CUSA

crow4435

how about an associate membership in Conference USA? basketball and baseball? i think it could work. will probably never happen but you never know.

how about an associate membership in Conference USA? basketball and baseball? i think it could work. will probably never happen but you never know.

Not going to happen -- there are lots of reasons, but they include the liklihood that TU would never allow it and the fact that C-USA didn't keep a couple of basketball only members, like Charlotte and SLU and didn't accept a couple of football only members like Army.

Your best bet is the Southland, the Valley, or sticking it out with the MidCon.

Are you saying this on a wishful tip? Because it's definitely not a realistic expectation.

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to happen -- there are lots of reasons, but they include the liklihood that TU would never allow it and the fact that C-USA didn't keep a couple of basketball only members, like Charlotte and SLU and didn't accept a couple of football only members like Army.

Your best bet is the Southland, the Valley, or sticking it out with the MidCon.

IIRC Army left on its own cause it could not compete in C-USA. C-USA is built around football, but it does have one sport members in mens soccer.

Basketball won't happen, but a partial sports membership with baseball being the centerpiece could be possible. Not all members play baseball so there is room to expand to make the conference better. However, I agree that TU would never allow it.

I guess I don't understand why TU would not allow it?

How would it hurt TU?

If anything it would actually help TU in terms of attendance and travel.

But you gotta admit. My new sig is awesome!

How would it hurt TU?

If you owned the only restaurant in town, would you support the opening of another restaurant next door? We're the only C-USA ball game in town.

Tulsa is a small market with limited dollars for sponsorships and ticket sales. Any advantage we have by being in a better conference would be gone.

On the field, we have a recruiting advantage by being a member of C-USA and this too would either be gone or leveled off.

I've gotten the same response from a Detroit Titans fan on why Detroit vetoed adding Oakland to the Horizon League. He also didn't think much of OU's graduation rate, but mainly there's no principled reason for the veto, just pure competitive advantage. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there :wink:

How would it hurt TU?

What the?? :?:

I won't go through all the reasons here, but let's just say there are a ton of them. And, ORU doesn't have FOOTBALL.