ORU may be perfect fit for Eddie Sutton (TW)

praetorfenix86

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer

5/24/2006

It would take the perfect situation to lure Eddie Sutton out of retirement. And 10 months from now, Oral Roberts University could be the perfect fit for Sutton.

Wait a minute. Hang with me for a few more paragraphs.

Several things obviously need to happen to make this Eddie Sutton-Oral Roberts marriage a match made in hoops heaven.

First of all, Sutton's youngest son, Scott, needs to win a whole bunch of basketball games at ORU next season. That includes a second consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament.

If that happens, and injuries are about the only reason it shouldn't, Scott Sutton is bound to get job offers. Nebraska and Colorado are two Big 12 schools that figure to have openings, and the younger Sutton would be high on Creighton's short list if Dana Altman finally makes the jump back from a mid-major to a high-major program.

It was Eddie Sutton and his second-oldest son, Sean, who started college basketball's latest craze. Ever since Oklahoma State officials named Sean the head coach designate, who would take over when his father retired, several schools followed suit.

Bob and Pat Knight did it at Texas Tech. So did Dick and Tony Bennett at Washington State, and Tom and Keno Davis at Drake.

Now Eddie and Scott Sutton could pull a reverse trend, while also making history with a father following his son.

Yes, Homer Drew replaced his son when Scott Drew left Valparaiso for Baylor. But that was the same school where Homer had coached 14 years before he retired and Scott took over for one season. Now Homer figures to stick around until another son, Bryce, is ready to replace the old man at Valpo.

But this Sutton trifecta would have to be historic. I can't recall a coach being replaced by his son at one school and then taking over for another son at a different school.

If you listened closely to Eddie Sutton's retirement speech last Friday, the aforementioned scenario isn't that far-fetched. Sutton dropped several hints that OSU might not be the last stop on his legendary career.

"I want you to know that I have both the energy and the enthusiasm for the job," Sutton said. "I feel better now than I've felt for four or five years."

Does that sound like a man who is ready to recline in his La-Z-Boy and pen his memoirs? Back surgery and treatment for alcohol abuse have left the 70-year-old Sutton looking and feeling like he's 50. OK, 60.

Sutton acknowledged that he almost returned to OSU for one more season because he wants to record the two wins he needs to become only the fifth coach to win 800 Division I games.

Eddie Sutton could win two games at ORU blindfolded. Especially with the talent Scott Sutton has stockpiled en route to becoming one of the hottest young coaches in the business.

The most telling statement in the retirement speech came when Sutton was asked if he could foresee himself coaching at another school.

"Oh, I don't know," Sutton waffled. "It would have to be a situation where you might come in for two or three years and help (prepare) somebody."

That precise situation could develop if another school hires Scott Sutton. One of his talented assistants could benefit from working with Eddie Sutton two or three seasons before taking over the Golden Eagles' program.

Patsy Sutton has made it clear that she doesn't want her husband to coach again. But she's also made it no secret she wants to live in Tulsa.

Perhaps she would have a change of mind if her husband got an opportunity to reach the 800-win total he so desperately wants while coaching in Tulsa.

Oral and Richard Roberts have made several serious attempts to hire Eddie Sutton. And ORU athletic director Mike Carter has been a close friend of the Sutton family for years.

Sutton will turn 71 next March. He's a mere pup compared to Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, who turns 80 in December and has no intention of hanging up his whistle anytime soon.

A year away from coaching would allow Eddie to recharge the batteries like he did when he took a season's hiatus between the Kentucky and OSU jobs.

A season off would also give him time to start writing that book he's mentioned often, including during last Friday's farewell speech.

"I can write a great story about Kentucky," he said. "And I can write a great story about (OSU)."

And maybe, just maybe, the last chapter will include a perfect ending -- Eddie Sutton's ORU curtain call.

Very fun article. How many more season tickets would we sell if the legendary coach chose to get his record number of wins at ORU?

I know that we've talked about this possibility a time or two on the message board, but where did Sittler come up with the idea? Purely conjecture? Or is there a little scuttlebutt floating around about an interest in this happening? I can see all parties being interested. Whether it will is another story.

Guest EagleBackr
I know that we've talked about this possibility a time or two on the message board, but where did Sittler come up with the idea? Purely conjecture? Or is there a little scuttlebutt floating around about an interest in this happening? I can see all parties being interested. Whether it will is another story.

I'll tell you where he got the idea - from ME!! I've posted several times about this in a thread on the TU message board this past week. Heck, he practically QUOTED me! HEY, DAVE - WHERE'S MY CHECK?!? :P

Yes Joe Paterno is still coaching at 80, but he also didn't mix alcohol and prescription drugs, ignore campus security, get behind the wheel, and nearly kill himself and put the lives of others at risk.

I don't see this being "a perfect fit." Because of Eddie's age, I think he might have some difficulty recruiting "stud" players because they would know that he would only be around for part of their playing careers, and there wouldn't be an "heir apparent" waiting in the wings.

I don't think this would the "dream" scenario for Tom Hankins, Conley Phipps, or Corey Williams, one of which would probably be in line for the head coach job if Scott were to get a better opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eddie and think he is a decent person and a great coach, but sometimes you have to pay for your mistakes.

I could see him coaching just one year in order to get his 800 plus-wins, and that would make a nice story for him, but there is no question that Eddie would bring a lot of baggage, especially for a school so well known for its strict honor code. There would definitely be verbal tauntings at road games (not as big a deal in the Mid-Con as it would be in the Big 12).

If it were to happen, I'm sure it would be spun that "God is the God of second chances", etc., and while it would be interesting, and would get ORU some short-lived national attention, I'm not sure it would be the best decision for ORU. But I don't think Mike Carter would see it my way...

I don't see this being "a perfect fit." Because of Eddie's age, I think he might have some difficulty recruiting "stud" players because they would know that he would only be around for part of their playing careers, and there wouldn't be an "heir apparent" waiting in the wings.

I completely disagree. I don't know of any "stud" recruit that wouldn't want to play for a legendary head coach, even if it was just for two years. And I think that Hankins and the others would enjoy working with and learning from "one of the best in the business". It's a once in a lifetime deal. They'll go on to bigger and better things in time.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eddie and think he is a decent person and a great coach, but sometimes you have to pay for your mistakes.

So you're the judge, and you say that never coaching again is the only punishment for his crime? I couldn't be so brash in my statements. I've made the same mistakes too many times.

If it were to happen, I'm sure it would be spun that "God is the God of second chances", etc., and while it would be interesting, and would get ORU some short-lived national attention, I'm not sure it would be the best decision for ORU. But I don't think Mike Carter would see it my way...

If it were to happen, why would there have to be any "spin"? Just state the facts, and the facts are:

*Eddie Sutton is a great coach.

*Eddie Sutton has made some serious mistakes

*We (athletics and president) feel that Eddie Sutton has paid not only his debt to society for what he has done as mandated by the state, but that he has also sought healing and atonement in his personal life and is ready to step back into the game that he loves so very much.

There doesn't have to be even a mention of God in the press release (although I'm sure Pres. Roberts will since he wrote that book a while back about God giving him a second chance in life after he left his faith in college).

Sure would be nice if "...seeks to exemplify Christ" was one of the requirements for coaching positions at ORU...

Everything we state on here is pure conjecture unless otherwise noted. That could be one of the requirements, texasgrip. If so, I'm sure it's something they take seriously.

• 1 month later...

Since the article mentioning the Eddie Sutton scenario was written, I have discussed this possibility with several ORU fans, OSU fans, etc., and I have found that my opinion seems to be in the minority. 

It seems to be that many fans would be very willing to forgive Eddie since he has made some good decisions over the last few months (stepping down from OSU, rehab, openly admitting his mistakes, etc.).

Since there are pretty high expectations for ORU men's basketball during the upcoming 2006-07 season, especially with the Mid-Con tourney in Tulsa again, I would think that the most likely scenario would have ORU returning to the NCAAs as the Mid-Con representative.

It would then be likely that Scott would get a legit offer at a decent school (after making the NCAAs 2 years in a row), and so the Eddie scenario is fairly possible.

Most of the fans I have spoken with think ORU should jump at the chance to have a coach of Eddie's caliber end his career at ORU, if this scenario ever unfolded.

So, while I'm still in the minority, if it did happen, I would wholeheartedly support Eddie.  And most other fans who had some reservations (like me), would still support him as well.  And that makes me think that if Scott moves on next year, Eddie will probably be our next coach. 

It would have to be an almost perfect situation with so many variables coming together at one point for Eddie to coach here. Scott would need to duplicate or make better our performance from last year, and then get a job offer that he actually wanted to take. The cupboard will not be exactly stocked when Caleb and Ken leave next year. I don't see Eddie stepping into a situation this late in his career that will require years of rebuilding work to win. The current staff are gonna need to work some of their magic on the recruitment trail this summer so ORU Basketball can be be braced for "The Life After Ken and Caleb" era. I think the most important thing that will have to happen is that Eddie is going to have to "want" to coach again. He may be insinuating that right now, but a year in retirement can change a person. He may not feel up to the challenge when May 2007 rolls around.

It would have to be an almost perfect situation with so many variables coming together at one point for Eddie to coach here. Scott would need to duplicate or make better our performance from last year, and then get a job offer that he actually wanted to take. The cupboard will not be exactly stocked when Caleb and Ken leave next year. I don't see Eddie stepping into a situation this late in his career that will require years of rebuilding work to win. The current staff are gonna need to work some of their magic on the recruitment trail this summer so ORU Basketball can be be braced for "The Life After Ken and Caleb" era. I think the most important thing that will have to happen is that Eddie is going to have to "want" to coach again. He may be insinuating that right now, but a year in retirement can change a person. He may not feel up to the challenge when May 2007 rolls around.

Don't forget that Eddie is a bit of a super recruiter on his own, but I think that your right about Eddie having to "want to be coach again".  Although it does seem that it takes a lot to take the "want" out of a coach to coach again.  I just hope that when Scott eventually moves on he doesn't leave the cupboard bare of our assisstant coaches.  I also saw Shawn King up at the Mabee Center and wow he is really tall.  A bit of a wirey guy, but I look forward to seeing him play real tall and lanky.

If Scott leaves next year, the cupboard will not be bare.... just diminshed. You can't lose two players like Tutt and Green and not be affected. But, ORU will have players like Vealy, Ogunoye, Ehambe, Liberty, etc. to fall back on. And who knows how good some of the new players (King, Robinson, Sango, Gaines) will be - in addition to future recruits (Hazell again?).

If Eddie did take the job, it would be as a caretaker - for just a year or two. He would work in tandem with his successor (Tom Hankins or Corey Williams) and the duties would not be onerous. As someone said, not likely because a lot of events would have to happen -

Since this will be the last year for Ken and Caleb, it seems to me that would increase the chances that Scott would jump at a decent offer.

Once again relying on John Klein, but in the past Klein has made it clear that Coach Eddie Sutton still wants to coach.  Especially since he has 796 wins, and would love to get over 800.

Also, since he has had back surgery, I have heard that he isn't really in that much pain anymore, so his health concerns wouldn't be an issue.

If Scott did jump, even though the salary wouldn't be any where near his OSU salary, I think the opportunity to stay around the Tulsa area and only need to coach 1 year to get over 800 wins would be too much to pass up.  

It would also help Eddie to leave his profession on a positive note and on his own terms.

Wonder if Eddie will be seen at any practices this fall?