throw all kinds of defenses at him but I think Max will still score 25-30 and have five assists.  In the end, he is the All-American and ORU goes as he goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Central Arkansas stinks....bottom of the barrel of mid majors....if ORU is going to do anything this season we have to go to Conway and show it....this should be a double digit win....TheEagleman isn't expecting a blowout and perfection...would be nice but not likely in game four of the season....just looking for a solid win....GO BLUE!!!...:shield-logo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ORU is -11 at Central Arkansas...thats a high number....a little too pricey....😯

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU is -11 at Central Arkansas...thats a high number....a little to pricey....😯

Agreed. Don’t take that - too many unknowns about this team. Losing this game is still a real possibility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope our guys are dialed in today so we don't make this a close one. After watching Arizona vs Witcita State last night (both unranked) it is obvious there are some really good teams early in the season playing at a high level. It makes me glad our early schedule is easy because we aren't ready yet to play these kind of teams. My hope is we figure it out and develop quickly. Hopefully like last year it's not how you start its how you finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my humble opinion we need to get back to basics, this team is not the sweet 16 group. Its different personnel with different skills, particularly at the 4 spot which had been our main offensive weapon, in that KO setting the high pick and pop with Max was an outstanding set that was hugely successful. We can't run that this year nearly as effectively without KO, its not just replacing KO's shooting, but not having a known treat setting that pick is hurting Max as well.

Unfortunately, it's obvious that this years team-particularly the new guys, have a shoot first mentality!! It's not working and it's not going to work.

We need to get back to the basics of earning playing time by playing tough D, not turning the ball over, boxing out physically and going to get rebounds. And instead of just taking the first shot available- we need to  pass the ball around and get good shots(our shot selection is not good) after making the defense work. The shots we are taking we can get at any time in our offense, lets make the D work and get good shots, we'll improve or FG% which is offensive efficiency and put a lot more pressure on opposing defenses which we are bailing out right now with quick, low percentage shots! 

Against Haskell, we had more turnovers (17) then assists (14), that's a negative assist to TO ratio against an NAIA team at HOME, that is absolutely not winning basketball!! Also against Haskell, our leading rebounder was our 2 guard, our bigs need to start focusing on their primary responsibility which is interior defense(rim protection) and rebounding the basketball, not picking on Weaver individually, but to illustrate my point he was our starting 4 or 5 against an NAIA team at Home and we went small with him as one of only 2 bigs and he had 1 rebound, that's not winning basketball. 

We need to get away from the shoot first frame of mind we're in and stop launching quick 3's and start thinking about how we can help our teammates and our team. Good players make their teammates better!!

There is plenty of time to get our season back on track, its early. Lets get back to the basics and good things will happen!!

Go Eagles!!!

         

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Agreed. Don’t take that - too many unknowns about this team. Losing this game is still a real possibility. 

$$$ pouring in for ORU, as the line has moved to -12.5.  The "investors" obviously have a lot of confidence in the Golden Eagles.  While I think we have a very good opportunity for a victory, a 12.5 spread on the road for a team that lives and dies from beyond the arc is a tough call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheEagleman has a small teaser on UCA and the Over...hard to put a lot of $$$ on an 0-3 team with all blowout losses...😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ORU40 said:

In my humble opinion we need to get back to basics, this team is not the sweet 16 group. Its different personnel with different skills, particularly at the 4 spot which had been our main offensive weapon, in that KO setting the high pick and pop with Max was an outstanding set that was hugely successful. We can't run that this year nearly as effectively without KO, its not just replacing KO's shooting, but not having a known treat setting that pick is hurting Max as well.

Unfortunately, it's obvious that this years team-particularly the new guys, have a shoot first mentality!! It's not working and it's not going to work.

We need to get back to the basics of earning playing time by playing tough D, not turning the ball over, boxing out physically and going to get rebounds. And instead of just taking the first shot available- we need to  pass the ball around and get good shots(our shot selection is not good) after making the defense work. The shots we are taking we can get at any time in our offense, lets make the D work and get good shots, we'll improve or FG% which is offensive efficiency and put a lot more pressure on opposing defenses which we are bailing out right now with quick, low percentage shots! 

Against Haskell, we had more turnovers (17) then assists (14), that's a negative assist to TO ratio against an NAIA team at HOME, that is absolutely not winning basketball!! Also against Haskell, our leading rebounder was our 2 guard, our bigs need to start focusing on their primary responsibility which is interior defense(rim protection) and rebounding the basketball, not picking on Weaver individually, but to illustrate my point he was our starting 4 or 5 against an NAIA team at Home and we went small with him as one of only 2 bigs and he had 1 rebound, that's not winning basketball. 

We need to get away from the shoot first frame of mind we're in and stop launching quick 3's and start thinking about how we can help our teammates and our team. Good players make their teammates better!!

There is plenty of time to get our season back on track, its early. Lets get back to the basics and good things will happen!!

Go Eagles!!!

         

Man, I hate to tell you, but this is simply the way this staff plays, which is tough for old traditionalists like us.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for them to feed the post, or make the extra pass, or anything else conventional. 

Get ready for 30-40 threes taken EVERY SINGLE GAME, just as soon as they have a decent look, and lots of drives to the rim from the perimeter.

Like it or not - This. Is. ORU. Basketball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Woof. This first half is hard to watch. Max is 0-11 and they have hit multiple 3's in a row to push the lead to 15. Going to need to buckle down and find another way to score besides shooting contested 3's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, for what it's worth UCA's last three games are against Saint Louis, Butler, and Baylor, not SW Christian and Haskell. It shows...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Man, I hate to tell you, but this is simply the way this staff plays, which is tough for old traditionalists like us.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for them to feed the post, or make the extra pass, or anything else conventional. 

Get ready for 30-40 threes taken EVERY SINGLE GAME, just as soon as they have a decent look, and lots of drives to the rim from the perimeter.

Like it or not - This. Is. ORU. Basketball. 

The staff may want to adjust! We are down 17 at the half to Central Arkansas. We have 6 TO's and 3 assists, and we are 1-10 from 3 point range- that's 10%.

You have to adjust to your personnel!!  Or we will need to get used to a lot of "off nights"!

No- I don't like what we I'm seeing from ORU basketball right now!!!

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What an embarrassment....🤮😬🤮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman has a small teaser on UCA and the Over...hard to put a lot of $$$ on an 0-3 team with all blowout losses...😎

Remind me to send you a support letter for our ministry! 😆😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

McBride is coming alive, lead is 5. He has had several terrific drives to the basket. Max has been sitting nearly the whole second half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...