Bracketology

praetorfenix86

I went to espn.com and looked and Joe Lunardi's 2007 bracketology. Of course naive little me assumes that the defending Mid-Con champions, who have the best player in the league returning, Caleb Green, as well as 2006 Mid-Con Tournament MVP, Ken Tutt, and the tournament in their backyard, would be the odds on favorite to win the Mid-Con. Yet who do I see on the sixteen seed line? IUPUI?!?!?!?!?

Can someone please explain this to me?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Wouldn't seem to make sense to me either, but from that perspective...

IUPUI had the regular season won before their meltdown at the end, and just because Caleb is back, there are still SIX seniors for both teams graduating...the exception is that there are only two for IUPUI who made any sort of contribution to speak of, and only one starter...

ORU loses three starters and a key reserve...big difference in what comes back...

Just my thoughts...I still have Centenary running through undefeated next year...

You are expecting logic from Lunardi????? :lol::lol::lol:

Stl VU Fan has a very very good point! Lunardi didn't do well at all picking this years teams to make it, and he has degrees in bracketology and bracketometry.

I love it when you see Lunardi on Sportscenter and he calls himself "Joe Lunardi, ESPN bracketologist" as if that is a real profession. Like if he was filling out a form and it asked for profession he would write: Bracketologist

In the world of ESPN a bracketologist is a real profession. Little things like that is what makes their network the greatest thing since sliced bread for a sports fan.

Actually, Lunardi only missed on 4 teams this year according to the show I saw on ESPN with him on the panel. They also said that it was the "worst" he has ever been. I think you might be overreacting just a little bit. His history indicates he's really pretty good at this stuff. He also changes his predictions as the season goes along, as he will this year. Maybe he feels as I do that you will miss Larry Owens more than you think. He was a one of a kind player in the Mid-Con. None of us had anyone like him and he really seperated you from everyone else in my opinion. Replacing his all around play will be a very hard task, especially on defense.

All the more reason for 6'7 Marchello and 6'7 Yemi to step into their own next year. You'll get to know these guys a lot more if you're just a casual fan of ORU. Also there could be another L.O. prototype in the works with the coaches at the JUCO Nationals.

Guest EagleBackr

...ranking IUPUI first is fine with me - go ahead and put Valpo up there, too. Better the hunter than the hunted. Would be a nice change of pace to play without a big bullseye on our backs for a change...

Actually, Lunardi only missed on 4 teams this year according to the show I saw on ESPN with him on the panel. They also said that it was the "worst" he has ever been. I think you might be overreacting just a little bit. His history indicates he's really pretty good at this stuff. He also changes his predictions as the season goes along, as he will this year.

Well there are only about 8 teams that are actually on the bubble come time for Selection Sunday so I would say that missing 50% of the teams that will get in is pretty bad. It was definitely not a good year for him.

I guess he is like a weather person if he changes his predictions as the season goes along. It is similar to a player in the paint and the refs aren't calling 3 seconds, if you put up enough shots, you should make some :wink: .

But the four that he missed are on his final prediction, the one that he makes Sunday afternoon, after all the one bid conferences are decided.

Guest EagleBackr

I don't know how good his bracket predictions are, but he apparantly is well-connected with the committee: he was one of the first to predict that ORU would be a #16 playing a #1 Memphis in Dallas, and stuck with that right to the end...