ORU MBB Practice

ORUTerry

I attended an ORU basketball practice Friday afternoon in the practice gym for about an hour and thought I would share my random observations:

First, I was only there for an hour and it was a fast paced practice with lots going on. I didn’t/couldn’t observe everything. It is early September and things will certainly change over the next two months. Everyone was at practice and contributing (no injuries), except for Lufile - who was dressed out and on the sidelines. Coach Mills was very active and was definitely in charge of practice. He led drills and was verbal. The focus seemed to be on spacing and movement.

We are athletic and deep. Lots of talent on this team. The practice was fast paced and organized. The team seemed well ahead of pace considering it is early September. The starters/regulars looked sharp and played hard. Abmas hardly misses a shot, Jurgens is tough. Lacis is steady. I think Thompson & Weaver will be key. 

Team chemistry looked good. The guys were communicating with/encouraging each other and seemed to get along. Phipps can definitely shoot and looked good. McBride is also a good shooter; a bit taller than I thought. The two of them in the game with Abmas would be fun to see. Lawrence was a bit smaller than I thought. Bergens appeared to be a better than I saw last year 

Plet has improved.  Very athletic and made some mid range jumpers. Clover looked about the same. Good defender but not a lot on offense. Herron looked really good. Great leaper/dunker and decent jump shot. Needs to add 10-15 points, but he will definitely contribute. We will need all of them down low - as long with Lufile. Luka is a tall, thin player who will be a project. Needs to add +20 lbs. 

Some other people were there with me and can add their thoughts/impressions if they want to. 

• Thanks 1

Good call ORU Terry! Thanks for the insights.  It sounds spot on.  Do you know anything about Lufile?  He has not been on the court since Feb. 2020 and did not even play in the Blue/Gold game last year.  That is still somewhat concerning.  A lot of shooters again on the Golden Eagles team.  

Thx, Terry - agree with all you posted and would elaborate on the many “looked good” comments you made:  the simple fact is that so many truly DO “look good”.  The conditioning in this program is off the charts. I remember commenting last season, even when the team was struggling to find its identity in mid-season, that the team’s conditioning was definitely a strong suit. This year even more so. Heck, even the coaches and most of the managers are flat-bellies now, hustling all over the court like crazy. Props to the strength & conditioning staff for all their obvious hard work. 

Unfortunately, the exception to this observation is Lufile, who (to put it diplomatically) “appears to still have some conditioning goals to reach”.  But, like Terry said, it’s just the first week of September; he still has time to get in game shape by November or December. 

Laughably, the other guy who didn’t just jump out of the pack visually was Abmas!  Truth be told, Max is just not that physically imposing or flashy in a practice situation. All he does is take care of the ball, take EVERYTHING the defense gives him, and NEVER MISSES on threes or layups.  Like watching a little robot - a REALLY GOOD little robot. 

Lacis, Thompson, Jurgens, and Weaver looked just like they did in the postseason, which is great. But can Weaver step it up a notch, or not?  Of those four, he has the highest ceiling. 

The other three who stood out to me were McBride (really quick, with kind of a jerky 3-point shot, but he makes it - reminds me of some the little sharp-shooters that have given ORU fits over the years from Omaha or Oakland). Herron is a little bit slender but has enough of a skill set that he could realistically be starting in the post in Fort Collins for the season opener. But, the guy who really surprised me was Phipps:  a little taller and more physical than I expected, he made as many (more?) threes as anyone in the full-court, quasi-game conditions drills. Intriguing prospect who will definitely see court time.

Way-too-early “If the season started today” projections:

STARTERS:  Abmas, Jurgens, Thompson, Lacis, Herron

OFF THE BENCH:  McBride, Weaver, Phipps, Clover

STILL WORK TO DO:  everyone else

BIGGEST SURPRISE:  Phipps

BIGGEST QUESTION MARK:  Lufile 

• Upvote 2

I really appreciate the commentary on the players! Sounds like we are in for an exciting season! Love to hear that the team chemistry is good. Only 2 months to go!

The practice was held in the practice gym. The court had lots of tape/marks on it. One of the drills was a sort of motion/drive/pass drill with a definite emphasis on spacing. Mills stopped the drill to point out the X’s around the perimeter and his desire for them to maintain spacing based on adherence to landing on those marks. 

They also ran a 4-on-4 drill with an emphasis on maintaining proper spacing. I noticed that the teams got assessed a negative 1 point for making a ‘long’ two point shot. We are going to take a lot of three point shots (again) this year. Having Abmas, Weaver, Thompson, Phipps and McBride will help. 

Add Jurgens to that list of “green light” three shooters. 

But not Lacis. Love the guy, but simply not a consistent option from behind the arc, and Friday was no exception. Take it to the hole, young man!

During ORU’s run in the Summit League and NCAA tournament, I remember hearing/reading comments from other coaches talking about ORU’s spacing and how they are difficult to defend as a result.  Clearly that is NOT a fluke or an accident, but a significant point of emphasis for this coaching staff.

• Like 1

I really liked and appreciated all that Scott Sutton did for the ORU basketball program, but one thing I would scream at the television when I watched them play under his coaching was their spacing on the court. It was not good most of the time. One of the first things I noticed about Coach Mills' teams was their improved spacing and ability to move the basketball. All the best to Coach Sutton and Coach Mills. ORU was and is blessed to have them both.

How many D-1 Basketball programs have had only 2 coaches in the past 25 years?....not many TheEagleman would guess and probably no more than 12-15....stability is usually a good thing in a program and I for one am glad we hung with Coach Mills during the rocky start....clearly it wasn't him it was the lack of talent......:tb-white:

36 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

How many D-1 Basketball programs have had only 2 coaches in the past 25 years?....not many TheEagleman would guess and probably no more than 12-15....stability is usually a good thing in a program and I for one am glad we hung with Coach Mills during the rocky start....clearly it wasn't him it was the lack of talent......:tb-white:

Local cases in point:  head coaches for the three state schools since Scott Sutton started at ORU in 1999:

TULSA -- Bill Self, Buzz Peterson, John Phillips, Pooh Williamson (interim), Doug Wojcik, Danny Manning, Frank Haith

OKLAHOMA STATE - Eddie Sutton, Sean Sutton, Travis Ford, Brad Underwood, Mike Boynton

OKLAHOMA -- Kelvin Sampson, Jeff Capel, Lon Kruger, Porter Moser

The other end of the spectrum in the low-to-mid-major ranks:  Greg Kampe at Oakland, entering his 38th season with the Golden Grizzlies, and surpassed only by Jim Boeheim and Mike Krzyzewski at the D1 level.  😲

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the report, Terry and OT.  This is very exciting-Im so fired up!  Even as a huge Alabama football fan, I can't wait to get basketball season started!  Roll, Golden Titans, Roll!  I think it's possible for this team to be better than last year.  Sure, it would be nice to have him back but, who else is willing to admit Obanor always seemed awkward and unathletic?  (Did I just say that?)  I used to cringe as he ran awkwardly back down the floor to set up on defense (Crap, did I just say THAT?)  It feels like, If someone can step up and even come close to filling the void he left, we have a chance to be even better than last year.  Who's gonna guard Max, Isaac and Phipps at the same time?  I'm remembering how good DJ can be when he's playing well--Mix in tough defense, energy and effort from Carlos, Kareem and Francis and we might be better than last year!  Even the hint of Heron having potential to start makes me giddy.  Let's not forget this team has tasted some success and knows they were a bucket away from the Elite 8.  We could be in for a very exciting season!  Anyone know when we plan to unveil that Sweet 16 banner?  I hope to be there when we do.  Anyone who's offended by my Obanor remarks, please, please relax.  I'm only kidding and trying to convince myself that we'll be fine without him.  I know it's tough to not be offended these days.  I wish KO nothing but the best.  Guns up, blah, blah blah....

Rob

• Like 1

I too think this will be a special season. Max has put on 10 pounds and is noticeably bigger and stronger. Sir Isaac is a beast and that will be evident to all soon! With or without KO we will have a really good season.  The bigger question is will KO have a good season at Tech? In my opinion he took the bigger risk by leaving ORU. We are loaded this year and the work ethic of the players is incredible! As to your comment ORU Rob about people getting offended is this: these people deep down don't want others to have an opinion,  they want their opinion to be right. I personally love it that we can all spout our opinions and have lively debate on the message board! Keep the opinions and lively comments coming!

• Like 1

KO was offensively awkward at times, but you knew he was going to battle on the boards and hit some unexpected three pointers. 

Everybody has a different opinion and that is good.  We all bring some good ideas/thoughts to the table.  Just my two cents but K.O. is one of my favorite ORU players (but only been following the team for 15 years).  I thought his freshman year was as good as anyone since Tutt/Green rookie years.  He was so fearless and everything just clicked: he scored in the paint, hit threes and even drove to the basket effectively.  He seemed lost at times in his second year with EMan in the paint.  Then he had a solid year last year and was a good witness for the faith/God during the NCAA tournament last year.  Was he perfect, of course not, but he had his shinning moments!

10 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just my two cents but K.O. is one of my favorite ORU players (but only been following the team for 15 years).  I thought his freshman year was as good as anyone since Tutt/Green rookie years.  He was so fearless and everything just clicked: he scored in the paint, hit threes and even drove to the basket effectively.  He seemed lost at times in his second year with EMan in the paint.  Then he had a solid year last year and was a good witness for the faith/God during the NCAA tournament last year.  Was he perfect, of course not, but he had his shinning moments!

KO did not have a high basketball IQ - especially when he arrived at ORU - thus the reason for him looking lost and sitting the bench early in his career during clutch times.  I hope for his sake that this has changed because he is learning a new system and, if he doesn't adjust quickly, he will not increase his pro stock for next year.  He would have benefitted by staying in the same system for another year and being a "big fish" with familiar surroundings.  He was listening to the wrong advisers (I believe) and felt he needed to be on a P5 stage to progress.  I hope KO is right and will continue to thrive at TTU.

I've been told by those in and around the team that the one word which typifies Kevin's personality is "stubborn".

That can be a real asset when a guy is on the right path and meeting obstacles head-on, but a real hindrance when trying to coach him up when he veers off that road.

All that being said, he was a rock last season, and will obviously be missed on the floor this year.

Hope KO enjoys his 10-12 minutes of playing time at Texas Tech......:k_obanor: