Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott to Iowa State

Guest Rob Marshall

Guest Rob Marshall

Since Steve Alford will NOT be leaving the University of Iowa, Greg McDermott opted for the next best job in Iowa in Ames and has accepted the Iowa State head coaching position.

Northern Iowa will try to hire a Scott Sutton type coach. Not saying Scott would go there, just suggesting that it's the first opening where he will get some ink.

I think UNI decided to go with its assistent coach. But Scott will be gone soon enough. Will be sad to lose him. Great coach.

Thats one of the hardest parts about being a mid major. Anytime you get a good coach they leave. ORU has had alot. And over here at MoState we have had our share.

If Sutton gets to the NCAA tournament next year and is competitive, then he will get some consideration, especially because of his pedigree.

But I don't think anyone will look his way right now based strictly on one NCAA tournament appearance and first round loss.

I also think that his situation at ORU is good, even comfortable, (except from a salary standpoint) so he is in a good position to wait until a major conference job opens up with big $$$.

Of course, he won't be in the running for a big job down the road unless he continues to succeed.

If Sutton gets to the NCAA tournament next year and is competitive, then he will get some consideration, especially because of his pedigree.

But I don't think anyone will look his way right now based strictly on one NCAA tournament appearance and first round loss.

I also think that his situation at ORU is good, even comfortable, (except from a salary standpoint) so he is in a good position to wait until a major conference job opens up with big $$$.

Of course, he won't be in the running for a big job down the road unless he continues to succeed.

While that is probably true, it didn't take much for Barry Hinson to get a job elsewhere. We never won a tournament when he was at ORU, and he got taken away. As much as I would like Scott Sutton to stay, how many of us would turn down a job that paid more money.....:(

With more $$$ comes higher expections and a lot more pressure. For awhile, Barry looked like the pressure was taking a toll on his health. I wonder if at that point he wondered if he made the correct decision? After all, Tulsa has a Steak & Shake now.

Guest EagleBackr

Here's one I had never heard before today: Bob Barry, Jr. on his "Sports Morning" radio show out of OKC said he had heard from John Klein at the Big XII tournament that "if Eddie Sutton wants to continue coaching but is not allowed to return to OSU because of his legal problems, then he would DEFINITELY replace Scott Sutton at ORU if Scott left for any other job in the near future." SAY WHAT?!? Anybody else ever heard THAT one before?

That is insane. In a good way. I've never even heard anyone joke about something like that. I sure wouldn't mind having him if we lost Scott...

Wow, that would be crazy eaglebacker i haven't heard that anywhere I wonder if it is true, Eddie at ORU what times we live in....:)