Another Local Job Opening...

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

...add another nearby school to the Scott Sutton Watch:

SMU relieves Tubbs

05:12 PM CDT on Thursday, April 6, 2006

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

SMU has parted ways with men's basketball coach Jimmy Tubbs after just two seasons, according to sources on campus.

In a 35-minute meeting Thursday afternoon with players at Moody Coliseum, Tubbs informed his team that he had been fired. Freshman center Bamba Fall said, "I'm hurt," but added Tubbs "took it like a man."

After leaving the meeting, Tubbs declined comment.

In the midst of an ongoing NCAA investigation and a transition to a new athletic director, SMU will be forced to look for a new coach for the second time since 2004.

Tubbs was 27-30 in two seasons at SMU, including 13-16 this season. Before being hired to replace Mike Dement in March 2004, he had served 12 seasons as an assistant to John Shumate and Dement before working two years under Kelvin Sampson at Oklahoma.

i doubt Scott would want to go somewhere that's under NCAA investigation but that's only my guess.

I think Scott Sutton can do better than SMU.

Yes...way.

I think Scott Sutton can do better than SMU.

I agree, maybe someplace like Oral Roberts in Tulsa. I think that would be a good place to coach. :lol:

Guest EagleBackr

OK, then, answer this:

? Couldn't SMU probably double or even triple his current salary?

? Isn't Highland Park in Dallas a pretty nice place to have a home?

? Wouldn't it be easier to recruit the MetroPlex, already one of his specialties?

? Wouldn't SMU have pretty realistic (low) expectations?

? If they won their regular season AND conference tournament, do you think SMU would get a #16 Seed?

? Let's say both teams finish 2nd or 3rd in their respective leagues and lose in their conference championship game. Who would stand a better chance at an NCAA at-large bid: a 24-7 SMU, or a 24-7 ORU?

? Let's say those same two teams lose in the first round of their conference tournaments. Who would stand a better chance at an NIT bid: a 21-8 SMU, or a 21-8 ORU?

Guys, I love ORU too, but let's get real - SMU may not be a great job, but it's a better job than ORU...

I don't think I ever said that ORU was a better job that SMU.

I'm just saying that if Scott Sutton holds on, he could get a job in a major conference.

Guest EagleBackr
SMU would be an adequate step up. Not a BIG step, but if they threw enough cash at me, I'd go.

Amen. I don't see any reason why SMU, with the right guy, couldn't become the same type of situation as Tulsa, Houston, Saint Louis, Memphis or any other number of good, private, mid-major schools in major metropolitan areas in the South and Southwest...

I haven't put a lot of thought into this, but what would happen to ORU if Sutton did go to SMU? Would Ken Tutt want to sit out a year so he could play his senior season back home? I don't even want to think about this because it is giving me a headache. I hope Sutton holds out for a big time job.

SMU could be a nice job.... good money in a nice city. The facilities are a bit run down and the administration does not give a lot of support to the program. Neither does the local media. Hard to make any splash in the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex when you are competing against the Mavericks, Cowboys, Stars, Longhorns and Aggies. It is obviously a step up from ORU in several ways, but could be a pile of quicksand if you don't win. Not sure what recruiting restrictions they place on the program given their sensitivity about infractions.

It is a nice school in a nice area though.... No where to go but up.

Seems Sutton is certainly more qualified for a big job after this last year than VCU's Jeff Capel.

Guest darrenjj

Very tough job. No support from fans or faculty and cannot get the Dallas area players to even look at SMU. That is the reason that they hired Tubbs and he was not able to get the kids either. Tough spot and i don't think that would be a good jump for Scott. Big chance to fail.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EagleBackr

...if this is true, it's a great hire for SMU:

Sources: SMU offers coaching job to Doherty

12:36 PM CDT on Friday, April 21, 2006

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

SMU officials have offered the men's basketball job to Florida Atlantic coach Matt Doherty, sources say. Doherty is contemplating taking the position and is talking with his staff in Boca Raton, Fla. and people familiar with SMU.

Doherty was picked by SMU officials over former Arizona State and Mississippi coach Rob Evans. Both coaches interviewed with SMU incoming athletic director Steve Orsini this week.

Doherty and Orsini weren't available for comment.

If Doherty declines the job, SMU would then focus on Evans.

The SMU vacancy occurred when Jimmy Tubbs was fired in early April.

Doherty and SMU officials were talking about terms of a contract and certain changes that need to be made within the basketball program.

SMU officials would like to renovate aging Moody Coliseum and add a practice facility. SMU has raised close to $4 million for the project and needs a total of $12 million to complete it.

On Thursday, SMU president Gerald Turner said he hopes to have a new coach hired by next week.

Doherty and several other coaches who talked to SMU about the job expressed concern about the ongoing NCAA investigation. Retiring SMU athletic director Jim Copeland is handling the investigation with the NCAA.

SMU has completed its investigation into potential rules violations committed by Tubbs. Turner said recently the NCAA is examining the schools findings.

Matt Doherty's coaching resume includes stops at Notre Dame, North Carolina and Florida Atlantic.

Doherty coached at Florida Atlantic one season, after being away from the game for nearly three seasons. Doherty coached at Notre Dame (1999-2000) and North Carolina (2000-03) prior to Florida Atlantic.

He was away from the game for a few years and he worked at ESPN and CSTV before landing the Florida Atlantic job in April 2005.

Doherty led his team to a 15-13 finish. In five seasons as a head coach, Doherty has had only one losing season.

The offer to Doherty was somewhat of a surprise because Evans was a teammate of Turner's at Lubbock Christian. When Turner was the president at Ole Miss he hired Evans.

But Orsini wanted to make a splash with his new hire and Doherty with his North Carolina and Notre Dame roots appears to be it.

ESPN is reporting that sources say Matt D has taken the job.