ORU at NDSU

theeagleman5

A pair up in Fargo this Fri/Sat and it will be no picnic for the Good Guys....hopefully ORU has been practicing hard the past two weeks with no games especially on the defensive end.....we never play well at NDSU and the Bison are undefeated (4-0) at home this season....10-8 overall.....they are 3rd in the Summit at 8-2 just ahead of the Golden Eagles (6-2).....Bison are coming off a road loss at UMKC where they were held to 47 points (49-47).....guessing they might score 47 against ORU in the first half.....but honestly, TheEagleman thinks this Friday Night contest is one that we could steal....we have to shoot well and play at least a little D.....need huge games from our big players KO and Max....and some bench scoring.....seems like the starters are doing 90+% of the scoring this season.....48 hours until tip off....what are the thoughts out there in ORU Golden Eagle Land?...any idea if Lufile will be finally suiting up or is he redshirting?.....:tb-blue:

It would be a great series to see DJ Weaver really set up and play a big role.  He has for the most part (except for maybe 3 games) been missing in action this season.  ORU will have to play its best basketball on both sides of the ball to have any chance of beating NDSU.  The Bison are just really solid in every part of the game.  Most of their backcourt is 6'5 or bigger and will most likely give the Eagles a lot of problems on defense.

Entering the third and most compelling of three events in this triathlon:

EVENT 1 - THE NON-CON

No significant wins in a COVID-abbreviated slate, but held serve where expected. 

EVENT 2 - THE SUMMIT BOTTOM HALF

Disappointing not to sweep these 8 games, particularly losing two at home. 

EVENT 3 - THE SUMMIT TOP HALF (and, Western Illinois - lol)

The next six games, starting with NDSU, will determine whether this program is slowly making progress or simply spinning its wheels.

Would frankly be surprised to see ORU avoid the sweep in Fargo; it will take something (or someone) rising to a heretofore unseen level of performance. 

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Would frankly be surprised to see ORU avoid the sweep in Fargo; it will take something (or someone) rising to a heretofore unseen level of performance. 

I totally agree with this statement.  A win in Fargo would be as surprising from a positive aspect as were the two disappointing home losses against the bottom half.  It was said late last year that this team had the makings of a "feast or famine" approach to the season.  By playing the first eight conference games as favorites, ORU has experienced the "famine" side twice (and came dangerously close a couple more times).  Now, over the next six games, we get to see whether this team can pull off a "feast" win or two.  They have shown that they can win on the road - but can they knock off a quality opponent on their home court?  If not, ORU is destined to playing in the 4/5 game in the first round of the conference tourney with little chance of advancing to the title game.  And that outcome would be a sad ending to a season which showed glimmers of promise.

ORU last won in Fargo eight nine years ago today (2/4/2012) are just 2-9 all time away from home against the Bison.

Thanks for that stat, Doc.....it has been a looooong time since we had a win in Fargo.....this ORU team is tough to figure and agree with OT that the next 6 games will shed the light on the progress of this team....no way we can go 6-0 but I surely could see a possibility that we pull an 0-6....not likely as i think ORU will win a game or two in this stretch....3-3 would be AWESOME!.....i would take that right now.....the first game at NDSU tomorrow night is huge....we need to set the tone and TheEagleman thinks this is the game we have to steal if the Good Guys are going to get a much needed split.....if we lay an egg this could be a long 3 weekends .....early line shows the Bison as a 5 point favorite and O/U is a mere 142....that's not too bad....and I think this will be a close game....I expect ORU to hang tough for maybe 39 minutes....but in the end it's hard to believe that the home team won't come up with a few big defensive stops and baskets....I am tempted to take ORU and the OVER here....i see a high scoring close game.....NDSU 79  ORU 75.....:NDSU:

NDSU was pathetic at UMKC and haven't played a decent team yet in conference play.

wiu, omaha, denver, und, umkc   all horrible teams.

IF ORU was smart theyd feed obaner down low all game, but you guys are in love with the 3 ball it seems.

I see split all over this thing, me and eaglemans pocket books just need to figure out which night..hmmm

4 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

NDSU favored by 5 at NDSU? That seems low, unless we chuck in 18-20 3-pointers. 

A NDSU cover is almost a sure thing.

11 hours ago, lakesbison said:

IF ORU was smart theyd feed obaner down low all game, but you guys are in love with the 3 ball it seems.

Lakes - I think you have hit the nail right on the head.  Although ORU fans talk a lot about the lack of defense (and believe me, the concerns with defensive play are valid), the offensive production has its challenges as well.  This team IS in love with the three, and our three primary interior players (Obanor, Lacis, Weaver) feel more comfortable outside the arc.  So, while the best play may be to feed the ball inside (which would also open up the possibility of an inside-out pass to set up a three), our interior guys love to come out to place a screen, and then hang around a bit in hopes of receiving the ball and taking a three.  And then, if they miss the shot (over 65% of the time), there is no one available for a rebound opportunity.  In ORU's normal offensive flow, you will often see four of the five players outside the arc at any point in time.

With two weeks off, I'm hopeful that the offensive plan has been adjusted to take more advantage of our interior play, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 1

The line has dropped to NDSU -3.5......hummmmmmmmm???......O/U still at 142......:shield-logo::hc_mills::NDSU:

4 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

A NDSU cover is almost a sure thing.

So, that means we'll set an NCAA record for 3's made in a game, score 140, and win by 50. 

Looking at the Bison's last game at KC, two starters were out: Cook and Harden-Hayes.  They each average around 9-10 points, so if they are still out then ORU has a good chance this weekend.

45 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Looking at the Bison's last game at KC, two starters were out: Cook and Harden-Hayes.  They each average around 9-10 points, so if they are still out then ORU has a good chance this weekend.

That will be interesting to see, KH.  In the second game against UMKC, the Bison were down to 6 players (a 7th played 3 minutes), so the roster is getting pretty thin.  Haven't seen any status updates from NDSU on the injuries.

50 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Both will Play. 

Yea line moved, I know some sharks in Vegas and ORU +5.5 was juicy as hell. 

I hope NDSU wins, but I expect a nailbaiter, and at ORU +3. im not touching this game 

if anyone wants referral to betus.com pm me!