Where does Caleb Green rank on all-time list for ORU

Guest darrenjj

Guest darrenjj

Was just wondering where you thought Caleb ranked with Anthony Roberts and Richie Fuqua and the like. He will in all likelyhood be a 3 time conference player of the year at the end of his career. Not bad for a guy that most did not think good enough to play at other colleges in state!!

Guest EagleBackr

Hard to compare apples to oranges. But here's my "All-Time" teams, first, second and third team:

ALL-TIME FIRST TEAM

POINT - Haywoode Workman

SHOOTING GUARD - Richard Fuqua

SMALL FORWARD - Anthony Roberts

POWER FORWARD - Caleb Green

CENTER - Mark Acres

ALL-TIME SECOND TEAM

POINT - Arnold Dugger

SHOOTING GUARD - Tim Gill

SMALL FORWARD - Calvin Garrett

POWER FORWARD - Rocky Walls

CENTER - David Vaughn

ALL-TIME THIRD TEAM

POINT - Cat Johnson

SHOOTING GUARD - Greg Sutton

SMALL FORWARD - Haywood Hill

POWER FORWARD - Antonio Martin

CENTER - Eddie Woods

Geez, harder than it looks! No Ken Tutt? No Steve Bontrager? No Sam McCants? No Al Boswell? What about Reggie Borges, Ray Thompson, Eric Perry, Larry Owens, or Jeff Acres? Well - what do YOU think?

Guest EagleBackr
My man Earl is nowhere to be found either

I know!! But look at those three point guards!! Who ya gonna sit? Also conspicuously absent: Luke Spencer-Gardner and Jonathan Bluitt.

You have a longer "horizon" with ORU basketball than many of us, EB, so I can hardly challenge your expertise. All three teams look like winners, but I agree with your question about those left off. I guess that's always a problem when coming up with "best of" lists.

I just appreciate the Calvin Garrett reference!

Guest EagleBackr

...perhaps this would help in the overall "who's best" comparison: I think you could shuffle the top three at all five positions and not lose much EXCEPT Anthony Roberts at the "3" and Caleb at the "4". That pair stands clearly above the rest at those two respective positions...

Guest darrenjj

Fuqua was pretty darn good before his knees went bad, probably an NBA type of guy. I only saw Roberts in his mid 30's and he was pretty heavy but still a lot of talent. Those must have been some great teams.

Guest EagleBackr
Fuqua was pretty darn good before his knees went bad, probably an NBA type of guy. I only saw Roberts in his mid 30's and he was pretty heavy but still a lot of talent. Those must have been some great teams.

...with no disrespect intended toward Fuqua, I must say he was something of a product of Ken Trickey's "shoot 100 times a game" philosophy. It was not unusual for him to take 25 shots a game, and often he took 30-35. And he really wasn't expected to play defense - none of them did in those teams! But Anthony was special. The most recent local player that reminds me of him was Shea Seals at TU, but Anthony had a quicker first step and was a better outside shooter. He also was not afraid to drive baseline and go hard to the basket. If he hadn't gotten so caught up by the "recreational" temptations available to NBA players of that era with too much time and too much money, he might have been an all-star.

Holy Cow!! Speaking of that era - how could I forget former Phoenix Sun mainstay and Anthony Roberts running buddy Alvin Scott? He goes into my 2nd team Power Forward slot, bumping Rocky Walls down to 3rd team and putting Antonio Martin on the "Honorable Mention" list. Used to love seeing Alvin block shots five or six rows into the Gold Section. Picture Larry Owens, with a better jump shot. Too many good players, not enough teams!!

Gary "Cat" Johnson trumps Dugger to me...

Everything else looks good...

The player that is ORU's all-time top scorer, but is rarely mentioned when discussing best all-time players, is Greg Sutton. Granted, he was a product of the cursed NAIA years, but you can hardly dismiss his production.

I wasn't really paying attention to ORU basketball in those years - could someone that was comment on how you think Greg shaped up and fit in with some of these others?

The player that is ORU's all-time top scorer, but is rarely mentioned when discussing best all-time players, is Greg Sutton.

Greg was fun to watch, but I could have been ORU's all-time top scorer if I attempted 15 3-pointers/game, too. :lol:

Guest EagleBackr

Greg was fun to watch, but I could have been ORU's all-time top scorer if I attempted 15 3-pointers/game, too. :lol:

His shooting percentages were not very good, and he was a ballhog extraordinaire, but he WAS a talent. And let's just say he loses style points for some VERY questionable personal habits during his time in school. Good thing we were below the radar in the NAIA and it was before the Internet/message board era - he and his bunch would have gotten the program in trouble for sure...

Does Caleb Green rate having his jersey retired along with Richard Fuqua and Anthony Roberts? What about Mark Acres?

Guest darrenjj

I think Caleb certainly deserves it. If they make the tourney next year and he wins the CPY again, there is no doubt. I think he will make a lot of $$ overseas for the next 10 years. I think you are looking at 20 to 25 wins next year and maybe a couple of big upsets on the money games that they schedule.

Been watching ORU hoops since 1974, and have seen all these guys in person except Fuqua, who finished the year before I came to ORU. One problem with the setup of the teams is that it's hard to classify Anthony Roberts and Alvin Scott as "power" or "small" forwards. They were almost always in the game at the same time, and both were definitely forwards. T-Bone played "bigger" than Anthony, was a key defender and rebounder, and a seldom scorer. Roberts wasn't a post-up player like Caleb, and really played more like a small forward. But as far as I know, he had the longest NBA career of any ORU player - about a dozen solid seasons with Phoenix. Is a player's NBA career a criteria for greatness? Anthony Roberts had a mediocre NBA career (largely due to personal issues - I think if he had his life together then, he might have had a better NBA career). But it's clear he's one of the best two or three ever to play at ORU.

I definitely think, based on his college impact alone, Caleb is an ORU all-time "first-teamer." But I think the chances of his playing in the NBA are slim. That doesn't negate his impact at the collegiate level, which is clearly a different game, maybe moreso than was true 30 years ago when Roberts and Scott played.

Guest EagleBackr
Been watching ORU hoops since 1974, and have seen all these guys in person except Fuqua, who finished the year before I came to ORU. One problem with the setup of the teams is that it's hard to classify Anthony Roberts and Alvin Scott as "power" or "small" forwards. They were almost always in the game at the same time, and both were definitely forwards. T-Bone played "bigger" than Anthony, was a key defender and rebounder, and a seldom scorer. Roberts wasn't a post-up player like Caleb, and really played more like a small forward. But as far as I know, he had the longest NBA career of any ORU player - about a dozen solid seasons with Phoenix. Is a player's NBA career a criteria for greatness? Anthony Roberts had a mediocre NBA career (largely due to personal issues - I think if he had his life together then, he might have had a better NBA career). But it's clear he's one of the best two or three ever to play at ORU.

I definitely think, based on his college impact alone, Caleb is an ORU all-time "first-teamer." But I think the chances of his playing in the NBA are slim. That doesn't negate his impact at the collegiate level, which is clearly a different game, maybe moreso than was true 30 years ago when Roberts and Scott played.

As you say, they were both on the floor at the same time, with Anthony on the wing or baseline at the "3" (small forward) spot and Alvin at the "4" ("power forward" post position on the opposite block or baseline). By definition, I would classify Anthony as a "3" (small forward) rather than a "2" (shooting guard), because he did play most of the time below the free throw line and he did crash the boards for offensive rebounds, and I would categorize Alvin as a "4" (power forward) because he rarely played face-up on the wing - usually had his back to the basket in the post, or crashed from the offside baseline. The main presence in the post on those teams were centers Harold Johnson (remember his sky hook?) and bruiser Willis Collins. Alvin's offensive game down low and at the high post was very different from Caleb's in that he was more of a "pivot-and-fadeaway" shooter, where Caleb is all about spinning quick and getting to the rim as hard as possible. Two different styles, but both very good players...