2006-2007 Starting 5

NYC Golden Eagle

Is it too soon to talk about next year's starting 5?

My prediction is:

PG- Adam Liberty

SG- Ken Tutt

SF- Marchello Vealy

PF- Caleb Green

C - Sean King

I agree with your projected 5, NYC. Depending on how Hazel comes in and performs will be the factor if he starts over Chello. I think that LO's sucess on the wing has given the coaches that aquired taste for a long wing player. Marchello fits the bill. Let's hope he continues to improve this summer. I might be starting to miss that 6'8 kid from AZ.

I think that three of the positions are set:

point guard: Adam Liberty - he started and played all 30+ games for Wichita State his sophomore year; the coaches are enthusiastic about his ball handling and passing skills. Not sure about his shooting abilities - but that is not what his focus will be. He is also said to be a very good defensive player. At 6'2" he is the tallest point guard than we have had since McClellen. The interesting question will be who his backup will be. Hopefully Daren Jordan has developed into a quality backup point guard. We could possibly see Gaines play in this position if he does not red-shirt.

power forward: Caleb Green - we are going to miss this kid when he graduates. It will be interesting to see what changes we might see in his game during his senior year. He seems to get better each year, but has stayed unselfish.

shooting guard: Ken Tutt - found his shooting touch after comng back off a foot injury late in the year. I contnue to wonder if his foot was bothering him before the break occurred. Ken's outside shooting is an important feature to compliment Caleb Green's inside play. Tutt needs to work on his ball handling. It would be nice for us to utilize more screens in order to get Tutt open - especially against taller lineups.

The small foward and center positions appear to be up in the air. I agree with the thought that Sean King should step in to fill the center position, but it is hard to be sure about this as we have not seen him play. It appears that he will be more athletic than Mickey, but not provide as much bulk. From his blocking stats and quotes from his coach, King appears to be a defensive-minded player - ala Kendrick Moore. Having a shot blocker in the middle can allow our perimeter players to 'cheat' a bit knowng that there is someone who can compensate. A shot blocker can get in foul trouble though...

I would like to see Marchello Vealy on the floor as a small forward. He has the ability to play with his back to the basket or face up and make jump shots. He needs to work on his defense and add some weight to compete down low. He is very athletic and could be a dominant player when he gets more comfortable on the court. We saw flashes of this during the season - especially during the Memphis game.

I expect that the Center and Small Forward positions will be filled on a 'committee' or platoon basis. We have several players besides King and Vealy who can step in:

Center: Ogunoye, Vealy and even Spicer can also play center

Small Forward: Ogunoye, Ehambe, Hazell and Spicer can play small foward.

I agree with NYC about the starting five, at least at the beginning of the year. Hazell is coming from high school so that will be an adjustment. Moses just keeps getting better. So depending on how they start the season we could really have a shooting guard by committee. If Yemi and Chello learn to play offense we could have an extremely dangerous frontcourt. Those five should start the regular season, but when game time rolls there is no telling who could step up and earn some playing time.

Jeremy Hazell is really coming from prep school.... and a very good prep school. It was more like a junior college situation. I still think he will have some transition to D-1 basketball. It's interesting that Sutton has said he thinks that Hazell could come in and 'contribute' immediately. Not sure I have heard him say that about many players.

Guest EagleBackr

Tutt, Green and Liberty are no-brainers. The other two starting spots will probably be filled on a non-conference game-by-game basis from the trio of Yemi, Marchello and Shawn King. But don't be surprised if Yemi is consistantly one of the two from that group in the starting line-up - the coaches love his experience, his length, and his defense....

Forgot about Yemi. I don't see why he couldn't start. He started for a while when Ken Tutt was out. If he could get a lil more confortable with his offensive game then he would be good stuff. Marchello is a lil more offensively potent and will also have experience. He just needs to work on his defense.

Ehambe has shown athleticism and shooting touch, but not a consistent basketball presence or awareness. He seems to get lost on defense at times and plays a bit helter-skelter. I think we will need Moses on the wing - and his shooting touch. He just needs to apply himself on the defensive side of the court. We will see special things from Ehambe before he leaves the program.

He is also a fine young man... I have spoken with him briefly a couple of times and he is well spoken.

yeah i want the best player on the court at tip-off but i'm a little bias towards him because my brother has told me what a quality guy he is, though i've never met him face to face. I hope to see him become an integral part of the team in some capacity

Just have to say " HOW ABOUT THEM GATORS!! Being from the Sunshine State it was good to see them win. I could't help wondering if Coach Sutton was taking lessons from Billy D. changing the defense almost everytime down the floor. We get excited if we go from man to man to a zone. What a coach. :wink:

It would be nice for us to utilize more screens in order to get Tutt open - especially against taller lineups.

Living in Dallas I don't get to see too many games like you guys do but I was thinking the exact same thing in the Memphis game. If we set a screen in that game I missed it.

Do we ever run the pick and roll? Seems like we have a forward who may be pretty good at rolling off of that pick.

I might be starting to miss that 6'8 kid from AZ.

There's no doubt that Larry leaves some big shoes to fill. I'm predicting that Vealy will the LO of the next 3 years.

Do we ever run the pick and roll? Seems like we have a forward who may be pretty good at rolling off of that pick.

I would love to see some isolation with Ken and Caleb running the pick and roll. I can't figure out why we don't do that.

There's no doubt that Larry leaves some big shoes to fill. I'm predicting that Vealy will the LO of the next 3 years.

I was actually referring to that prep kid we had gotten a verbal from earlier in the year. The one that AZ Preps Rivals site reported was left hanging by our coaching staff come signing day. Hind sight can be 20/20. But I guess it's too soon to starting analyzing the recruiting class yet. We've still got a few more weeks left to see if we can capitalize on our tounament appearance. Where is Sango? I need to give him some money :P

I totally agree.... most teams would have difficulty adapting to the pick-and-roll. Stockton and Malone made a career out it.

I totally agree....

Yes! Terry, agrees with me giving Sango some incentives! :lol: