Sutton Interviewed?

vcboy2000

There is a thread on the OU board that says ESPN radio announced that Scott Sutton was contacted by OU officials last night for an interview this week. I think it's a joke from some of their detractors, but not sure. Here is the link: http://oklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=28&tid=71478179&sid=&style=2

I know Pitino went to Louisville and Johnny Damon defected to the Yankees but c'mon...Sutton a Sooner? ESPN would love that but I think there's too much orange in the Sutton blood.

Guest EagleBackr

I went to a couple of OU-Texas games during the Gary Gibbs era, and guess who the Sooner faithful blamed for the losses as they exited the Cotton Bowl? "That stupid Aggie offensive coordinator of ours!" (Larry Coker, who was guilty of having previously served in a similar capacity under Pat Jones at OSU). Can you imagine what they would be yelling if the Sooners under Scott Sutton lost 3 or 4 in a row? Dave Bliss has a better chance of getting hired at OU than ANYONE with OSU connections (and, yes, that INCLUDES Bill Self).

Oklahoma will NEVER hire some closely associated with Oklahoma State.... especially with the name Sutton.

The consternation caused if the OSU-related coach either won (beholden to OSU??) - or lost - would be too much for the Sooner nation to handle

How about Tubby Smith? Not quite as far-fetched as it sounds.... reports say that the Kentucky crowd has worn on Tubby and he is burned out. (I have met a few Wildcat fans and could not believe the amount of invective that they exhibited towards Tubby Smith - and this was a year after he won the national championship.) Both he and his wife look back fondly at their time in Oklahoma. I know it was Tulsa and not OKC, but maybe he is ready to gear down a bit.

I don't think it will happen (big step down in prestige and money) but interesting to consider. I suspect Tubby would rather go to the NBA if he leaves Kentucky.

The Big 12 would be loaded on the Coaching front if he went though.

OSU: Eddie Sutton

TTU: Bob Knight

OU: Tubby Smith

KU: Bill Self

KSU: Bob Huggins

There is a lot of talk about Dana Altman of Creighton being a possible replacement for Kelvin Sampson at Oklahoma. If that is the case, expect Sutton's name to be one of the top candidates given the family heritage with that school. (His father, Eddie Sutton, was coach in the early 1970's)

Losing Coach Sutton would be bad, but if ORU is having success we should expect to have coaching turnover. So in a way, we should embrace the fact that ORU might have a revolving door in the coach's position.... it means the Golden Eagles are doing well. That said, who do you think we would look to for a replacement?

I suspect that we would look at the current staff (Hankins or Williams) to fill any vacancy. That has been the M.O. since Self left (Hinson and Sutton). I assume that both Hankins or Williams would be interested in the job. I wonder if Hankins would consider moving with Sutton given the close family connections (they are married to sisters)?

Probable Candidates:

Tom Hankins - knowledgeable of the program/continuity; good fit for the university; said to be a good bench coach

Corey Williams - knowledgeable of the program/continuity; good fit for the university/good communicator of the vision; great recruiter/history with OSU & NBA a great plus; unknown coaching ability

Bob Hoffman - current assitant/interim coach at OU; former head coach at TX-PanAm and Oklahoma Baptist; good fit for the university; well-regarded

What do you think?

Guest Mount Baldy

Hoffman was interviewed when Sutton was hired. Now he's too close to NCAA problems at OU. No way he'd end up at ORU.

How about Eddie? He could remove the Designate from Sean's title and after all we are the school of second chances! :lol:

Guest EagleBackr
How about Eddie? He could remove the Designate from Sean's title and after all we are the school of second chances! :lol:

Don't laugh. John Klein of the Tulsa World said in an interview on The Sports Animal in Oklahoma City that if Scott were to leave ORU in the next year or two, and Eddie were unable to return to OSU because of his legal problems, that Eddie would DEFINITELY replace Scott at ORU. He was pretty adament about it...

If Tubby Smith left Kentucky for OU would that make OU a "top 5 program" or remove KU from the list? Just curious :lol:

I would say no. It takes more than a coach and even 1 successful year to be considered a Top 5 program. I think you have to have a combination of the two among other things. Consistent post season success with an occasional Championship trophy is the biggest indicator of what makes a program a Top 5.

Florida has a great coach, great players, and very bright future. I wouldn't consider them to be a top 5 program yet though. Louisville would be another example to look. Great school, great coach, solid recruits but not enough post season success to be a Top 5.

The following are all considered Top Programs because they consistently play for championships and win.

North Carolina

Duke

UConn

Kentucky

Oral Roberts (syke)

With that said I don't think UCLA is back to being a top program because they made it back to the national championship game. If they make it back in the next 3-5 years, then possibly, but not now. Same for IU. Just my take. Let's hear others.