USD at ORU

theeagleman5

I enjoyed seeing ORU play well as a team Saturday night.  When ORU is hot from 3 point range we can hang with anyone in the Summit League.

At times the defense looked pretty solid and at other times it didn’t.  We did manage to get several of their key players in foul trouble toward the end of the 2nd half.

The main key to the game was when our 18 point lead had dwindled to 5 points and we had 2 straight possessions scoring 3 points each (1 2-pointer plus a FT and 1 3-pointer) sandwiched around a defensive stop that pushed our lead back to 11 points.  

When we really needed to we weathered the storm and stepped up.  Lacis played a lot due to Lufile’s absence and did fairly well.

As mentioned earlier, it is very impressive to run the fast paced offense for nearly the entire game and only have 3 turnovers.  That was the 2nd key to this game.

The way they played reminded me a little of our old "Run and Gun" style. I think we surprised USD with our speedy passes and all-around quick moves. I haven't seen the team move this fast all season. It was refreshing!

Missed this game, but viewed it via ESPN plus on Monday. 

We had good ball movement and took good shots - especially in the first half.  More of this please. 

We also played decent defense at times. 

Guys made shots - which is always helpful. 

The refs were absolutely terrible. Almost as bad as the SD coach. What a whiner. Why did the refs allow him to do that all game? And they seemingly rewarded him. They called touch fouls on us and allowed them to mug us. I expect that (somewhat) on the road - but not at home. Go back and see the KO alley oop basket near the end of the first half. The SD player clearly hits him in the head/face - no call. And then in the 2nd half, the SD coach have the refs go to the monitor to look for a nonexistent foul to the head. 

I agree ORUTerry about the refs.  They had some phantom calls against USD too, but the majority of bad calls were touch fouls against ORU on defense while USD was able to foul Nzekwesi and Obanor fairly consistently without a call.

However, in the 2nd half, they started calling fouls almost every time USD drove to the basket.  After a few possessions ORU started to adjust and drive to the basket and we benefited from a few calls then as a result.

Overall there was poor and inconsistent officiating throughout most of the game.  I am so used to it in the Summit League that I have stopped mentioning it in posts because I either sound like a whiner or I sound biased toward the home team.

I have to imagine that it drives the coaching staff almost crazy.

Officiating in the Summit is notoriously bad for Saturday games, when the supply/demand factor leaves the Summit with the proverbial bottom of the barrel.