Mid-Con Players Lost

ORUTerry

Not sure I can post this in a readable format, but here goes. The following is a schedule of the Mid-Con teams showing the players (seniors) they will lose from this season. The schedule shows players leaving and their points per game & rebounds per game, as well as the total contribution of those leaving relative to the team.

The intent is to show what changes can be expected for next year and what the individual teams will need to make up in terms of skill sets and talent. Showing just scoring and rebounding obviously is a bit limiting as certain players (Bluitt, Owens, Oppland, Cole, etc) contributed more to the team than just those two categories.

VALPO....................PPG............RPG

Dan Oppland...........19.8............8.0

Mohamed Kone........10.9............8.0

Ron Howard.............13.1............3.5

Seth Colclasure........8.6..............1.8

Ali Berdiel ...............8.4 .............3.4

Player Totals ..........60.8 ...........24.7

Team Totals ...........78.8 .......... 37.4

% Lost .................. 77.2% ....... 66.0%

ORU .................... PPG ............ RPG

Larry Owens ........... 12.5 .......... 7.8

Chris Riouse ........... 7.8 ........... 1.0

Mickey Michalec ...... 6.5 ........... 4.3

Jonathan Bluitt ....... 7.0 ........... 1.9

Eric Fowlkes ........... 2.7 .......... 1.6

Andrew Meloy .......... 1.9 .......... 1.4

Player Totals ........... 38.4 ......... 18.0

Team Totals ............ 74.8 ......... 37.2

% Lost .................... 51.3% ...... 48.4%

Southern Utah .......... PPG .......... RPG

Lubor Olsovsky ......... 9.9 .......... 5.2

Nate Janes ................ 9.9 .......... 4.0

Rand Janes ............... 8.3 .......... 3.0

Esteban Bonanzo ........ 3.5 .......... 2.4

Player Totals ............ 31.6 .......... 14.6

Team Totals ............. 68.5 .......... 29.2

% Lost ..................... 46.1% ....... 50.0%

IUPUI ....................... PPG ......... RPG

Brandon Cole ............. 15.3 ........ 7.0

Maushae Byles ........... 7.0 ........ 2.8

Michal Varrek ............. 1.2 ........ 1.4

Blair Crawford ............ 0.8 ........ 0.8

Chris Scott ................. 0.6 ........ 0.9

Players Total .............. 24.9 ........ 12.9

Team Totals ............... 69.8 ........ 31.9

% Lost ....................... 35.7% ..... 40.4%

Western Illinois ........... PPG ........ RPG

Fred Oguns ................. 13.1 ....... 5.1

Eliz Cepeda ................. 5.8 ........ 5.1

Players Total ............... 18.9 ....... 10.2

Team Totals ................ 67.8 ....... 34.8

% Lost ........................ 27.9% .... 29.3%

Chicago State ............. PPG ......... RPG

Marin Mulic ................. 3.8 ......... 1.5

Nikko Briteramos ........ 2.9 ......... 4.1

Nate Carter ................ 1.3 ......... 2.3

Arthur Talley .............. 0.3 ......... 0.1

Player Totals .............. 8.3 ......... 8.0

Team Totals ............. 68.7 ......... 32.5

% Lost ..................... 12.1% ...... 24.6%

UMKC ....................... PPG .......... RPG

Mark Huppe ............... 2.3 ........... 0.6

Kalu Gausco .............. 8.8 ........... 4.0

Player Totals ............. 11.1 .......... 4.6

Team Totals ............... 70.5 .......... 31.6

% Lost ...................... 15.7% ........14.6%

Centenary ................ PPG ........... RPG

Ian Maxwell ............... 1.7 ........... 1.5

Team Totals ............ 66.5 ........... 32.3

% Lost .................... 2.6% .......... 4.6%

Oakland - no players lost

UMKC, IUPUI, Chi St. and Western will be tough next year. Looks like Valpo is going to be hurting if they couldn't even get it done this year with how much their seniors did for them.

Guest EagleBackr

Jeez, that's kinda scary. Especially when you consider that pretty much ALL we have returning in those categories is wrapped up in just two guys - Ken and Caleb. Makes you realize two things for next year: injuries to either of them would be devestating, and the reserves/new guys better represent EARLY and OFTEN...

It is debatable about who will be missed more:

Larry Owens - the kid did everything but deliver popcorn at halftime. We will miss his athleticism and ability to take over a game. It will take a committee of players to replace him.

Jonathan Bluitt - his speed and quickness broke down defenses. He was also a verbal leader for the team.... big intangible.

Mickey Michalec - as the saying goes, it's hard to coach size. Not many big (tall and hefty) skilled guys around.

Chris Riouse - arguably the best three point shooter ORU has seen since Tim Gill.

Larry Owens - the kid did everything but deliver popcorn at halftime. We will miss his athleticism and ability to take over a game. It will take a committee of players to replace him.

Jonathan Bluitt - his speed and quickness broke down defenses. He was also a verbal leader for the team.... big intangible.

Mickey Michalec - as the saying goes, it's hard to coach size. Not many big (tall and hefty) skilled guys around.

Chris Riouse - arguably the best three point shooter ORU has seen since Tim Gill.

I definitely agree with the arguably part.

Looks to me like UMKC, Oakland, and Centenary will dominate next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would argue that we have indications of talent that can fill the holes left by the players leaving....

Vealy should see more minutes and will be able to either play down low or away from the basket. Just needs to mature a bit and gain some weight/strength. Not the same player as Owens (who is?) but is a definite weapon. Sutton has also indicated that Jeremy Hazell should help on the wing.... hard to believe a freshman can come in and help immediately though.

Ehambe will have to be a consistent outside threat - and play some defense - to replace Riouse. He is capable.

We hope that Shawn King can fill the big hole left by Michalec. Again, this will probably be a committee assignment - including Sylvester Spicer and even Ogunoye down low.

We have heard how good Liberty is (he did start at Wichita State) but it remains to be seen how he is as a leader on the court. His offensive game is also a bit of a question mark. This could be an upgrade given Liberty's size (6'2") and projected passing ability.

The remaining recruits could also help fill holes....

We are essentially where we have been the last several years.... dependent upon Green and Tutt.

You're crazy.

Mark my words-Centenary will dominate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to news reports, they failed the APR standards and lost two basketball scholarships.... if this is true, they are only graduating one player so that means that they will have to pull the scholarship for a current player. The Shreveport newspaper had a story a few weeks ago saying that the Gents should move down to Division II.

In addition, reports say that Chicago State may get the 'death penalty' from the NCAA.

I suspect that the Mid-Con athletic directors are contemplating the inclusion of at least one new school in the conference....

I suspect that the Mid-Con athletic directors are contemplating the inclusion of at least one new school in the conference....

They could check with TU...

Guest Rob Marshall

Terry ... Adam Liberty? Bluitt's a great kid, but sorry, he won't be missed on the court.

Jonathan Bluitt was the heart and soul of that team. He wasn't our most talented player, but he was an amazing leader. He will be missed, but no one will realize the importance until next year. Losing his leadership will be like losing Luke Spencer-Gardner's toughness.

Someone on the team will have to step up and be the leader next year.

Hard for me to really judge the difference in the two players since I have only seen Liberty play once. I have seen him in practice a few times and he is impressive. I know a lot of people disparage Bluitt's ability.... and his diminutive size did limit his ability to pass into the post and guard taller opponents. I would argue that his speed and quickness disrupted defenses. JB provided leadership to the team and his teammates looked to him. That is an intangible that can be hard to replace. It remains to be seen who will step up and provide that leadership next year.

Losing six players could result in a pretty profound change in team chemistry. It is nice that three of the 'new' players have been on campus for a year as red-shirts and are familar with the program. It remains to be seen how the other five (King, Hazell, Gaines, new recruit #1 & new recruit #2) mesh with the existing personailities and coaching staff.

Frankly, I think this might be where we miss Bluitt the most. His engaging and outgoing personality helped bring the various players/personalities together. This is more important than some realize. JB is a great ambassador (and recruiter) for ORU basketball. I wonder if the staff has considered having him stay on in some capacity?

I said on this forum before the season started that the key to your season was Larry Owens because no one else had anyone like him, or even close to him in all the things he could do. He is the guy you will miss the most, and replacing him will be very very difficult. Bluitt was a decent point guard, but certainly not outstanding. (Remember he had the ball stolen twice in a row at midcourt after you had taken the lead over Memphis and you never recovered from that) He was adequate for the Mid-Con but not the level you are talking about attaining. Riouse was a great shooter and as far as I could see very misued. Why he didn't play more was beyond me. Be that as it may, Owens is the difference between ORU and IUPUI/VU/ and even Chicago State. You will miss him much more than you realize. (Just a personal opinion)

Guest EagleBackr

...I just can't believe we managed to win anything this past season without You-Know-Who!! :wink:

Seriously, lets not make JB or Larry into this next season's LSG. You know - the ol' "Oh-my-gosh-we-lost-a-game-we-sure-are-missing-him!" excuse. Face it - guys graduate (or at least use up all their eligibility). New guys take their place. You hope the new guys can play, but you just don't know till they all lace 'em up together. If we aren't as good, then it's simply on the new guys, because hanging onto the old guys forever was never an option. Everyone just needs to remain calm, return their tray tables to their original upright position, and enjoy the summer. Or at least sit tight until signing day in April when the hand-wringing can begin anew... 8)

Soryy.... I didn't mean to give the impression that I was hand wringing. Just making an observation about the adjustments we will face next season - at least early on. I honestly think we could be a bit better next year - even with the loss of some quality players. While Owens was a very verstatile player who presented match up problems for opposing team, I think we will able to 'replace' him by committee (Ehambe, Vealy, Spicer, Hazell, etc.). The nice thing is that this coaching staff has recruited well over the last several years and the loss of six seniors will not devastate the program..... Remember when Kyan Brown was our premier post player?

I've been saying this for years, no one had more heart that Kyan Brown. If that guy was 4-6 inches taller and had any talent, he could have gone a long way.

You're right.... Kyan was (and is) a nice young man. He graduated with a History degree from ORU and now is an assistant coach with Barry Hinson at Missouri State.