Kansas City

Keenan Henderson

What an exciting game! ORU comes from 14 down to win.  When was the last time that happened?  The zone defense really shut down KC in the last ten minutes.  Give the Eagles credit, they found a way to win a grind it out type of game.

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

What an exciting game! ORU comes from 14 down to win.  When was the last time that happened?  The zone defense really shut down KC in the last ten minutes.  Give the Eagles credit, they found a way to win a grind it out type of game.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Total GRINDER!  Congrats to KC for their game plan, and kudos to Mills and staff for shifting to the zone midway through the second half.  We played poor defense, lost the rebounding battle, committed WAY too many turnovers - and still gutted out an ugly win.  And, I can't say enough about R.J. Glasper tonight.  No only did he hit the game winner, but he had a solid game throughout, matching his career high of 17 points on 7-12 FG shooting, including 2-5 from three.  This was not a win to be excited about, but a relief in narrowly avoiding a very devastating loss.  

• Upvote 1

An ugly win is still a win....impressive that the Good Guys were able to come from 14 down in the 2nd half....Max had a big 2nd stanza and Glasper comes up huge with the game winner at :03....60-58...ORU keeps up with the other 3 Summit leaders and hopefully we can bring their A game on Sunday Night....Go Blue!!😁🏀😁

• Upvote 3

Did anyone get to go to the game tonight?  Adam was saying on the internet feed that the crowd was really alive and helped push ORU to that come from behind victory.  Great to see the students at the game, seems like the first time they have been at a game in 20-21.

Nice gut check win last night. Kind of similar to first game against ND, but of a better outcome. I mention it because ORU came out the next day and took care of business!

I feel like that will happen again. ORU wins by double digits.

also, looking forward to seeing ORU in the blue uni’s at home. Personally I like it.

That was one of those games last night where Oral Roberts's statement Expect a Miracle came to pass.  The Eagles really had no business winning that game but somehow by faith they hit that final shot (of course KC missed a couple of late free throws too).  It was also a strange game in that the Roos were whistled for 3 flop calls and received two techinicals.  I have watched basketball for many years and cannot ever remember something like that happening.

A few thoughts: 

- Really fun game. Good to have students back and the crowd played a significant role in the comeback. At about the 9 minute mark in the second half, the crowd came alive and you could tell it helped push the guys. Max's energy picked up immediately and he really led the charge in the comeback and was the catalyst for the rest of the guys.

- It was a physical game, particularly on the perimeter. Any time an ORU guard would get a half step on their defender, there was a forearm on the hip pushing back to the perimiter, and it usually worked as their guards are pretty big. Will be interesting to see how the refs call the game tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more hand-check fouls tonight, and a much higher scoring game. 

- UMKC's new branding is great and I love their jerseys. Maybe the best branding for a low-major I've seen. 

- We were outcoached for the majority of the game. They had a better game plan and were able to keep Max and Obanor quiet for most of the night (Obanor primarily due to foul trouble)  Switching to the zone at 10 minutes was the only good coaching move from the night, but it resulted in the win. Props to the coaching staff for that, but our guys were not set up for success. We'll see what happens tonight. 

- Hot take... we need to shoot more 3s. Last night we tried too hard to attack the bucket. They were giving us good, open looks, but we were too focused on trying to get to the bucket. Take what the defense gives you. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

- Really fun game. Good to have students back and the crowd played a significant role in the comeback. At about the 9 minute mark in the second half, the crowd came alive and you could tell it helped push the guys. Max's energy picked up immediately and he really led the charge in the comeback and was the catalyst for the rest of the guys.

The atmosphere for the last 5 minutes or so was really good!

52 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

- UMKC's new branding is great and I love their jerseys. Maybe the best branding for a low-major I've seen. 

I like UMKC's branding but am still partial to the 30's era Disney design.

spacer.png

40 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The atmosphere for the last 5 minutes or so was really good!

I like UMKC's branding but am still partial to the 30's era Disney design.

spacer.png

Is this real?

UMKC alum here...

Glad to see that you have some fans in attendance this weekend.

Re Disney:   Denver's "Boone" character (officially retired, but used by the Let's Go DU fan site) was produced by a Disney employee.  So maybe they should have named this league The Magic Kingdom? 

• Upvote 1