Mabee Center Updates

ttowncount

Can't wait for the season to begin. Fans are going to be blown away with the transformation of the Mabee center!  For any of you grads that haven't  been on campus in a while I have never seen the campus look better! Very proud to be an Alum!

• Upvote 1

Looks incredible....let's hope ORU round ball teams are as good as Mabee Center!....👍:circle-logoi:👍

Gold seats were good for its time but it is a nice change.  Seems more modern, even though the Mabee Center is from the 70s.  A mixture of old and new.

They better hurry....needs to be ready in about 3 weeks.....can't wait to see the finished product!....:shield-logo:

Needs to be ready in one week.  Next Friday night the Bill Gaither Homecoming concert comes to town.

Bill Gaither is still Alive??? Geez. I think he performed at Mabee Center back in the 70s when TheEagleman was a student....😬

6 Grammys and 35 Dove Awards later, Bill Gaither is still going strong at 85 years old.

It's pretty incredible how much they've gotten done in a short amount of time. Can't wait to see it at the Courtside Countdown.

TheEagleman just has to ask....who is paying good $$$ to hear/watch an 85 year old Bill Gaither perform?......i guess maybe the same people who pay to see/hear a 78 year old Mick Jagger....then again....probably not.....😉😬🙄

Thinking out loud.....we should have a 24/7 camera in Mabee Center so ORU fans can follow the progress of the arena transformation from gold to blue......might be fun to watch....at least for someone like TheEagleman who is short on things to do.....😉

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman just has to ask....who is paying good $$$ to hear/watch an 85 year old Bill Gaither perform?......i guess maybe the same people who pay to see/hear a 78 year old Mick Jagger....then again....probably not.....😉😬🙄

85-years-old is nothing:  Tony Bennett was 95 and suffering from dementia when this feature was produced and broadcast a couple of weeks ago. 

This is an incredible piece - guaranteed to make your hay fever flare up... 😭

Back to the topic at hand, as of Sunday 10/10:

• Seats are going in slowly but surely; there were a half-dozen guys busily working Sunday afternoon, putting armrests on seats that had already been installed.
  • Supply has been a huge issue; there are several components to each seat, and they haven't all arrived yet. 
  • Only a handful of sections have all the seats installed, and I did not see any that had the arm rests installed.
  • Many of the sections in the lower bowl have about 2/3 of the seats installed, with diagonal blank sections running top to bottom in each section, presumably so workers can quickly move up and down the rows without climbing over seats or walking around the end of the row.  Guessing those gaps will be filled with seats last.
  • None of the upper bowl (formally known as the Blue Section) have seats installed yet; there aren't even brackets installed yet in the top rows all around.
  • The previous big bank of lights on either side of the arena have been enhanced with LED lights that are SUPER bright - almost painfully bright.  Here's hoping they don't prove a problem for our shooters, and that the scoreboard will block them somewhat from fans sitting in the lower rows on either side who make the mistake of trying to spot a friend in one of the suites across the way. 😎
  • Speaking of the suites, the new suites in Section B and C and the old suites across the way are identically styled as before, but are ALL in preliminary stages of finish/refinish.
  • I'm told the (new?) scoreboard will dovetail at the corners in a true cube, unlike the shabby-looking previous configuration with the oddly-inset endzone screens.
  • The seats are very comfortable to sit in, and surprisingly wide.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think they may need more than 6 guys working in order to finish the seating by Friday night.  Might need a much larger crew working around the clock to get it done.  

TheEagleman thinks a few people on this board are suffering from dementia including those who pay good money to see geriatric singers "perform"....but it's just my personal opinion....spend your hard earned cash as you like.....😄

16 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman thinks a few people on this board are suffering from dementia including those who pay good money to see geriatric singers "perform"....but it's just my personal opinion....spend your hard earned cash as you like.....😄

You mean Phil Collins fronting Genesis on their current tour, seated in a chair in an Adidas track suit from 1979, is not your idea of rock-n-roll?

Neil Young said it best:  “Better to burn out than to fade away.”  More power to the old warhorses.

6B29CB41-500D-4AA5-88A6-B82A223FEAE3.jpeg