Sports Animal - now on FM 97.1

ORUTerry

The Sports Animal changes to an FM signal - 97.1 on April 3rd (Monday). Their signal strength (100 watts) makes them a substantial competitor to am1430. I hope the ORU Athletic Department is talking with them about moving our broadcasts. I would assume that OSU is also.

I have been waiting for them to move for a while this is a good day. I've had so much trouble trying to get their signal, time to fix the presets in the car.

WHOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great day for the city of Tulsa. ORU fans, let's all call in and show our support for the animal!

When it didn't happen over the weekend I was beginning to think it was an April Fools. The fact that it actually moved is a relief. Now I can switch between the two and never listen to commercials again. Bwahahahaha :twisted:

LOL...vcboy no offense but you made me laugh...that kinda stuff is why people up here in Chicago call me Small Town cause I went to college in a town where things like the AM sports channel being switched to the FM dial is a 'great day for the city.'

Haha =)

Hehehe. Well it is a great day in the city if you're a sports fan. No more Clear Channel propoganda funneling through while i'm trying to get sports updates and highlights. And the morning show people actually talk about sports!

If you guys are getting the feed from OKC, don't bother calling about ORU. The Morning Animals and Al Eshbach probably can't spell ORU or find Tulsa on a map. You might have a chance with Jim Traber because he's an OSU guy and a Christian.

Well they have done a whole lot better at giving us props than the Buzz. They had extended segments talking about ORU starting back when we beat Tulsa a few years back and do so every year when the Mayor's Cup rolls around. Also when we went to the tournament this year we got way more love from those guys than The Buzz. All Plank could talk about was how he was upset with how Tulsa performed in CUSA! We were a sidebar for those guys. I wish Scott hadn't even given them an interview.

It's allready getting better! Chris Belvin was a host with the afternoon sports show on the Sports Animal this afternoon. He talked about the Mid-Con Tourney in Tulsa and the number for this year vs. last year. I enjoyed hearing his input throughout the show. I didn't know he was an OSU grad either. He said he would be cheering for us tonight though.

I didn't hear Chris Belvin, but I did hear Scott Higgins (Associate Athletic Director) co-hosting with Al Jerkins around 1:30 or so. Scott is a former sports director at Channel 6 and has a good relationship with the local media. I hope the station continues to have Scott on the show periodically. It will certainly help our visability.

It also helps if we call into the show and generate talk.... I did my part this afternoon :lol:

Yeah, that's him. Chris Belvin...Scott Higgins..whomever. They're all the same guy. :lol:

I wanted to call in but I didn't get the number until the end of my lunch break. I've got it programmed just ahead of the Buzz's number now.

The station comes in great in my car, but I still cannot find it on my office radio. The surrounding stations seem to 'bleed' over the signal. I office in the BOK Tower so it may be interference from the downtown buildings - or it might be my radio.

I was listening today around lunchtime for about 15 minutes and all they did was talk about ORU baseball. It might have just been that a caller had called in to talk about it, but they chatted with him for a long time. Although the guy was saying it was time to oust Rob Walton and the 2 hosts defended Walton saying they had 11 players graduate and we are in a rebuilding mode. I hope they don't talk about Nascar and hockey as much as the buzz did, I was getting really tired of hearing about them soooooooooo much.

Guest Mount Baldy

I've found that the 97.1 signal can be scratchy or even drop out in some parts of town. If ORU goes to 97.1, I hope the games are easy to hear. The Buzz may not give us love but it does have a solid signal. Anybody else have reception problems with 97.1?

So far the 97.1 reception has a lot of intermittent static in Tulsa which makes it difficult to listen to. I listen to AM 1550 instead during the day.

So, unless that changes, I would hope that ORU would stay on AM 1430, because it is the only sports station in town with a consistently strong signal.

I am disappointed with the quality of the 97.1 signal, but I do agree that Al Jerkens gives ORU a lot of attention.

I have also noticed that there was an increase in ORU basketball talk on the 2-6 afternoon buzz show during this past season, as compared to previous years. Of course, I would still like to hear more of that and less of NASCAR.

I have had zero problems with reception from 97.1. Comes in great!