"How To" for Crowd Involvement

vcboy2000

I think voice's main idea got lost in a bunch of other stuff in the last thread. We know that most people on this board are big fans and yell at the games, that the students don't all come out to the games like we want them too, that some maniacs and fans got shafted with ticket placements during the NCAA, and that we want to continue to improve our crowd activity during home games. Now let's hear about some ideas that some of the maniacs on this board and GEC members can take back to there respective organizations for next year. I will re-post a few of the posts on the last thread that offered some possible solutions.

BTW the new Fight Song is as follows:

Fight Song

Golden Eagles

ORU!

None defeats the

GOLD and BLUE!

Victory is just in sight

so come on Eagles

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!

Golden Eagles

ORU!

None defeats the

GOLD and BLUE!

Shout it louder

Scream it prouder

O-R-U!

posted by ORUvoice

Here are a few suggestions.....

1. When our team comes on or leaves the floor, we stand up and cheer.

2. When the fight song is being played, we stand up and clap.

3. We wear either a Navy or White shirt to the games, my preference is Navy, but the "White Out' theme was cool during the Mid-Con title game.

4. When we are on defense, we all chant in unison...DE-FENSE (clap, clap) DE-FENSE.

These are just a few of the basics. There are more, but this is a good start. Perhaps, we can coordinate with the cheerleaders for next season to help with some of this stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean spirited, but between Arkansas, Memphis, and Bucknell fans in Dallas, it reminded me again how much improvement we need to make.

posted by ORUTerry:

...I think it will take a combined effort between the Golden Eagle Club and the Maniacs.... The Maniacs have improved the atmosphere and enthusiasm in the Mabee Center dramatically over the last several years. Their impact cannot be overstated.

posted by EasytelGuy:

ORUTerry & MabeeJ, there are definitely things that can be done, such as:

1.) Grassroots efforts like asking all the GEC Members at the pre-game dinners EARLY next year to wear white or navy T-shirts to EVERY game!

2.) Make a collaborative, formal effort with the Athletic Dept. for them to market wearing white or navy T-shirts. Such as, on the actual tickets that say - REMEMBER TO WEAR WHITE OR NAVY!

3.) Have a recruiting effort to the Golden Eagle Club targeted toward alumni that live in Tulsa that have graduated since 1990. Ideally, all of these "younger" alumni would sit together and have a Mabee Maniacs - Alumni Styled group. Something like that...

4.) Basically, it needs to be en vogue to be an ORU fan...and all the ideas need to be targeted toward this objective... I think our teams took a step in the right direction to create this kind of community buzz.

We need some new, fresh ideas for our team to feel like we are with them that much more and we want to see them win like nothing before!!!

posted by vcboy:

Positive Peer Pressure can be a great motivator. A group of fans that can respond appropriately in the main areas of the arena can encourage others to join in.

This might help if they knew what the fight song sounded like. It changed a lil while back, and I don't think a lot of people really caught on. I heard that in the 'olden days', the entire crowd would stand and sing the fight song before and after games. A possible solution could be to print out the words on some type of promotional give-away (ie, game cup, etc.). We could then organize a time (like we do for the Spririt Sprint) where the crowd can sing the fight song. I also like the idea of the EAGLE Train. It was pretty impressive hearing all the hog fans in AA arean do there pig call cheer. We don't have anything right now where our fans are the ones doing the cheer.

3. We wear either a Navy or White shirt to the games, my preference is Navy, but the "White Out' theme was cool during the Mid-Con title game.

This would seem like a joint effort from GEC and the Maniacs. The Maniacs did a great job getting the word out to students on campus about the "white-out" theme. It has been suggested that they keep that format of attire for the whole season (a t-shirt that all the students could wear in the section) The dressing up can burn you out, and more students would be included with the t-shirt theme as well (mid-con finals). They would need help from sports marketing or some other department to help with the rest of the fan base. The athletic dept. used to give out TTCU shirts with a big eli on the front at the baseball games. Getting more merchandise to our fans could be a start. I'm glad we have the Fan Wear booths at the games now.

4. When we are on defense, we all chant in unison...DE-FENSE (clap, clap) DE-FENSE.

Answer to #1 is the only thing i could think of right now. What do you all think?

Thanks vcboy. That was my point.

I was intending that we talk about these things among the "choir" and then go lead the "sheep" next season and beyond.

Another example...TU fans remain standing and clapping until their first basket. I think that is GREAT! Then after the "spirit sprint" during the final media timeout, we remain standing or we start the "EAGLE TRAIN" chant at that point. E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!.

Starting "TRADITION". Memphis, Arkansas, and Bucknell, all had "cheers' or "chants" that they do in unison and 99% of them wore their team colors.

Let's keep this discussion going!

Thanks vcboy. That was my point.

I was intending that we talk about these things among the "choir" and then go lead the "sheep" next season and beyond.

Another example...TU fans remain standing and clapping until their first basket. I think that is GREAT! Then after the "spirit sprint" during the final media timeout, we remain standing or we start the "EAGLE TRAIN" chant at that point. E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!.

Starting "TRADITION". Memphis, Arkansas, and Bucknell, all had "cheers' or "chants" that they do in unison and 99% of them wore their team colors.

Let's keep this discussion going!

Excellent ideas, voice. I've often wondered why we don't stay standing after the Spirit Sprint. Seems like a natural thing to do. Using THAT SITUATION TO BEGIN THE "EAGLE TRAIN" to build momentum for the end of the game might be the PERFECT time for starting that, that the Maniacs have been looking for. The timeout activity is fan or "spirit" oriented, and it would be so easy to transition from the Spirit Sprint and Eli knocking over the megaphones into starting the Eagle Train. Great idea. It will probably STILL require involvement by the cheerleaders to get the crowd going with it, though.

Guest Mount Baldy

Lots of references to the Golden Eagle Club. The gray hairs may participate in cheers, chants, songs, trains, and shirts. But the blue hairs may be a lost cause.

Just got back from a business trip, and I agree with you guys that we really shouldn't let these ideas die.

I like the Eagle Train idea after the Spirit Sprint. It would work great because only some of the guy cheerleaders do the running, so after they waive the flags and exit the rest of the cheerleaders could line the baseline on both sides of the arena and lead the crowd in the Eagle Train. Everyone is allready standing so it wouldn't be too hard, especially for those of us that know it's coming. What do you guys think?

I'm all for it, and will try to help get it going in our section next season. Only trouble is, we've got eight or nine months to wait before we can try it!!

well who has clout with the cheerleaders coach?

I'm all for it, and will try to help get it going in our section next season. Only trouble is, we've got eight or nine months to wait before we can try it!!

You thinking about this all wrong, Doc. You don't have to wait until November. Try it tonight right before bed with the wifey!

Who knows...she might like it!

posted by ORUvoice

Here are a few suggestions.....

These are just a few of the basics. There are more, but this is a good start. Perhaps, we can coordinate with the cheerleaders for next season to help with some of this stuff.

What about one half of the arena (with the help of the cheerleaders) chanting GOLDEN!! and the other half of the arena responding with EAGLES!! Just another one of my original thoughts.... :lol:

What about one half of the arena (with the help of the cheerleaders) chanting GOLDEN!! and the other half of the arena responding with EAGLES!! Just another one of my original thoughts.... :lol:

I think that's a great idea!

original, heh. Try telling that to an Illini fan :wink:

I think getting recent grads (90's +) sitting in a certain section is an awesome idea. I think they will rub off on each other and they will make some noise and help make a difference. Also, I think doing cheers like one side doing golden and the other doing eagles is a great idea because maybe it will get the blue hairs out of their seats and making some noise and getting loosened up, because really the biggest thing is that they don't want to be uncomfortable, they want to sit and relax, instead of getting worked up and cheering. I also think bringing the Eagle train in after the spirit sprint is a great idea, who knows, maybe fans will stay up and cheer for the remainder of the game. I know the Maniacs would love to do some cheers where the whole arena get into it, those are the most fun!

I thought one of the best things about being at the UMAC was that everyone was up close to the court. The Mabee Center is more spread out than the UMAC but if we could create that "up close" feel, it would make a difference. One thing I think that would help in creating that would be if they roped off the top five or so rows in the gold section and not allow anyone to sit there. Obviously we are not selling out every game so if we could congregate a little tighter, it would give the impression of more fans and that could create some good synergy in the arena. I know there would be a lot of technicalities but my guess would be that Nick G. and the rest of the athletic department would be willing to open this up to discussion. Some issues that we would need to work through are if we would seat anyone in the blue section. Maybe the top five rows could be the overflow tickets that they usually use in the blue section. Another question that would arise would be when we do have a "sellout" game, at what point would they release those top five rows or blue section seats. It's almost like they would have to make sure they sell out of the lower gold seats before they release the others. If someone has season tickets in that area, they would have to be reassigned and use the top five gold rows as general admission. Exceptions for using the top rows would be people with disabilities who can not go on stairs. I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks about that.