After One Game ...

Guest Rob Marshall

Yeah everything I've seen projects us as #14...doesn't really matter who they project us against because they're unlikely to get that right, but until we win some games like USC, OU/Minnesota, Bracket Buster, and the rematch with USU we'll be thought of as a 14 seed at best if we make the tourney.

Ya know Blue...I mentioned that I wanted you to share your thoughts more in another thread and it seems like you're doing that...however, I've reconsidered and I think you need to pipe down.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EagleBackr

...just had to bump this one back to the top of the board. Why? Because I've gotten them all CORRECT so far, that's why! BEING RIGHT ALL THE TIME IS FUN!!! 8)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob Marshall
With arguably the toughest THIRTEEN (13) non-conference games (including the ESPN Bracket Buster game scheduled for 02.18.06) schedule in the Scott Sutton era ... hope I'm wrong, but I'm going with the conservative 7-6 projection in non-conference play.

If I am close to correct, would you consider these results a successful season for the ORU men's basketball team?

Dr. EB, your picks are solid with one exception (home loss to Missouri State), so I decided to bump this thread and give you some props; so, well done pard! 8)

My intention when I started this thread was to point out this season's non-conference schedule as the most challenging to date in the Scott Sutton era of ORU basketball, and therefore a less-than-steller non-conference record might very well be the result. All the hype and arguably too high of expectations for this team going into the season have MOST ORU fans feeling like they were unexpectedly just hit in the mouth.

Frankly, I think this team is right on track with where it should be, which means the Golden Eagles will have won 19-21 games going into the Mid Con Tournament at the UMAC at the end of the regular season and they will be the favorite to win three there and represent the league in the field of 65 with 22ish wins under their belt.

So again I will ask the question, would you consider 22 wins and an NCAA tournament appearance a successful season EVEN with perhaps as bad as a 5-8 non-conference record?

Absolutely - we win 22 and earn a trip to the Big Dance, and we should all be ecstatic! (I know this fan would be)

The problem for now is... we're losing confidence in believing that this scenario will be a reality... March is a long way away - and if we get healthy and peak at the right time, this team can still make some noise. We all need to "keep the faith"!

Guest Rob Marshall

Exactly my point Blue82!!! Like I said, MOST ORU fans feel as though they have been unexpectedly hit in the mouth and they really shouldn't be so "shocked" given the challenging schedule this team has played (and will be playing over the next two weeks).

Talking injuries is moot as MOST teams at some point have to deal with injuries and those that do have to play through them regardless. Even if this team were perfectly healthy, they would still be where they are from a record standpoint at this point.

ORU will be there in March and losing games right now really has nothing to do with how well they will do in the Mid Con. Much better to get hot in league play (especially in February) when you're on the home stretch toward post-season play rather than in December when the W's and L's in these games won't be remembered if we're 22-11 and represented the Mid Con in the NCAA tournament at the end of the season.

For me, my expectations/hopes for the team as we began the year were for the following to occur (in order of importance):

1. Win (at least) one NCAA tourney game

2. Win the Mid-Con tourney

3. Gain national recognition (such as top 25 ranking, reach the Sweet 16, etc.)

4. Win the Mid-Con regular season

5. Win 22+ games

The fact is... despite all of the frustrations of the season so far, NONE of these goals are out of reach. Am I less confident that any of these goals will be met (now vs. the beginning of the year)...YES! Does this mean that these goals are a pipe dream...NO! Will three more consecutive losses to end December hurt...ABSOLUTELY! But still, they will have little or no impact on the completion of the five goals above.

We must hang in there and support this team - they need us more than ever right now!

• 3 months later...
Guest EagleBackr
Here's my take:

UTAH STATE L

vs. USC (@ Great Alaskan Shootout) W

vs. TBA (@ Great Alaskan Shootout) L

vs. TBA (@ Great Alaskan Shootout) W

ST. GREGORY'S W

TULSA W

MISSOURI STATE W

@ N. Colorado W

@ Louisiana-Lafayette L

@ Utah State L

@ Oklahoma L

@ Minnesota W

@ TBA (@ ESPN Bracket Buster) W

Non-Conference Record: 8-5

MID CON Regular Season Record: 11-5 (road losses at Valpo, UMKC, Western Illinois, and splits on the S. Utah/Chi. St. & Oakland/IUPUI trips)

Overall Regular Season Record: 19-10

Mid-Con Tournament: 3-0

NCAA Seed - #14

NCAA Tournament: 0-1

Final Overall Record: 22-11

So, another 20-win campaign, first ever Mid-Con tournament championship, first NCAA appearance in 20 years - I would have to say that's a successful season, alright...

...had to bump this one again for posterity's sake. I missed the final record by one loss, but obviously still stand by the final statement (in bold above). How did YOU do? Check it out...