Frost Arena Pics

89rabbit

Hey guys, I have posted some pics of Frost Arena before, and I just came across a few new ones that are pretty nice. This is from our win over NDSU Feb. 18, 2006.

10071.jpg

Frost Arena (Cap. 8,500)

10078.jpg

ph_426.jpg

Close up of just the new scoreboard

We gotta get one of those scoreboards!

It is a Daktronics board, built right in Brookings. The Company was founded by a pair of SDSU Electrical Engineering Professors and is now a World Leader in programmable electronic signs. The best part for us is the boards will pay for themselves in 4 years with add revenue from the boards (add panals and commercials run on the video board).

College section:

http://www.daktronics.com/sports_apps/d ... llege_univ

Main web address:

http://www.daktronics.com/

P.S. Looking at Dak's web site I noticed they have done boards for both Oklahoma (football) and Oklahoma State (Basketball).

We gotta get one of those scoreboards!

Mike Carter has been working on that for over 2 years. It has been determined that we can't do the one in the center of the court because the roof structure of Mabee Center would have to be completely rebuilt to support both the scoreboard and the other uses of the auditorium.

The Atheltic Dept. has also tried to sell the advertising to pay for it, but it seems like it takes 10 sponsors paying $100,000. someone else might remember the exact amount.

I think it was determined that we would have to do 2 video scoreboards on the ends and keep something close to what we have.

Guest EagleBackr

What's with all the shadows on the court? Somebody pay the light bill!

Reminds of of that arena in Salt Lake City where they played the NCAA regionals again this year. Lit like an Italian restaurant.

I think the shadows are due to the photographer's strobe lights in the building--usually used for more close-up action shots than wide views like this one. The floor is really pretty well lit.

I think the shadows are due to the photographer's strobe lights in the building--usually used for more close-up action shots than wide views like this one. The floor is really pretty well lit.

Agreed, and welcome to this board filbert. It is nice to have another Rabbit hanging around. :D

Mike Carter has been working on that for over 2 years. It has been determined that we can't do the one in the center of the court because the roof structure of Mabee Center would have to be completely rebuilt to support both the scoreboard and the other uses of the auditorium.

I can't believe this could be true. The current scoredboard is so large (and lowhanging) that I doubt ANY modern system would take up the same space let alone more!!!

If so, it's quite unusual to have the primary strobe set as a backlight...

It looks to be a really nice arena, but I gotta go with Backr on the lighting assessment...

Guest EagleBackr

I can't believe this could be true. The current scoredboard is so large (and lowhanging) that I doubt ANY modern system would take up the same space let alone more!!!

It's true - the current scoreboard is low-hanging, but not large at all. The lowered eliptical roof design of the Mabee Center is great for holding in crowd noise, but lousy for adding a new scoreboard. If you hung the video scoreboard from the UMAC in the Mabee Center, Mickey would hit his head on the bottom of it during the opening tip...

If so, it's quite unusual to have the primary strobe set as a backlight...

It looks to be a really nice arena, but I gotta go with Backr on the lighting assessment...

Here is a pic of Frost from '04 same lights different photographer.

7168.jpg

Some of the changes you can see in this pic, is the old floor paint scheme, old scoreboards and scorers' tabel, old bleacher seats in the end zones, no hydra ribs.

I think the first photographer was trying to highlight our new scoreboards, scorers' tabel, etc. and because they are so bright (think flat screen TV) he compensated making everything else look darker.

Guest EagleBackr

Here is a pic of Frost from '04 same lights different photographer.

7168.jpg

Some of the changes you can see in this pic, is the old floor paint scheme, old scoreboards and scorers' tabel, old bleacher seats in the end zones, no hydra ribs.

I think the first photographer was trying to highlight our new scoreboards, scorers' tabel, etc. and because they are so bright (think flat screen TV) he compensated making everything else look darker.

OK, OK!! You may join the Mid-Con now... :wink:

OK, OK!! You may join the Mid-Con now... :wink:

Ahhhh, you figured out my well crafted and covert plan to get my university into the Mid-Con. :wink:

I know the mid-con has to take into effect the other sports but just from what i've seen of MBB, I don't understand why they didn't already get an invitation. Centenary is a joke. Minus another remote location added to the Mid-Con map, I don't see any down side to adding SDSU.