Max Abmas (and Kevin Obanor!) 2020-21 Honors (...and beyond?)

Old Titan

Figured it's time to start a thread dedicated to all the recognition that Max Abmas has received this year, and will no doubt continue to receive thru the post-season.  Curious to see how far into the spring we will be adding accolades to the list.

To date:

• Summit League Player of the Month for January, 2021
  • Summit League Player of the Week February 15th, 2021
  • CollegeInsider.com Lou Henson National Mid-Major Player of the Week February 15th, 2021
  • Presently No. 2 in the country in scoring at 23.2 points per game, trailing only presumptive national POY Luka Garza of Iowa
  • National and conference top ten in numerous offensive categories

And, then there's this today:  Myron Medcalf of ESPN has "Mid-Court Max" as his front-runner for Summit League Player of the Year:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30912377

• Upvote 1
  • Old Titan changed the title to Max Abmas 2020-21 Honors
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• Dr. Cornelius

• titansforever

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Kevin was a rank-and-file ORU student, his classmates or his church (or even we) could take up donations or set up a GoFundMe page toward a new set of wheels. But, as a so-called "student athl

If he is going to be a second rounder, he will be back at 81st & Lewis next year.  If he is going to be a first rounder (no matter where that is), he will sign with an agent. And I agree 100%

If the G League or Europe are the most likely outcomes, those opportunities will always be there for Max. If he was taller, it is a different story.   Makes sense to me to finish out his 4 years

Posted Images

Dr. Cornelius

The amazing thing is Max is doing this without a true post scoring threat!

titansforever

KTUL-Channel 8 in Tulsa is supposed to be doing a special feature on Max on tonight's news. I think it'll be on the 10 PM show, but it could be on the 4, 5, or 6.

Old Titan

Folks, I'm seriously beginning to think ORU's greatest challenge this off-season may not be keeping Max out of the transfer portal; it may in fact be keeping him out of the NBA draft.

I'm seeing more and posts similar to these on Twitter:

ORUTerry

Abmas scored 25 points against Western Illinois and now is at 24.682 PPG (543 points over 22 games). Garza (Iowa) has 583 points through 24 games - with two games left in the regular season. He would have to score 58 points over two games to catch Max. Davis from Detroit-Mercy has 511 points through 21 games - with one game to go. He needs 33 points to surpass Abmas. 

• Upvote 1
Keenan Henderson

If Max were 6'5 he would get drafted first round in the NBA draft but his size would probaly keep most teams from looking at him.  Otherwise, he would have to work his way up from the G League.  Here is hoping he waits two more years on that decision.  He still needs to work on his post game to be a complete player (smile)!

theeagleman5

Max is a very good shooter....but not ready for the NBA....and he would be foolish to transfer to a Power 5 school...his game is perfect for ORU and the mid major level. His body and game need to develop another couple years....if he keeps putting up numbers like this and can learn to play some D....the scouts will find him and likely already have....🏀😉🏀

Old Titan

If Max does in fact return to ORU next year for his "super sophomore" year (thanks to COVID), it will go down in ORU Basketball history as the greatest recruiting coup since signing Jamie Burgens!!*

*Sorry, just can't/won't let that one go - probably ever...

dos equis lol GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

• Haha 1
Dr. Cornelius

Old Titan

LOL - that voiceover got a little sketchy during the Obanor section.

I was waiting for “he gives it to the man; and ‘BOOM’ goes the dynamite!!”  
(Google it, kids) 🤣

Dr. Cornelius
10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - that voiceover got a little sketchy during the Obanor section.

I was waiting for “he gives it to the man; and ‘BOOM’ goes the dynamite!!”  
(Google it, kids) 🤣

Crazy to think that was over 15 years ago

• Like 1
TrueBlue82

Most impressive stat in the Summit press release: Max just recorded his ninth consecutive 20+ point performance.  I am definitely biased, but he seems like a lock for Summit POY.  His range and accuracy are unsurpassed in the collegiate ranks.

ORUTerry

Max is leading the country in scoring average and is 6th in 3-pt percentage. He is very efficient. 

ORUJason

Both Max and Kevin are very efficient. Both are averaging around 45-46% from 3 point range and both are averaging 88-90% on FTs.  Wow!

Old Titan

Yeah, with transfer rules so liberal right now, I'm not sure which is more troubling:  that as the leading scorer in the country Max can pretty much write his own ticket if he wants to; or that blue blood programs such as UK, KU, North Carolina or Duke can pretty much treat the entire college basketball landscape as their own private buffet from which to cherry-pick.

• Like 1
Keenan Henderson

Those blue bloods would not give Max the freedom he has at ORU.  He usually has the ball in hands, shoots from the logo, and is free to drive whenever he wants.  That would never happen at Kentucky.  It is flattering that big name schools would be interested in Max but would be very surpised if he transferred to a blue blood.  They just have too much talent and Max would just be another cog in the system.

EagleManiac

I tend to agree. Max is special as a playmaker with every possession running through his hands. As a catch and shoot piece, I doubt he would thrive.

Doesn't mean he won't go, though. I'm sure he'll get a lot of attention this spring (if he's not already).

• Like 1
oruvoice

Yeah. Playing at Rupp Arena in front of 24,000 fans, adored by millions, being coached by a hall of famer, on national TV every night would suck. 

Dr. Cornelius
7 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Yeah. Playing at Rupp Arena in front of 24,000 fans, adored by millions, being coached by a hall of famer, on national TV every night would suck. 

There would be pros and cons. I doubt a P5 coach would or could give Max a green light like he currently has. SEC guards are longer and would probably bring his numbers down a bit... So there would be a lot to consider.

If you can raise your profile to a national level at a place like ORU do you risk becoming the 3rd or 4th guy on a P5 team? Maybe you do, but I think Max is talented enough to get an NBA look no matter what he does.

• Old Titan changed the title to Max Abmas (and Kevin Obanor!) 2020-21 Honors (...and beyond?)