Valpo recruit Samuel Haanpaa

mickeyb

Found some interesting info on new Valpo recruit Samuel Haanpaa. Seems like his HS team (Cornerstone Christian in San Antonio) had to forfeit all their games because of 11 ineligible players, which I would assume Haanpaa is one of them.

Note: I'm not taking a swing at this kid, I'm sure he had no idea anything "wrong" was happening when being recruited to attend and play for Cornerstone.

Here's a story from the San Antonio Express-News:

Cornerstone has forfeits, probation

San Antonio Express-News

Eleven Cornerstone boys basketball players, including nine on the varsity, were declared ineligible by the TAPPS Executive Board, and any games in which the players participated this season have been forfeited

The board ruled Wednesday the players were given improper room-and-board inducements.

TAPPS athletic director Edd Burleson said the inducements involved "the unusually low amount charged for room and board and the fact only athletes, both eligible and ineligible, are being housed on campus in the boarding facility and were receiving this benefit."

The Warriors were 25-5 and 4-0 in TAPPS 4-4A when the penalty took effect. They lost to St.Gerard on Saturday. Cornerstone is still able to qualify for the playoffs if it plays with the remaining eligible players.

Cornerstone also was placed on three years' probation and was given a public reprimand.

Cornerstone head administrator Alan Hulme declined comment.

In November, Cornerstone was banned from competing in the playoffs beginning Dec. 1, for "failure to comply with the (TAPPS) board's request to attend" a board meeting regarding the school's athletic program. That ban has been lifted.

"When Cornerstone officials met with the board (Wednesday)," Burleson said, "it satisfied the request to attend and the sanctions regarding playoffs were removed."

Walter Webb is in his first season as the boys basketball coach at Cornerstone. Webb was a successful private school coach on the East Coast and came to Cornerstone from Coastal Christian in Virginia.

Here's more info from the TAPPS website:

At the TAPPS Executive Board Meeting on January 18, 2006, the Board took the following actions.

1. The Board voted unanimously to declare the eleven boarding school students ineligible to compete for Cornerstone Christian School, due to inducement involving room and board. Any games in which any of these students have participated are to be forfeited.

2. The Board voted unanimously to place the Cornerstone Boys Basketball program on probation for three years, beginning on January 19, 2006, and that Cornerstone Christian School be given a public reprimand.

3. When Cornerstone officials met with the Board on January 18, 2005, it satisfied the reasons for the sanctions placed on all programs regarding the play-offs. The sanctions regarding the play-offs were removed for the Boys Basketball Program as well as all other activities.

4. The sanctions that were imposed as a result of the information provided in the hearing, were directed to the violations regarding room and board for those boarding students only.

5. While all games involving the boarding students must be forfeited, Cornerstone can still compete in district play, and be eligible for the play-offs if they qualify, with the remaining eligible players.

Apparently this isn't the first time the Cornerstone coach has put a high school team into some hot water:

(From story in Hampton Roads Newspaper)

Walt Webb built a successful-but-shadowy prep school program at Coastal Christian, but now that he has left for Cornerstone Christian in San Antonio his old school no longer plays varsity basketball. Meanwhile, the Cornerstone team, which had a losing record last season, now features two 7-footers and several other big-time talents. Hmmm ...

Link: http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/st ... &ran=11428

I've seen this happen so many times, it doesn't surprise me anymore. Coaches come in and want their small christian school to be the next big prep school like (Oak Hill, Mt. Zion, or Dematha). There are tons of financial benefits and name recognition for the school, but the problem is that most of these schools compete in associations where it is against the rules to "recruit" players to play for their schools. If I remember correctly, some high schools in the Tulsa area got in trouble this year in football for the same thing.

Found some interesting info on new Valpo recruit Samuel Haanpaa. Seems like his HS team (Cornerstone Christian in San Antonio) had to forfeit all their games because of 11 ineligible players, which I would assume Haanpaa is one of them.

Mickeyb, the opening to this message is quite misleading. From the title and the first sentence, I would have expected at least one direct reference to Haanpaa, but there is none to be found. I have yet to find out whether Haanpaa is one of the 11 ineligible players or one of the eligible ones who may have participated in the playoffs. Until then, this story offers little insight into our recruit.

Ha! That new icon is a keeper.