Playing against the zone!

EasyTELGuy

Anyone care to opine on why our Golden Eagles don't have better set offenses against zones like USU threw at us last night?

When we zoned them last night, they had great cuts to the middle, to the hoop! They set great screens for themselves! What's to prevent us from getting that disciplined and strategic?

It's not that we're not athletic enough!!??!! :?

Guest EagleBackr

...when you don't practice against a great zone, it's hard to play against one! But if any of our opponents go to school on last night's game tape, we should get PLENTY of experience playing against a zone this season - by March, we should be experts!

We better be...or it may be quite the hard season!

I'm optimistic of us figuring it out - we've got a talented group of guys! Y'know, if you think of it...we don't face a LOT of teams with tough zones - that's something that's going to have to improve as our program is doing just that right before our very eyes! It's all part of the learning and growing process for a budding program like ORU on the mid-major and beyond scene!

We will see!!! :D

easy

USU was good.

WE were not.

When we play correctly, we will beat the zone.

Coach commented that they had prepared them to play the zone. USU was very disciplined. we were not. We could not hit shots. Ergo - we could not beat it. I know nothing about basketball and i could figure that out.

So, Isbig, if Tutt had made that last shot, or Mickey made the put back, we win. Would that have made a difference in the way you felt we played the game? If we'd have made a shot at the end, you would say:

USU was good.

We won.

We were ???

Great point tmh. I also have said that, if either one of them had hit their shot, we would have won an none of these ridiculous 10 loss predictions would be going on!

I would have said, we played good, one half, the other we did not play good.

no what if's Doc. We lost because we stunk the first half.

Look at our shooting percentages in the pre season play and then look at Saturday night. When you are looking at 50+%shooting in the preseason games and less than 30% Saturday night, obviously no one was playing up to their ability.

When Ken has an off night we feel it! When 2 starters foul out early, we feel it! There were a lot of things that weren't TYPICAL of the team. Let's see how the Alaska Shoot Out goes before we start throwing stones.

Larry hussled and no one just GAVE UP! Our coaches didn't look whipped, every one of them was on their feet or the edge of their seat.

well i think you have to look at the level of defense they were shooting against too, mom. UCO did not guard Ken and crew like Utah State did saturday night.

I think we're gonna be allright, though. I love the level of fight that i see some of the players starting to develop. It's something that only comes from playing with that older brother that just makes you tough. I we play with that heart we should really hand it to a lot of teams we play this year.

ORU should be able to beat the zone with their great shooters. I would work the ball to the left corner, sneak MM out to the high post to set a back pick and throw a skip pass to Tutt in the right wing. He will be wide open every time. When they cheat to cover that, you can throw an alley oop lob to Owens behind the zone. These plays in addition to normal zone offense. For a more visual explanation check out:

http://www.jes-basketball.com/animated/poffensezone2-1-2vs3-2zone.html

ash =o)

You think you have trouble against the Zone you should have watched Texas last nite. Goodness!! Could not get a guy to cut. Thank God they have some really quality big guys. I think Gibson had 9 turnovers and 1 assist!! That is great point guard. Hopefully shooters at ORU will do well this week in Alaska.

Any comments on the ZONE last night?

Yep. We actually made some outside shots.