ORU at NDSU

theeagleman5

half  28-24 NDSU   NDSU started up 83% shooting, then didn't get a basket the last 12 min  & ORU has 2 scores. weird game.

man ORU rushed that last 3 when they were down 58 54  

Obaner without Rocky is money down low.   bad coaching in the moment.  in my opinion

no backdoor cover, no backdoor cover.  haha

ORU had this 1 actually if that Glasner or whoever doesn't force that 3 early in the shot clock and got it down low to Obaner who was on fire.

We stink.....😬😵😳

The Bison jumped on ORU early and then just kept the Eagles at bay the rest of the game.  Besides K.O. and Max the team shot 3-22 from the field.  No matter how good your best two players are, it still takes a team to win.  NDSU is just overall a better team.

The defense was better holding them to 38 percent shooting.  Where was Kareem, DJ, and RJ (hit two late threes)?  It seemed like they never got off the bus!

The last three games ORU has gotten behind by 12-14 (looking like they were in a fog) and then wake up in the second half to tie the game.  Is that poor coaching or does the team just need a wake up call every game?  

If the opposition broadcast team is professional and not student-led, I will on occasion tune into their call of ORU men’s games, to hear the perspective from outside our box.

I have come to realize there is a general consensus amongst Summit League observers, dating back to the last 2-3 years of the Sutton era and persisting to this day, of the following:

• ORU has long, athletic players who look the part.
  • ORU typically has a couple of very talented scorers. 
  • ORU is generally a poor defensive program that can be overwhelmed by structured offenses.
  • ORU lacks physicality and mental toughness on the perimeter and can be pushed around when trying to run their offensive sets.
  • To put it diplomatically, upper-division Summit teams feel they have an advantage when it comes to coaching.

Fair assessments, or not?

• Upvote 1

That is a good call OT.  It will never happen but Coach Mills should stay as a recuriter and let someone else develop and coach the players.  That is probaly what he did at Baylor.

Both teams made 21 field goals; NDSU made 5 three pointers and ORU made 9. NDSU outrebounded ORU by 4; turnovers were even at 12. ORU shot 37% from the 3 point line and 30% from 2-pt. 

Did not see or hear the game  

The determining stat appears to be free throws.  NDSU shot 21 and made 14. ORU shot 2(!) and made 1.

27 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Both teams made 21 field goals; NDSU made 5 three pointers and ORU made 9. NDSU outrebounded ORU by 4; turnovers were even at 12. ORU shot 37% from the 3 point line and 30% from 2-pt. 

Did not see or hear the game  

The determining stat appears to be free throws.  NDSU shot 21 and made 14. ORU shot 2(!) and made 1.

Box score doesn’t tell the story:  NDSU jumped out to an early double-digit lead, getting to the rim time and time again (hitting 9 of their first 10 shots), then relaxed and fell in love with the three the rest of the game; shooting a poor percentage from there, thus allowing ORU to make a couple of runs. 

In contrast, ORU’s inside game was so ineffective that the first Golden Eagle 2-point basket didn’t occur until Obanor had a stick-back with 7:32 left in the first half  

Even worse stat:  ORU’s first points by anyone other than Obanor or Abmas cane several minutes into the SECOND half on a breakaway lay-up by Jurgens.

I am hard-pressed to recall ANY set-piece lay-ups by ORU in the entire game; hard to get to the free throw line when you’re not trying to get to the rim in your half-court offense. 

I think teams realize that if you can get the game into the 60s you have almost an automatic win against ORU. ORU can't or won't get stops and doesn't value the ball.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I think teams realize that if you can get the game into the 60s you have almost an automatic win against ORU. ORU can't or won't get stops and doesn't value the ball.

...which they accomplish by (ironically) focusing on everyone else beyond Abmas and Obanor. 

In his post-game comments, Coach Richman (who I consider the best coach in the Summit League) said that ORU’s two stars “are going to get their’s.  What we want to do is make sure they have to work as hard as possible to do it, while staying true to our defensive philosophies,” so that none of the others take up the slack.

• Upvote 1

by my count ORU is 4-24 in the Dakotas since returning to the Summit......ouch!!!   (and 2 of the 4 wins were against non Dakota schools)

2014 -15

• L - NDSU (66-72)
  • W - USD (73-72)
  • L - SDSU (52-81)
  • * W - IUPUI (60-57)
  • *  L - NDSU (56-60)

2015 -16

• L - NDSU (63-67)
  • L - USD (79-91)
  • L - SDSU (65-73)
  • * L - SDSU (70-73)

2016 -17

• L - NDSU (71-81)
  • L - SDSU (67-74)
  • L - USD (72 -86)

2017 -18 

• L - SDSU (75-78)
  • L - NDSU (64-82)
  • L - USD (70-82)
  • * L - DEN (88-90 -- 2OT)

2018 -19

• L - SDSU (65-84)
  • W - USD (86-72)
  • L - NDSU (73-85)
  • L - UND (73-85)
  • * L - NDSU (73-86)

2019 -20

• L - SDSU (79-96)
  • L - USD (80-91)
  • L - UND (68-74)
  • L - NDSU (76-83)
  • * W - OMAHA (79-52)
  • * L - NDSU (69-75)

2020 -21

• L - NDSU (54-61)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

...which they accomplish by (ironically) focusing on everyone else beyond Abmas and Obanor. 

In his post-game comments, Coach Richman (who I consider the best coach in the Summit League) said that ORU’s two stars “are going to get their’s.  What we want to do is make sure they have to work as hard as possible to do it, while staying true to our defensive philosophies,” so that none of the others take up the slack.

not even close the best coach. 

but carry on. 

tonight will be an interesting game,  he gets outcoached big time on Saturday night games after friday

29 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

not even close the best coach. 

but carry on. 

tonight will be an interesting game,  he gets outcoached big time on Saturday night games after friday

oru up 24-16

i rest my case, he get outcoached on back 2 back nights routinely 

2 hours ago, lakesbison said:

oru up 24-16

i rest my case, he get outcoached on back 2 back nights routinely 

You’ve never liked him, when all he does is win like clockwork the third time through the league in Sioux Falls!  🤣