Two will sign with Eagles - TW

Guest Blevins

Guest Blevins

Two will sign with Eagles

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

4/11/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Oral Roberts University received verbal commitments from a pair of 6-foot-3 prospective men's basketball players.

Kelvin Sango of Northeastern A&M and Justin Robinson of Edmond Memorial High School said they will sign with the Golden Eagles on Wednesday, the first day of the spring signing period.

Sango and ORU standout Caleb Green are first cousins. They played together on Memorial's Class 6A championship team in 2003.

"I like the environment at ORU and being at home and playing in front of my family," Sango said.

Sango led the Norse in scoring (14.4 points per game) while shooting 58 percent. NEO went 21-11 and reached the Region II semifinals.

Sango missed the 2004-05 season, his first at NEO, with a knee injury and has three years of college eligibility remaining.

Robinson averaged 18 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.1 assists while shooting 39.5 percent from 3-point range as a senior. Edmond Memorial was 17-6.

"I think ORU will be a great place for me. I think I'll fit in with the team," Robinson said.

Verbal commitments are non-binding. Division I coaches are prohibited from commenting on prospective student-athletes

until they have signed letters of intent.

ORU has five scholarships available for the 2006-07 season, and has already signed 6-10 Shawn King of Carl Albert State College, 6-2 Dominique Gaines of Muskogee High School and 6-4 Jeremy Hazell of Bronx, N.Y.

Guest EagleBackr

...they sound like great signings, but I do have one little question - "WHERE'S THE BEEF?!?" We're gettin' awful small all the sudden... :shock:

I agree that we could use a bit more height, though we are trading Sean King (6'10") for Mickey Michalec (6'10") - a wash. We also lose 6'7" Larry Owens.... I guess we will replace him by committee. Jeremy Hazell (6'4") is supposed to have some of his athleticism and we will have Sylvester Spicer (6'6") available too.

Sango missed the 2004-05 season, his first at NEO, with a knee injury and has three years of college eligibility remaining.

Nice that we will have Sango for three years instead of the normal two years for a juco player. These perimeter players represent a difference from our normal guard of the last several years - in that they are over 6'2". We have normally had guards in the 6' (or lower) range that have had trouble matching up with taller opponents. Our incoming perimeter players are:

Adam Liberty - 6'2"

Marquis Gaines - 6'2"

Justin Robinson - 6'3"

Kelvin Sango - 6'3"

Jeremy Hazell - 6'4"

That is a lot of guards isn't it?

I think ORU is going to a more perimeter style of play to match up with the IUPUIs and Chicago States and UMKCs that will probably be our main competition in the next few years. Most teams in the MidCon really don't have much size, seems to me. Of course VALPO used to.

I don't think the staff's lofty goal was to match up with the UMKC's of the world (not saying that this class is). I think they would have loved to sign another big out there. Sometimes you have to take what you get and keep working hard on the next class.

I know that we've talked about this ad nauseum, but with these commitments, doesn't it mean that we now have one scholarship unfilled?

At this point, is anyone aware of a player that we're trying to get to fill that spot?

It may be that they will hold one open for the time being, first, because they don't have anyone they're interested in at this point, and second, to spread out the timing of graduation a little bit. I guess we'll find out over the next couple of weeks.

Guest darrenjj

A lot of colleges play 3 guards now days. I know Texas did it quite a bit this year. ORU played mostly 3 guards 2 years ago. At least they are in the 6'3" range and not a bunch of small guys. I will take a smaller athletic guy over a 6'7" stiff. They are stilling looking for another juco big. Can Sango play the 3? I have never seen him. Maybe run and press more. Anybody know anything about the Robinson kid? Also you have to remember that things change as far as qualifying and kids transferring. Almost every year that type of thing happens to open up more spots.

Guest EagleBackr
Two will sign with Eagles

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

4/11/2006

...ORU has five scholarships available for the 2006-07 season, and has already signed 6-10 Shawn King of Carl Albert State College, 6-2 Dominique Gaines of Muskogee High School and 6-4 Jeremy Hazell of Bronx, N.Y.

According to Brown, we have five scholarships for next year, and they will go to:

? King

? Gaines

? Hazell

? Sango

? Robinson

Plus, Liberty already has one from year before last. Add Spicer, Jordan, Moses, Yemi, Marchello, Caleb, and Ken and you've got 13. Isn't that the limit? But, if you want to get down-and-dirty, I can't imagine all these guard signings bode very well for smallish redshirt freshman Darren Jordan...

Sango is more of a 3 than a shooting guard. The kid is impressively athletic with a lightning quick first step. I spoke with a guy (non-ORU) form work with basketball experience who has watched Sango and he says the kid can play 'lock down' defense. He said with Liberty and Sango on the perimeter, other teams are going to have fits trying to score from the outside. He did say that Sango plays with such intensity that he will need to be rested.

Guest EagleBackr
I agree that we could use a bit more height, though we are trading Sean King (6'10") for Mickey Michalec (6'10") - a wash. We also lose 6'7" Larry Owens.... I guess we will replace him by committee. Jeremy Hazell (6'4") is supposed to have some of his athleticism and we will have Sylvester Spicer (6'6") available too.

It's starting to look like the coaches must be pretty high on Spicer. The way things stand right now, he's really going to be needed "down low" this season...

I know that we've talked about this ad nauseum, but with these commitments, doesn't it mean that we now have one scholarship unfilled?

At this point, is anyone aware of a player that we're trying to get to fill that spot?

It may be that they will hold one open for the time being, first, because they don't have anyone they're interested in at this point, and second, to spread out the timing of graduation a little bit. I guess we'll find out over the next couple of weeks.

An error in my thinking - I forgot that Andrew was non-scholarship this year.

Guess I haven't been reading the rest of this thread closely enough . . .

Regarding Spicer.... I spoke with someone yesterday who said the coaches are impressed with his toughness and nose for the ball. They think he will be an animal under the basket. I compare him to someone like Jarius Glenn from TU; same body type and height.

Rebounding is not always about height; it is also about technique and effort/desire. I saw this kid practice a few times last Fall and he certainly brings a toughness that we have not seen in a while. He was not afraid to bang with the big boys.

Guest darrenjj

Spicer is a very tough kid and will be able to play against most big guys ORU runs into and i don't think that they are done for this year. Between Hazell and Sango they should be fine at the 3.

Could this mean that we will probably see a transfer? Dummmm Duh Dum Dum...Dummmmm Duh Dum Dum DUUUMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!