Jeff Capel to OU

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

Remember how Gil Brandt made such a name for himself as a general manager of the Dallas Cowboys by signing unknown talent from smaller schools? But didn't it seem like toward the end of his career, he became something of a victim of his own persona and felt obligated to perpetuate his reputation by ALWAYS signing a mystery player whenever possible?

Has Joe Castiglione fallen into the same trap after hitting such a "left-field" home run with Bob Stoops? Was the Gene Stephenson fiasco in baseball a harbinger of things to come? Does Joe C. feel like he HAS to make the quirky hire EVERY TIME instead of the safe one? JEFF CAPEL IS AN INCREDIBLE GAMBLE!! Shades of Buzz Peterson going to TU and Quinn Snyder going to Missouri. YOUNG ATLANTIC COAST GUYS HAVE NOT FARED WELL IN THIS REGION. Can this guy recruit Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, etc.? Can he hold his own with the refs in a game against Knight, Barnes, Huggins - even Self? Time will tell, but I'm seriously scratching my head on this one....

Has this guy even been to Oklahoma or Texas before? Very interesting and risky choice by the Sooners. Makes sense for a team that is not upper echelon (Colorado, Nebraska, etc)..... but Oklahoma? The guy is east coast all the way - and only 31 years old. He does come from a coaching family, but the Duke coaching tree does not have a very good reputation. I assume he will keep Bob Hoffman on staff to help him learn the ropes around Oklahoma.

Having a little ACC blood in me (tarheel blue) I am naturally biased. Even though he is a Dookie, I hope Jeff does well at OU.

Guest EagleBackr
Remember how Gil Brandt made such a name for himself as a general manager of the Dallas Cowboys by signing unknown talent from smaller schools? But didn't it seem like toward the end of his career, he became something of a victim of his own persona and felt obligated to perpetuate his reputation by ALWAYS signing a mystery player whenever possible?

Has Joe Castiglione fallen into the same trap after hitting such a "left-field" home run with Bob Stoops?....

Jim Traber on The Sports Animal out of Oklahoma City just said the EXACT SAME THING about Gil Brandt vs. Joe C. at 2:20 p.m. that I posted above at 10:00 a.m. I just couldn't resist the urge to come back on here and, in "The Whammer's" own words, "give it up to myself"... :wink:

TU should have actually had Capel in my opinion. He is definately one of the up and coming coaches in college basketball. He obviously help lay some ground work at Old Dominion and did an excellent job at VCU. Our family has talked about him numerous times, and knew it was only a matter of time until he got a bigtime job. This family thinks it is a great hire. A little left field, but this guy will get it done. Young guys have a way of using the negativity as motivation. Really it comes down to who he hires as assistants. He needs to make sure that OU spends top dollar on a quality staff. All coaches are sunk if they don't get a solid recruiter. You are only as good as your players.

OU couldn't solidify a big-name hire like Calipari because Kelvin Sampson has left the cupboard bare at OU.

With Bookout and Gray gone, and some of the new OU recruits having academic qualification issues, it wasn't worth the risk for a big-time coach to come to OU with big expectations and then have 1-2 rebuilding years.

As it is, I think this will hurt the ability of OU to recruit on a national level.

As a result, they may have to sign more top-flight players from Texas and Oklahoma.

With Eddie probably gone at OSU, Sean Sutton may have to do the same.

So, the question is, does this HELP ORU recruiting because Scott is now the longest tenured head coach in Oklahoma and ORU is clearly the class of the Mid-Con, or does it HURT ORU recruiting because OU and OSU may have to snag some high quality local players that would otherwise have come to ORU/TU?

Guest darrenjj

I was real close on my Reggie Theus pick. Boy, my source was really wrong on that one. If Capel can keep the class from this year they should be alright next year. Although being a Texas fan it would not bother me if they were terrible!!

OU couldn't solidify a big-name hire like Calipari because Kelvin Sampson has left the cupboard bare at OU.

How is the cupboard bare?? They just signed a top 5 recruiting class and it looks like the 2 guys who hadn't qualified will. They just signed a bunch of studs, which Kansas showed that you can win with a bunch of freshmen in the Big12. The cupboard is anything but bare at OU...

Without Gray and Bookout, OU has no one worth their salt down low in the post with any NCAA experience.

For every example of a team like Kansas who succeeded with youth (Fab Five at Michigan) there are several examples of teams with highly rated recruiting classes who took a year or two to succeed in a tough conference like the Big 12.

OSU is a great example. They also had a very highly touted recruiting class, and a lot of talent, and a stud in Jameson Curry returning, but they lost all their veteran leadership, and they had a disappointing season.

That will be the OU story next year. They will have a lot of talent, but they will probably be outcoached, and there will be a lot of freshman mistakes.

Also, the refs will probably not treat Coach Capel with the same respect that they will Knight, Self, Barnes, Huggins, etc. Capel will have to pay his dues.

Because of the uncertainty, and Kelvin's track record of 11 NCAA tournaments in 12 years, I still think most big name coaches saw the OU job as a possible trap in the short run, in which it would be difficult to meet expectations.

Plus, OU wasn't ready to pay Calipari $2 million per season, so they probably lost out on a bidding war.

It's too bad for OU fans that Mike Anderson wasn't available.

That's funny Eli, cause I was thinking the same thing about you being such a big longhorns fan :lol:

And for Jason, Sampson didn't use Grey or Bookout at all, OU should have owned everyone inside, but they never got the ball because their guards had their respective heads up a certain part of their body all game every game! By the cupboard being empty, I usually look at that as their isn't any talent, which isn't close to the truth in Norman, there is tons of talent, not much experience. They could flop like the aggies from stillwater or they could have a great year like Kansas. I'd say they'll be right in the middle and they'll go to the NIT, mostly because of the coach, not so much the players, but give 'em a year or two, I think this is going to be a good team.