Fan-dom

oruvoice

One more point about fans. The young students SHOULD be our loudest, most enthusiastic fans. The students were great at the Mid-Con Tournament, but they are really pretty bad at the home games (with the exception of the 40-50 maniacs who are wonderful). I know you current students don't like to hear the 'back in the day' comments, but when I was in school (a while ago), you had to get to the game early to get a seat in the gold section. The student sections were almost totally full!!

Also, remember that some of us have been supporting the Eagles with our $$ and attendance for ALL of those 22+ years. Do you think that we deserved our seats, maybe?

I heard that the Memphis students were up in the rafters too, so it wasn't just ORU.

And I hope that you saw us stand and applaud the players as they left the floor Friday. They certainly noticed and waved up at us.

Guest pfsEd

To all with the suggestions for the crowd, TMH is correct in his "you're preaching to the choir" comments. Those that are fans enough to be on here at all are not the porblem. We can only cheer so loud with limited numbers. Throughout the Mid-Con and NCAA tourneys, I was hoarse and deafened the fans in front of me the entire time. We do have to get the "blue hairs" to get up and get going but as EasyTEL guy stated, it is up to those of us that have graduated more recently to carry the torch so to speak. It is beginning to change, lets keep up the rowdy atmosphere throughout next year and not just during the tourneys. I probably won't paint my face every game, but every ref/opposing coach & freethrow shooter will hear me along with anyone near me. Lets build on these last two years and not take all year to get it back.

Our crowd seems to very off and on. During the mid-con final, it was awesome to see everyone up and cheering, but why can't we bring that fire to every game? Like many have said, 1 or 2 wins earlier in the season could have got us a much higher seed. Every game means something, and we should treat every game like it is a championship.

Now for the student section. We have our steaky moments too, and ill admit (even though I dont want to) at times we maniacs can be not as we should be. I love the idea of everyone wearing either navy blue or white. It's easy and cheap. I know both student sections (the maniacs, and blue crew) have club shirts that they do wear if they dont get all dressed out. What its going to take is a combined effort from the whole crowd though. If we had everyone up even half as much as we normally do, we would have the mabee rocking.

Let's all make an effort to make the mabee center a feared place to play. Ive played sports my entire life, and let me tell you, when a fan base is behind their team it is intimidating. There is nothing more nerve racking than several thousand fans screaming their lungs out. And when it is your fans yelling, you get a huge boost from it. Im up for making next year a historic year for ORU basketball. I believe we have the talent to be one of the best teams this school has ever seen, and with us backing them, who knows how far they can go. Is anyone else with me?

As vcboy2000 said, when I first started attending basketball games in the late 80's early 90's, at the end of every game we would sing the fight song (spirit song?? I'm a little unclear on that).

Oh O - R - U, Oh - R - U, Oh - R - U - niversity

Holy Spirit blessed, seeking out the best,

Of the human trinity.

I think that's right, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Of course I was only 10-12 years old at the time, so we constantly came up with new less appropriate lyrics. By the time I went to school from 95-99, it hadn't been done for a little while. The "outstanding" pep band plays it, but no singing anymore. It was nice, even after a loss (of which there were plenty under Coach Trickey's second stint) making you feel a little better when you left. I can't even remember how the "new" fight song goes, I only hope it wasn't introduced while I attended. Some alumni I'd be if I can't recall the fight song.

I also miss making the tunnel on the court for the players to run through when they came out. That was fun.

Also, remember that some of us have been supporting the Eagles with our $$ and attendance for ALL of those 22+ years. Do you think that we deserved our seats, maybe?

Mom, I completely feel like everyone got the seats they deserved, myself included. I just wish I would have known about my seats before I paid $50 for them, cause I had a few buddies pay $15 for better seats than mine! Anyways...

As soon as we get students coming to the game because they want to watch and cheer for the team and they don't need added incentives, then I am all for an all blue or all white or whatever for every single game. But, until then, we are going to keep doing what works, because right now, it's like pulling teeth to get students to the games. As soon as we (maniacs) went to UMKC for our yearly trip, attendance dropped off dramatically, which really disappointed me, I thought it'd be better this year. If we didn't have the Maniacs, we would have about 30 guys show up every game and we would just yell tons of random things and try to get in the other teams heads. We feel like having a student section of 100 doing cheers and trying to get other people to make some sort of noise is more effective than the 30 of us having some fun.

Our student section sucks, BIG TIME!!! The blue crew is literally non-existent. The guys who were heading that up unofficially quit after x-mas. Maniacs dropped off severely after Jan, and about 100-200 other students show up at the games and hang out with their friends and they have no clue what is happening in the game. The Maniacs that aren't part of the "30 guys" that come to the games come because they like the "themes" and they have fun doing Maniacs. They eat some pizza before the game, they get dressed up, they do some yelling at the game, they make some friends, they have a good time, which is awesome, but truly, we have about 30 rowdy Maniacs and about 70+ that sort of chime in some during the game, a little clapping and yelling, but not much else. The Maniacs were great at the championship game, but the rest of the students didn't do much (except when the camera was on em!), but I will say they did a lot more than normal.

My feeling is that until our guys make a run into the Sweet 16, or several years in a row of going to the Dance, we won't have a consistently loud student section. I think that the majority of our students didn't play sports in hs (which shows in intramurals) or they aren't really sports fans in general, so they don't come to the games, and if they do, they aren't interested in the game itself. I think that Maniacs is getting better with every incoming freshmen class. We will have a great bunch of freshmen next year, we are doing things with the administration that should help make our club bigger, but honestly, the number that is getting bigger is more the 70+ number, not as much the 30 something number.

Once the students come to the games because they want to jump around and yell all game (see Duke, Michigan, O State, North Carolina) then I will be the first one to endorse an all blue or white student section for all of the games, but until then, we're going to go with what gets more students to the games, and hopefully, they will be more of the 30 and not the 70. But, things are 100% better than when I came to games in HS, maybe in a couple of years we'll look more like a Duke and less like a small school who doesn't support their team at basketball games.

Mom, I completely feel like everyone got the seats they deserved, myself included. I just wish I would have known about my seats before I paid $50 for them, cause I had a few buddies pay $15 for better seats than mine! Anyways...

I agree with you there. I had no idea where our seats were going to be until we picked them up. (and btw I am not mom)

I totally agree with you, the club is getting better and will get better. We just need to find a way to get more people interested in the game, rather than the party before hand. I think the admissions program we did earlier in the year will help alot, but I will agree that we need alot more rowdy fans. This is Tyler by the way.

As vcboy2000 said, when I first started attending basketball games in the late 80's early 90's, at the end of every game we would sing the fight song (spirit song?? I'm a little unclear on that).

Of the human trinity.

I think that's right, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Of course I was only 10-12 years old at the time, so we constantly came up with new less appropriate lyrics. By the time I went to school from 95-99, it hadn't been done for a little while. The "outstanding" pep band plays it, but no singing anymore. It was nice, even after a loss (of which there were plenty under Coach Trickey's second stint) making you feel a little better when you left. I can't even remember how the "new" fight song goes, I only hope it wasn't introduced while I attended. Some alumni I'd be if I can't recall the fight song.

I also miss making the tunnel on the court for the players to run through when they came out. That was fun.

Here's the rest of the song...

Oh-O-R-U, Oh-O-R-U, ordained by holy destiny

May your torch still burn, at the Lord's return

and count for eternity

I can remember the old fight song but I have no idea what the words are to the new song. AND I'M IN THE PEP BAND.

And if you have the game on tape...

watch for the part where Ken and Larry have the break away and Larry tips in Ken's pass to put us up 33-29. When the camera zooms out after that basket you see the pep band behind the basket, and you can see me jumping up and down, waving my arms. Not that hard to pick me out because I was the only one in the pep band freaking out that we were winning.

I consider it my little moment of history.

Maniac Pres,

Mom, I completely feel like everyone got the seats they deserved, myself included. I just wish I would have known about my seats before I paid $50 for them, cause I had a few buddies pay $15 for better seats than mine!

Actually it was Mrs Smith you were talking to & not me. I am glad to hear that some of the Maniacs got good deals on their tickets though. :wink:

I agree with you there. I had no idea where our seats were going to be until we picked them up. (and btw I am not mom)

I was told on the phone that the ORU tickets would be in Section 108 or 210. I got there and had seats in the 300 level that I never would have paid $50 for. ORU should have had better info about ticket locations before making the sales and certainly should not have been misleading about the seat locations.

Sorry Mrs Smith, I didn't pay attention to what I was doing I guess...

OKC Eagle, I agree with you, I just wish that I would have known where my seats were going to be, but it worked out fine, we got good seats in the end.

ORUTerry & MabeeJ, there are definitely things that can be done, such as:

1.) Grassroots efforts like asking all the GEC Members at the pre-game dinners EARLY next year to wear white or navy T-shirts to EVERY game!

2.) Make a collaborative, formal effort with the Athletic Dept. for them to market wearing white or navy T-shirts. Such as, on the actual tickets that say - REMEMBER TO WEAR WHITE OR NAVY!

3.) Have a recruiting effort to the Golden Eagle Club targeted toward alumni that live in Tulsa that have graduated since 1990. Ideally, all of these "younger" alumni would sit together and have a Mabee Maniacs - Alumni Styled group. Something like that...4.) Basically, it needs to be en vogue to be an ORU fan...and all the ideas need to be targeted toward this objective... I think our teams took a step in the right direction to create this kind of community buzz.

We need some new, fresh ideas for our team to feel like we are with them that much more and we want to see them win like nothing before!!!

EasyTel has a some really good ideas, and I really like number 3. I graduated in 2002 and my season tickets are in section J, with a lot of the professors and some blue hairs. When big plays happen I stand up cheer and hollar at the Mabee, but soon after have to sit down due to the people behind me. Section J is actually pretty good at standing up and cheering when we need it, but if I were in a section with other alumni that graduated 90's to now I could really get into it. Perhaps face paint with a few of them, and just get crazy at the game. I just think if I was sitting with like minded ORU fans that want to get rowdy and stand and cheer that I could do a lot more than what I do in section J. Great idea Easytel, I just hope something like it can happen.

Of the human trinity.

It was a lot easier to sing the old fight song because they would put the words up on the scoreboard. They did it so much that I eventually memorized the song and would get it stuck in my head. We need to have the words from the new fight song put up on the screens at the Mabee Center then maybe people can learn it.

I loved the titan tunnel. That was always so much fun to do. When we would have large crowds we would get a HUGE tunnel going and you could high five all the players, it got you into the game a little more I thought. Can we not bring back the tunnel? Why did we stop doing it?

vcboy2000 wrote:

3. We wear either a Navy or White shirt to the games, my preference is Navy, but the "White Out' theme was cool during the Mid-Con title game.

At most schools, when they do a "white out" or the color of their team for a specific game there will be a T-shirt on each seat that way those that forgot can have that one and then the theme of wearing that color sticks better once they have an actual ORU shirt in the right color that they can wear to the games....ORU already gives out tons of shirts throughout the season.

We should have one of the first games and have a "ORU Blue Day" and give out shirts then encourage them to wear that shirt or another one of the same color to each home game

It has to be an organized effort by the ticket office and the athletic department in their advertising to at least start the process, they could even have voice announce to "remember to wear blue" when he announces when the next home games are.