ORU vs. Omaha

ORUTerry

ORU takes on the Omaha Mavericks tonight at 7:00. The Mavs are 8-0 at home and 1-7 on the road.  ORU will need to regroup and play well to get a win on the road. Obviously the Golden Eagles need to figure out what went wrong on defense and fix it. And they need to move and make shots on offense. It will be curious to see what lineups we see employed. Big test for players and coaches. 

ORU really needs a win tonight to get back on track...hard to contend for the Summit title if we start 0-2 and have NDSU on the horizon...the problem is what was mentioned above....Omaha is 8-0 at home.....and their last game was a victory over SDSU who just routed us.....the Mavs are a 1.5 point favorite....my heart wants to pick ORU but my head says Omaha......TheEagleman is on the fence.....but after the debacle in Brookings and the difficulty of winning on the road against a team unbeaten at home...well.....I can't go against the odds....Omaha 85  ORU 80.....😧

Coach Mills record is 19-49 against D1 teams but 4-0 verses Omaha. ORU's bigs have dominated Omaha the last two years.  Need that trend to continue.  Let Lufile have his minutes and his way against a guard heavy Omaha team. Last team to beat the Mavericks on the road was the Golden Eagles almost one year ago.

$$$ must have come in on the Eagles, as the line shifts from Omaha -1.5 to ORU -1.   I don’t know what Vegas knows, but I like it!

Shot only 37% in the first half, yet lead by 8 thanks to rebounding and sloppy ball handling by the Mavs.  I’m not impressed with the Zebras - several questionable calls both ways - which means that the second half could be an interesting one.  Typical Saturday night officiating in the Summit.  

I am showing a 41 to 30 halftime lead. (Edit:  correct score is 41 to 33) ORU finished a 17-3 run to end the half. 

We need to finish strong. 

ORU got the 1st half that they needed after laying an egg the other night....the question now, can they finish it off and get the win?

50 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

ORU got the 1st half that they needed after laying an egg the other night....the question now, can they finish it off and get the win?

Nope....Nice 2nd half! Same old crap, and that’s saying it nicely.

Tut averages 5 going in and puts up 17,

Ruffin averages 4 going in and puts in 15....

cant wait to hear this post game radio show!

It’s pretty difficult to have TWO players with double-doubles, out rebound your opponents by 11, and lose.  But when you have a team of shooters and not makers, that’s what happens.  

• Upvote 1

I'm not qualified to judge as I haven't coached at any level but our offense seems terribly anemic. It appears to be a variation of the same two plays everytime we cross halfcourt. What's more frusterating is that only two guys seem to be moving at any given time. The other three stand there and don't force the defense to adjust. Our bigs will set a pick and then flare out (which has worked to some degree) or get in position to catch the ball on the block but rarely are they rolling to catch the ball on the move going to the basket. I really think this team has more talent then we have seen at ORU in 5 years but our execution is just so sub-par. Mills has shown he can recruit but we have to get the X's and O's down and value defense otherwise this will continue to happen. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

Was certainly hopeful for a better outcome, but sadly, not surprised.  Looks like another mediocre season for our Eagles.  SMH  

Defense was better tonight and Omaha hit some tough shots. The Golden Eagles really struggled the last two minutes: getting outscored 6-0 and turning the ball over 3 times. You are not going to win close games playing like that. Similar to what we saw against OSU and BYU. Hopefully they can get it together at home next week. 

Very disappointing....Boooooooo!!!😕

Well, so much for the split on the road to start conference play......It's gonna be hard to convince me otherwise that next Thursday's game against NDSU is not a MUST win only one week into conference play.

With both North Dakotas at home and then at Western, I could see ORU winning all three and getting back into the conference mix, BUT, if ORU loses to NDSU and goes 3 games back right out of the gate, might as well plan on playing on the first day of the conference tourney.....just my opinion.....

15 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

It appears to be a variation of the same two plays everytime we cross halfcourt. What's more frusterating is that only two guys seem to be moving at any given time. The other three stand there and don't force the defense to adjust.

You can scout ORU in about 5 minutes.

A three man weave up top and maybe an entry pass from the wing to the high block. No screens for shooters or motion. Defenders can just stay home and rest.

• Upvote 1