ORU Basketball Signs Edmond Memorial?s Justin Robinson

ORUTerry

ORU Basketball Signs Edmond Memorial?s Justin Robinson

For Immediate Release: April 13, 2006

TULSA?Justin Robinson (Edmond, Okla.) has signed a National Letter-of-Intent to play basketball at Oral Roberts University, ORU head coach Scott Sutton announced today.

Robinson, a 6-4, 185-pound guard from Edmond Memorial HS, was recently named second-team Big All-City by the Daily Oklahoman after averaging 18.1 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.2 steals and 3.1 assists. Robinson shot 44.6 percent form the field, 39.5 percent from 3-point range and 72.2 percent from the free throw line.

?We love his potential,? said Sutton. ?Justin?s a big guard with good athleticism. He can score in transition and he also shoots it well. We?re excited about adding yet another quality in-state student-athlete to our program. Justin has a chance to have a great career.?

As a junior, Robinson averaged 12.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.3 steals and 1.8 assists per game.

Robinson is ORU?s second spring signee, joining Northeastern Oklahoma A&M guard Kelvin Sango, who signed on Wednesday.

Oral Roberts 2006-07 Basketball Signees

Dominique Gaines, G, 6-2, 175, Muskogee, Okla. (Muskogee HS)

Jeremy Hazell, G, 6-4, 185, Bronx, N.Y. (The Patterson School)

Shawn King, C, 6-10, 220, Bequia, St. Vincent (Carl Albert State College)

Justin Robinson, G, 6-4, 185, Edmond, Okla. (Edmond Memorial HS)

Kelvin Sango, G, 6-3, 200, Tulsa, Okla. (Northeastern Oklahoma A&M)

How many (if any) of the kids coming in will be (or should be) red-shirted? We have the following guards (or wing players) on campus or coming next year:

Ken Tutt

Moses Ehambe

Adam Liberty

Daren Jordan

Marquis Gaines

Kelvin Sango

Justin Robinson

Jeremy Hazell

I think it's really going to depend on how they come in and perform in practices. We could see a kid we expected to do well come in and not perform well in our system. With the information we do have it does look like Gaines or Robinson will redshirt.

I would think Gaines might not redshirt since we have so many question marks at back-up point guard. Liberty might have to play 40 minutes a game. The young guys need experience, but when are they going to get it? Daren Jordan still has not played a D1 game. It will be interesting to see what happens with the back-up pg position. Of course I don't know how good any of our recruits are at this point. Ken Tutt will probably slide over and play more point next season. That is the position he'll have to play once he leaves ORU anyways.

With the information we do have it does look like Gaines or Robinson will redshit.

Is that like the **** splints of infamy from a couple months ago? Or is it a terrible medical condition? lol

I don't think any of the new players will be redshirted. We'll be pretty young next year, but imagine how inexperienced we will be in 07-08. We will be very talented next year, arguably more than the past couple years. I sure like the saying "You are only as good as your seniors" this season.

Seniors

Ken Tutt

Caleb Green

Juniors

Shawn King

Adam Liberty

Moses Ehambe

Yemi Ogunoye

Sophomores

Marchello Vealy

Kelvin Sango

Freshmen

Sylvester Spicer

Daren Jordan

Justin Robinson

Jeremy Hazell

Dominique Gaines

Potential Starters

PG Adam Liberty

SG Ken Tutt

SF Yemi Ogunoye

PF Caleb Green

C Shawn King

Bench

Marchello Vealy

Sylvester Spicer

Guards

Jeremy Hazell

Moses Ehambe

Kelvin Sango

Justin Robinson

Dominique Gaines

Daren Jordan

I don't think any of the new players will be redshirted. We'll be pretty young next year, but imagine how inexperienced we will be in 07-08. We will be very talented next year, arguably more than the past couple years. I sure like the saying "You are only as good as your seniors" this season.

Seniors

Ken Tutt

Caleb Green

Juniors

Shawn King

Adam Liberty

Moses Ehambe

Yemi Ogunoye

Sophomores

Marchello Vealy

Kelvin Sango

Freshmen

Sylvester Spicer

Daren Jordan

Justin Robinson

Jeremy Hazell

Dominique Gaines

I would say that with that group the future is looking pretty bright for the next several years.

Too many guards to get playing time.... Is suspect that a red-shirt will be placed on one or two of them.

I also think that Marchello will battle Yemi for the small forward position. Chello is a much more gifted offensive player but needs to work on his defense. Having him on the court alongside Green makes us very dangerous down low.

Yeah, I hope Chello is able to improve over the summer, I'd like to see him crack the starting lineup. He showed flashes on both sides of the ball, making nice plays and blocking shots. Hopefully in a year or so he can be as good for us as Larry was this past season.