Brooks Thompson hired @ UT-San Antonio

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

...of the Southland Conference. In the "it's a small world" department: UTSA's chancellor was rumored to be reason ORU was blocked from joining the Southland a few years back, based on his personal opposition of the Roberts ministry. Wonder if his prejudice would preclude a little home-and-home basketball scheduling between us and our ol' buddy Brooks, who coached Larry Owens at Yavapai JC in Arizona? Wouldn't it be nice to stroll the RiverWalk in late November/early December? Here's the story...

Former NBA veteran Thompson hired at Texas-San Antonio

April 18, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SAN ANTONIO -- Arizona State assistant Brooks Thompson was hired as head coach at Texas-San Antonio, school officials said Tuesday.

Thompson will replace Tim Carter, who was reassigned March 21.

Thompson coached at Arizona State from 2004-06 and previously was head coach at Yavapai College, where he compiled a 55-14 record in two seasons and a .797 winning percentage, the highest in school history.

Thompson played at Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. He was selected by the Orlando Magic in the first round of the 1994 NBA Draft and later played for the Utah Jazz, the Denver Nuggets, the Phoenix Suns and the New York Knicks.

Guest darrenjj

It would probably be the only team in Texas that will schedule ORU next year. Maybe the new coach at SMU might if we are lucky!

Guest EagleBackr
It would probably be the only team in Texas that will schedule ORU next year. Maybe the new coach at SMU might if we are lucky!

...and why is that? Why can't we get ANY of the following to play us:

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Texas-Arlington

Texas-El Paso (you know - UTEP...)

Texas-San Antonio

Texas-Pan American

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

Texas State (formally Southwest Texas)

Houston

Baylor

Rice

Southern Methodist

Texas Christian

Lamar

Sam Houston State

Stephen F. Austin (Do we really WANT to play them? They kicked our butt last time...)

They all have to play SOMEONE in November and December - why not us??

Guest darrenjj

There is no advantage for Texas, A&M, and those types to play ORU. Bad Loss in the eyes of their fans and just ok win if they win. There is no way TCU or SMU will play. ORU does a good job of recruiting down here. I know they really are trying to get a game down here but so far no luck! It would be nice if you could get a team like Creighton or Wichita St. to do a home and home and yes they will probably schedule a Big Ten team on the road again!! Need the $$ and it really helps the budget. The CLOSER only stays at the best hotels when he is out getting those great new players!!

Guest Rob Marshall
There is no advantage for Texas, A&M, and those types to play ORU. Bad Loss in the eyes of their fans and just ok win if they win. There is no way TCU or SMU will play. ORU does a good job of recruiting down here. I know they really are trying to get a game down here but so far no luck! It would be nice if you could get a team like Creighton or Wichita St. to do a home and home and yes they will probably schedule a Big Ten team on the road again!! Need the $$ and it really helps the budget. The CLOSER only stays at the best hotels when he is out getting those great new players!!

We could play AT Texas, aTm, Tt, and possibly even Baylor, but we're not going to get any of those guys to play us at the Mabee Center ... just like Minnesota and Indiana will play us THERE but not HERE.

Pretty sad that none of those Texas schools will even give us a road game.

Guest darrenjj

ORU is willing to just go there and the bigger schools will not schedule them in Texas. They are really trying for next year.

Guest EagleBackr

...my feelings on playing these "money games" at Big 10 schools in late December are well documented: travel is too expensive and weather too unpredictable for the average ORU fan to travel up there that time of year. Now a roadie in Austin, or San Antonio, or Houston - that's a different story. Might see a respectable number of Golden Eagle fans in the stands if that "money game" was played in warmer climes just a Southwest Airlines jaunt away from Tulsa...

Guest Rob Marshall
...my feelings on playing these "money games" at Big 10 schools in late December are well documented: travel is too expensive and weather too unpredictable for the average ORU fan to travel up there that time of year. Now a roadie in Austin, or San Antonio, or Houston - that's a different story. Might see a respectable number of Golden Eagle fans in the stands if that "money game" was played in warmer climes just a Southwest Airlines jaunt away from Tulsa...

EB, you're absolutely right on. I would definitely make a road trip to Austin, College Station, or Lubbock around the December holiday season. Why wouldn't at least Rice or Houston schedule us THERE?

Guest EagleBackr

EB, you're absolutely right on. I would definitely make a road trip to Austin, College Station, or Lubbock around the December holiday season. Why wouldn't at least Rice or Houston schedule us THERE?

...I would even go so far as to go THERE for no guarantee, then pay them the going rate (or even a little bit more) for coming up HERE on the return game. Heck, even do a "2-There-for-1-Here" with the same financial arrangement. Whatever it takes - it's THAT important for us to play in the Metroplex or Houston area - for our players from there, for our recruiting, for our fans in those areas and in Tulsa, etc. Look at it as an INVESTMENT...

I don't have much to add about this- but I played for Thompson when he was at Metro Christian in Tulsa (before Arizona).

Addendum: To say that I played is a bit of an overstatement. More appopriately, I was on the Metro's team while Thompson coached. He's a good guy and wish the best for him.

To say that I played is a bit of an overstatement. More appopriately, I was on the Metro's team while Thompson coached. He's a good guy and wish the best for him.

So basically he never played you, so whatever happens to that punk he gets what he deserves...yeah?