More OU Job Musings...

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

1. What about Norm Roberts for the OU job? Young, personable, African-American, knows the Big XII and the state from his days on Bill Self's staff at TU and Kansas. To hire away a head coach from a Big East school would be quite a coup for OU. And while Roberts is a New York native, he must be wondering by now what it's going to take to ever get St. John's back to the elite of the brutal Big East. The Big XII might be looking pretty sweet right now, and you have to believe the money would be better at OU.

2. Is Mark Turgeon doomed for the OU job because of the Gene Stephenson/baseball snafu? Would Joe C. risk going back to the Wichita State well again?

3. But if it is Turgeon, how long before Mike Carter gets a call from the Shocker search committee asking for permission to talk to Scott Sutton?

4. And when that call comes, will Scott Sutton already be in a car headed north on I-35?

5. Let's say you're a McDonald's All-American being recruited by North Carolina, Duke, Michigan State, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, UCLA and Memphis. Where would you want to go to school, what style would you want to play, and who would you want to play for? WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW KELVIN SAMPSON AT INDIANA IS EVEN IN THE RUNNING FOR THAT KID?? To go play for a demanding coach with a boring style at a school that hasn't evan been able to attract the best players in it's own state the last decade? And Kelvin has RARELY signed the top-rung prep recruits - has been increasingly dependant on juco's the last few years. How's that gonna play in Bloomington? Fellas, it is NOT 1976 anymore, and this is NOT the second coming of Bobby Knight. Write it down - Indiana is the new Iowa...

The Sampson hire is hard to figure on several counts....Why would Indiana go after a coach that is involved in an ongoing NCAA investigation? It would seem that the infractions are somewhat minor - except the NCAA has requested an audience with Oklahoma to discuss the investigation further. I would think that Indiana inquired about this to the NCAA - if that is possible. What happens if the NCAA imposes sanctions not just on OU, but also on Sampson? After all, he did make some of the calls himself.

EB brings up the other issue: Sampson's style of basketball fits with the Big 10 but is not an attraction to players who want to move up and down the court. He has never shown himself to be a great recruiter - lots of his players are JC kids. Players have left the program in a steady stream, indicating that his tough style of coaching wears thin with his players.

This is not a slam on Kelvin Sampson.... I think he is a good coach and seems to be a decent guy. I appreciate the fact that he has scheduled ORU over the last several years.

Guest Rob Marshall

3. But if it is Turgeon, how long before Mike Carter gets a call from the Shocker search committee asking for permission to talk to Scott Sutton?

4. And when that call comes, will Scott Sutton already be in a car headed north on I-35?

Turgeon will be considered by Joe C., primarily because that's apples and oranges to compare GS to MT. GS built HIS program and has been in Wichita for nearly 30 years. MT is arguably the hot, young, up & coming next great thing out there right now. Turg will get consideration at OU.

Wichita will IMMEDIATELY (quicker than ORU hired Hinson when Self bolted for TU) hire their associate head coach Tad Boyle if/when Turg leaves for greener pastures. Thus, no call to MC asking for permission to interview Scott.

EagleBackr wrote

Let's say you're a McDonald's All-American being recruited by North Carolina, Duke, Michigan State, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, UCLA and Memphis. Where would you want to go to school, what style would you want to play, and who would you want to play for? WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW KELVIN SAMPSON AT INDIANA IS EVEN IN THE RUNNING FOR THAT KID??

Have you seen OU's recruiting class this year? Scottie Reynolds a McDonalds All American and Damion James a 6 star recruit from Texas both signed with OU for Kelvin I dont understand where you are coming from. All together he has a top 5 class this year. Kelvin has always signed top notch guys not to mention he is probably one of the best JUCO recruiters in the nation (Taj Gray, Ebi Ere, Aaron McGhee) I think he will recruit fine in Indiana

Guest EagleBackr
Have you seen OU's recruiting class this year? Scottie Reynolds a McDonalds All American and Damion James a 6 star recruit from Texas both signed with OU for Kelvin I dont understand where you are coming from. All together he has a top 5 class this year. Kelvin has always signed top notch guys not to mention he is probably one of the best JUCO recruiters in the nation (Taj Gray, Ebi Ere, Aaron McGhee) I think he will recruit fine in Indiana

Last I heard, both of those guys were going to have serious trouble qualifying grade-wise. Kelvin's recruiting has ALWAYS seemed a little frantic - guys who don't qualify, guys who don't stick around or are run off, juco guys who never seem to be as good as advertised, not very many high schoolers, etc. It all boils down to no CONTINUITY - seems like OU basketball was in a constant state of RELOADING. I just don't think that's going to play well in Indiana - they seem to prefer a less melodramatic way of building a team year in and year out...

Do you think he sticks with the blue denim shirt?

From an ORU perspective, we could not have asked for a better situation. Kelvin scheduled us (never at the Mabee Center though) and always had kind words to say about our team. It will be interesting to see if the new coach is as accomodating.