how come larry owens

jmg1984

wasnt invited to the portmouth (va) invitational, he's a good all around player. isaw that kone and oppland were there. kone did well, he grabbed alot of rebounds and scored alot also

L.O. isn't worried about not getting invited. So I'm not worried. The Buzz around his name has given him and his family to believe he'll already be invited to some nba camps this summer.

Guest EagleBackr
wasnt invited to the portmouth (va) invitational, he's a good all around player. isaw that kone and oppland were there. kone did well, he grabbed alot of rebounds and scored alot also

I wondered the same thing. He's a better pro prospect than Oppland, and he's simply a better player than Kone. Saw several other names on the Portsmouth rosters that failed to impress me (Taj Gray being the foremost fraud among them). Why not "Lo"?

Oppland was likely chosen over Owens because he has had more of a career that Larry has...

Kone was chosen because he is a "true" center at just under seven feet. Unfortunately for Larry, a 6'6"-6'7" swingman (I'm not convinced that Larry can consistently shoot an NBA three-pointer) that doesn't have an outside game is probably not what the NBA is looking for.

Just my thoughts, and I could be proven wrong, but I think Larry doesn't have the complete game for the NBA (yet!!!). I somewhat compare him to Ron Howard...a very good Mid-Con player, but a game that is just not enough for the NBA simply because there are a lot of people that fit his mold.

Size is the only thing I can think of for Owens not being invited to Portsmouth. Where's he going to play? He doesn't handle the ball well enough for guard and he's not big enough for forward. He will get some looks, but it's going to be very difficult for him because of his size.

On this one I agree with Eaglebacker.

Oppland still has the ugliest shot I've ever seen and personnally Kone didn't live up to his hype. Owens stats this year were fantastic.

Time will tell the tale on all 3. I can see Oppland playing in Europe, but then they all could.

Guest EagleBackr

You Valpo guys CRACK ME UP!! RON HOWARD?!? Howard couldn't hold Larry's jock strap, much less defend him on the block!! Larry ATE HIM ALIVE in the Mid-Con semis - go back and look at the tape! It was a TOTAL MISMATCH!! Man, that's a CORKER!!

And as for Larry not being to handle the ball, you're just flat out WRONG. The second half of the season, Larry did a GREAT job bringing the ball up against pressure because NO ONE else in the league could guard him in the open court. He was our main option half the time - just as much as Bluitt, who often drew guys just as small and quick as he was. And when Larry got fouled doing that, he made his free throws! His only handicap bringing the ball up is sometimes in transition he's too aggressive going to the hole and charges, but that was a mandate from the coaches for him to be assertive. As for shooting the "3", he does need more reps, but that is fixable. He's got a pretty shot when he gets arch on it, kind of like Lebron James outside shot. At least when he shoots it, he doesn't wind the ball around his face in a loop like Oppland does!!

RON HOWARD!?! That STILL cracks me up!

I've stated many times how much of a fan of Larry Owens I am, but if you think he's a good ballhandler, good enough for the pro's, then you've been drinkin' the wrong kool-aid my friend. In a pro setting, he would not have a prayer.

As far as Kone and Oppland, Kone was one of the best two or three players at Portsmouth according to reports, and Dan played pretty well within his limitations. I don't know how they choose what guys to invite, but I think all of us VU people understand that Oppland will at best play in Europe. I think he knows that too...as far as Kone, I think you'll see him in the Developmental league for a season and see what happens. Remember, he's only been playing for 4 or 5 years. He still has a lot to learn. It took him all season to figure out the Mid-Con, so the pro learning curve he's up against is even bigger.

Guest darrenjj

Larry will probably have to pay over seas for 2 or 3 years and then we will see. Making 100,000 to 200,000 a year tax free is not bad. If Shawn King turns out to be as good as Kone was in the tourney ORU will definetly take that. Most say King is a better defensive player. He will block a ton of shots and with him and Liberty at point the defense should be better next year.

We need King to also be a credible offensive threat.... especially if Ogunoye is in the game. Otherwise teams will triple team Green. I see he scored 20+ points per game this year. Just not sure how they were scored.

I wonder how many of those were dunks, Terry.

Guest darrenjj

You will see quite a few more dunks from the passing ability of Liberty and the finishing ability of King. Hopefully Sango is a good finisher also.