ORU at NDSU

theeagleman5

16 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

You’ve never liked him, when all he does is win like clockwork the third time through the league in Sioux Falls!  🤣

well we havent had a "big win" since Okla 2014 in NCAA Tourney.  not 1 power 5 win , just had some easy runs thru summit missing sdsu 

Yeah....and Carson Wentz turned out to be a stiff, too......😉

As nice as it was to win last night in my opinion we were fortunate to win! Had NDSU kept pounding the ball inside they probably would have won. Once again Paul Mills has recruited some decent players but clearly they are not being developed. We can enjoy this occasional  good win but shouldn't expect it too often against well coached teams. 

I agree LakesBison.  In the 2nd game vs UMKC that we lost at home, the offense was NOT running through Obanor and toward the end of the game Obanor was on the bench.

Running the offense through Obanor can create some mismatches with other Summit teams.  Make the other teams change their preferred lineup in order to try and stop Obanor.  Get them out of their game.

2 hours ago, lakesbison said:

heck.Obaner in the High pick n roll over & over would crush teams alone.

There’s a reason Obanor’s numbers against Omaha and NDSU are so high. Neither of those teams switch ball screens with Pile or Kreuser. The way you neutralize the high pick and roll with a pick and pop forward is to switch. Amazes me that some teams continue to hedge. Of course according to some posters on here, Dave Richman might as well be John Wooden. 🤔😂

9 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

There’s a reason Obanor’s numbers against Omaha and NDSU are so high. Neither of those teams switch ball screens with Pile or Kreuser. The way you neutralize the high pick and roll with a pick and pop forward is to switch. Amazes me that some teams continue to hedge. Of course according to some posters on here, Dave Richman might as well be John Wooden. 🤔😂

Nice job of trolling - I’ll bite:  in my book, one indication of a good coach is that his teams improve as the season progresses, which NDSU has consistently done since Richman took over.

The proof is how well the Bison have performed in Sioux Falls.  If an ORU coach had a similar track record, he would be enjoying the same John Wooden comparisons himself. 

56 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Nice job of trolling - I’ll bite:  in my book, one indication of a good coach is that his teams improve as the season progresses, which NDSU has consistently done since Richman took over.

The proof is how well the Bison have performed in Sioux Falls.  If an ORU coach had a similar track record, he would be enjoying the same John Wooden comparisons himself. 

I agree the last two years in the tournament the Bison have had success. But if you actually look at who they have played, they have been favored in every game. Of the 6 games in the last two years, they have played the #4 seed or higher in 5 of the 6. Last year they played the #8, #4 and then the #6 seed for the championship.

In 2019 they played the #5, #8 and then #2 seed Omaha for the championship. They’ve avoided SDSU and South Dakota both years, which obviously lends well to winning in Sioux Falls, SD. 

Richman is a good coach. He has won two Summit League championships and has been very fortunate playing the #8 seed twice in two years, the #6 seed for the championship in 2020 and played an Omaha team with a small fanbase in the championship in 2019. 

32 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I agree the last two years in the tournament the Bison have had success. But if you actually look at who they have played, they have been favored in every game. Of the 6 games in the last two years, they have played the #4 seed or higher in 5 of the 6. Last year they played the #8, #4 and then the #6 seed for the championship.

In 2019 they played the #5, #8 and then #2 seed Omaha for the championship. They’ve avoided SDSU and South Dakota both years, which obviously lends well to winning in Sioux Falls, SD. 

Richman is a good coach. He has won two Summit League championships and has been very fortunate playing the #8 seed twice in two years, the #6 seed for the championship in 2020 and played an Omaha team with a small fanbase in the championship in 2019. 

Another sign of a good coach:  taking care of business with whoever they put in front of you.

In contrast, how many times has ORU been eliminated in Sioux Falls by a weaker seed?  So many times they start to blur together. 

I guess ORU tournament loses to the likes of Western Illinois and IUPUI must have been due to those “fanbases” you mentioned... 😉

I never mentioned ORU in any of my posts or tried to compare the two teams. I simply was talking about your guy Richman. I guess we both agree he’s a good coach. Because I hesitate to claim he’s shown to be anything better than “good”. 

On 2/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, lakesbison said:

i will say watching Obaner play.   he could be the Summit MVP , you should get him 20-25 shots a game 

He has won the Summit League Player of the week award three times this year and should be a first team All Summit League Player.  

For K.O. to win MVP, ORU would have to win out and take the league crown, not happening this year.  Will be interesting to see him go agaisnt Doug Wilson (SDSU) this weekend, the former MVP.  Who is the MVP: Wilson or K.O.?

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Who is the MVP: Wilson or K.O.?

KO has won Summit Player of the Week three times, while Rocky Kreuser (NDSU) and Stanley Umude (USD) have each won twice.  You'd have to figure that the POY honor is a three-horse race between those thoroughbreds.

8 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I never mentioned ORU in any of my posts or tried to compare the two teams. I simply was talking about your guy Richman.

???

Never said you did; I chose to contrast ORU and NDSU as two ends of the spectrum lately when it comes to taking care of business in the conference tournament.  Richman seems to get the best out of his teams in March, which is what truly matters in a 1-bid league like the Summit League.

In contrast, I suppose I could have used SDSU or Omaha instead of ORU in the comparison, but I'm more familiar with ORU's history of underachieving in Sioux Falls.

Look, I just like the guy, for a number of reasons on and off the court.  He appears to be a class act, and a great representative for NDSU basketball.  If I was an athletic director and his boss, I would be very happy with his job performance.