someone else is leaving

blueangel

If true, that's big news. I heard just this week (and it has been stated previously on this board) that IF such a thing were to happen, the Mid-Con has two years to add a team in order to maintain the minimum number of 8 teams required for an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

The point was also made that when considering other teams for the league an effort would be made to improve the terrible travel situation that currently exists in the Mid-Con.

I heard we're looking into Duke joining the Mid-Con

My guess is Southern Utah jumping to the Big Sky Conference. The Big Sky is having their annual meetings this week - I think. This conference would make a lot of sense from a geographic (and travel) standpoint.

My second guess is Centenary.... except I don't see them jumping to another conference. They are a candidate to move down to D-II status given their low enrollment, poor funding of athletics and relative non-emphasis on their athletic department.

if a team leaves - that puts mid-con at 7. that number meets AQ criteria for men's basketball. however, it is a precarious number. would guess this would stimulate some pretty good discussion on potential new members. if the geography was better - the dakota schools would be great additions - they will be very strong in a short period of time.

All I know is that a news conference has been called for The ARC at VU at 2:00 pm this afternoon. The release said it was a MAJOR announcement concerning the VU athletic department. I would be shocked if we're the one leaving, but you never know about these things.

Guest EagleBackr
Sounds like only one more posters' lunch :( . . .

...I see no reason why the two couldn't continue to play non-conference games against each other - the relationship and the rivalry is there already...

hope we do keep a non-conference game with you on the schedule...

and yeah, I'm worried for you guys....time to jump ship. I wonder if NDSU/SDSU/IPFW would even want to join now, after being dismissed by the Mid-Con earlier. Kind of a stab to ask them now.