Did anybody else hear this quote yesterday?

tmh8286

From one of the announcers, I believe he said it was from Dean Smith, but it seems unlikely that he would feel the need to say something like this. But in talking about what the mid-majors are trying to do in the tournament:

"I could never beat Jack Nicholas over 18 holes of golf. But on a given day I might be able to beat him on one hole."

I thought that described PERFECTLY what ORU was hoping to do. Unfortunately, we didn't beat Jack on that one hole on Friday.

Has anybody every heard this quote before, and know to whom it is attributed?

Rather condescending to the mid-majors don't you think? Typical of the 'big conference' attitude.... it is just luck that the smaller schools are winning. Or, they are saying that is because the power conference schools just wore themselves out playing each other during the season and their post season tournaments. They (Packer, Nance, Smith, et al) cannot bring themselves to admit that other schools could possibly be as good as they are.

Uh, okay I take it back - it wasn't a PERFECT description of what ORU was trying to do.

Absolutely condescending! Yeah, that's what I meant! That REALLY ticks me OFF! Who was it that said that, anyway???

I don't know who said it, but I thought it was funny that he said "I couldn't beat Jack Nicholas in 18 rounds of golf. . . " You got his meaning though.

If the outcome of the game depended solely on raw talent, then Kansas would beat Bradley nine out of ten times. But since experience, teamwork, maturity, and coaching play such an important part Bradley outclassed Kansas and outmatched Pittsburgh. I think the upset talk is kind of funny, especially with a team like Wichita State, who completely controlled their game against Tennessee. That wasn't really an upset, it was a superior team playing superior basketball. With ORU vs. Memphis, the analogy is probably a little more apt.