Kansas City

Keenan Henderson

Who is ready to renew the old rivarly with Kansas City?  They play tough defense and even though they are 1-3 in league play, ever game has been tight.  Would be nice to have some Kansas City Barbecue about right now! (bad joke)

ORU will kick their A$$.....😁🏀😁

UMKCs run with Michael Watson and Carlton Aaron (Burger King) was their best stretch where they picked up several of those wins.  That was a fun rivalry and I am very glad they are back in the Summit.  ORU faced UMKC at least 2 times in the Summit League tournament in a 4-5 1st round matchup and when they had Watson they were a tough out.

Didn't Watson light us up for 39 or so one night at Mabee in a UMKC win then celebrate by dancing on the ORU logo...which really ticked our guys off for the rematch?....😮🏀😮

Yes I think it was a double OT game, UMKC won, he walked to center court and flipped off the crowd either then or as he was walking out, and I think he scored 54 points.  He literally could not miss and was shooting 3 pointers from 28-30 feet out that were going in.  He was a truly special talent who had a religious transformation and left basketball to join the ministry.

I just looked it up and it was February 23, 2003.  It broke a 14 game home win streak for the Eagles and I believe it forced us to meet UMKC 2-3 weeks later in the 4-5 seed game that I think we lost.

The crazy thing about that game is that ORU led 16-2 to start the game.  Also the attendance was 6,438 (according to the article).  I think there might have been a ticket giveaway or something but there was a huge and very involved crowd all evening.

Ah....those were the days....54 points has to still be the record for a visitor. TheEagleman was at Mabee in Feb 1973 the night that Doug Collins poured in 49 for Illinois State....an incredible game in which Fuqua had about 42....🏀

KC just seems like a more natural rivalry then say the Dakota schools, who are so far away (try next to Canada).  This will be a couple of games of offense vs defense this weekend, as the Roos lead the conference at just giving up 61 points a game.  It may be hard to sweep KC because of their toughness that tends to wear teams down.  It will be a good test to see how the Eagles handle these type of teams.

Agee this should be a challenging weekend but we need to come out of this at 7-1....Golden Eagles are -6.5 in Game 1......TheEagleman loves ORU at that number...O/U is a meager 141.....i might have to take ORU and tease with the Over......let's call it ORU 77  UMKC 70.....:shield-logo:

Since KC’s series at WIU last weekend was a COVID casualty, the Roos will have not played a game since being swept by USD in KC two weeks ago.  They will be well rested, but they may also have a hard time getting back into the flow of game action. 

UMKC stats:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/missouri-kansas-city/2021.html

The Roos apparently are a good defensive team. I think I read someplace that  UNKC uses pressure some of the time. They lead the league in steals at 6.8 per game and are out rebounding conference opponents by +3 rebs per game. They are a good 2-pt shooting team, but not from the three point arc or free throw line. They have lots of tall guards  

It will be an interesting study in contrasts. UMKC lost two close games against South Dakota on the road and split against North Dakota. 

The Roos have played some decent teams close and have beat some of them so I think this 2 game series will be a dog fight. This may be the determining factor does UMKC's defense prevail or does our offense win out. Hopefully Max and KO are red hot and our supporting cast can contribute significantly! If our offense is on and our defense is decent  i predict a 5 win tonight 

ORU defense is rarely decent....😵🏀😵

Watched some of the women's game (tough loss) and the students were at the game, around 75-100 of them.  Maybe some students will be at the men's game tonight and bring some energy/excitement to the guys.

KC playing a brand of style that always gives ORU trouble: tough defense and efficient offense.  The Eagles will have to figure out a different approach at halftime or KC will win.  Down 31-27 at halftime.

So far....not good....need KO and Max to get going....😬😮🏀

Anyone else having trouble getting the ORU Athletics app to work?  I really miss the days that our games were broadcast on ESPN.  Also watching NDSU/Denver on ESPN.  With around 4:30 to go in the 1st half NDSU is up 38-16 over Denver.