2021 Summit League Awards

Old Titan

OK, don't laugh at this coming from of-all-people-me, but consider this:  does Paul Mills win Summit League Coach of the Year for 2021?

If not, then who? 

SDSU was the preseason pick and ended up winning the regular season crown; so that's the safe-but-hardly-creative choice. 

USD and NDSU stumbled a bit against tougher competition in February, but I could see Todd Lee of the Coyotes getting some consideration.

ORU technically under-achieved this season after being named in many circles the favorite to finish second, but was easily the most glamorous team in the league with the high-octane "Max & Kevin" show.

That's why, if it doesn't go to Eric Henderson of the Jackrabbits, my picks would be Paul Sather at UND or Billy Donlan at UMKC. 

Both of their teams finished strong, higher than projected in most preseason polls, and were not teams you looked forward to playing due to their tempo-sucking styles.

Still, I'm guessing it will go to Henderson:  he dealt with injuries, COVID, and Noah Friedel's issues, and still managed to finish on top.

But...wouldn't it be a hoot if it WAS Paul Mills? 😲

• Like 1

Preview of coming attractions:  fan-based voting from the guys who do the “Reaching The Summit” podcast. Looks pretty accurate:

Your posts are usually so good. 

This one was a swing and a whiff. 

COTY to a guy that has two of the best players in the league (including the MVP) and his team finished 4th, with an overall .500 record? 

This is ALMOST as funny as the people on the TU board suggesting Mills as a replacement for Haith. 

Thanks for the laugh. 

29 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Your posts are usually so good. 

This one was a swing and a whiff. 

COTY to a guy that has two of the best players in the league (including the MVP) and his team finished 4th, with an overall .500 record? 

This is ALMOST as funny as the people on the TU board suggesting Mills as a replacement for Haith. 

Thanks for the laugh. 

I’m struggling to find one single place in that post where I suggest Paul Mills should be named COTY.

He didn’t even make my top 3 candidates, which were (in order) Henderson of SDSU, Sather of UND, and Donlon of UMKC, with my dark horse being Lee of USD.

I just said it would be “a hoot” if he won...nothing else to see here. 

I found two places where you suggested it. 

"OK, don't laugh at this coming from of-all-people-me, but consider this:  does Paul Mills win Summit League Coach of the Year for 2021?"

"But...wouldn't it be a hoot if it WAS Paul Mills?"

*sigh*

Suggesting the unlikely possibility of something happening is a far cry from advocating it coming to pass.

Now, in the words of Jay Bilas' daily Twitter affirmation:  "I gotta go to work".

Peace & love, everybody - peace & love.

ringo starr peace sign GIF by Ringo Peace and Love

You two are becoming the Martin and Lewis of 2021.....I know....TheEagleman is dating himself.....😁

• Like 1

Reading between the lines:  RJ Glaspar will be available to play another year in 2021-22, presumably due to the "COVID exception" on eligibility:

I've never understood why they give out these awards before the end of the season? It's the same way with the Heisman, NFL, etc. 

In this case, the USD coach gets COY. But, if SDSU runs thru the conference tourney and ends up being the regular season and tournament champs and USD gets steamrolled in the first round, I don't know how you could give COY to anyone else but the SDSU coach?

I suppose it's like Coach K winning the ACC and making it to the Final 4, yet giving ACC COY to Josh Pastner or Danny Mannig because they did better than expected and went 17-13.

Good news that RJ Glasper should come back!  He is like a mini Max!  Big congrats to Max, K.O. and RJ on their awards.  Very well deserved by all three!