Anybody notice the floor at The Palace?

tmh8286

You really can't help but notice - "Oakland University" across the middle of the floor, in HUGE letters, and Mid-Con emblazoned on the end zone. In case you were wondering how Oakland's name is found on the floor of The Palace of Auburn Hills, here is the explanation from the Oakland message board:

"If you guys have not watched any of the games at the Palace whether in person or on T.V. it is a must see. The OU administration, Kampe, and staff did a phenominal job of putting this all together. The center of the palace court has Oakland Univ in big letters right across the court, the paint area is all black just like in the Orena, and the out of bounds areas underneath each basket has the mid con emblems on each end. When they want to advertise they definitely go all out thats for sure. A great job to everyone who had a hand in putting this together."

And:

"Kampe said on the news last night that after last years 15 minutes of fame that this weekend will give us 15 more minutes. That by far is the coolest floor in the tournament. OU continues on the map."

I don't remember seeing that floor on any of the games I've seen up until today.

I posted the same observation about a minute after you did Tim.... I will delete my post and transfer it here:

Anyone notice that the Auburn Hills Regional site is being played on "Oakland University's" basketball court. They even have "Mid-Con" written on each baseline. The problem is that this is not where Oakland plays.... they have their own arena (the O'Rena) on campus - about 3 miles away. If I remember correctly, this is where the Pistons play. They must have 'painted' the Oakland University and Mid-Con names on the court for the tournament. Nice job of getting recognition.

Guest Rob Marshall

Marketing 101 ... THAT was great exposure for the Oakland and MID CON brand; I called Ed Grom just prior to tip off of the Kansas vs. Bradley game to give props to Oakland and the MID CON for gorilla marketing at its finest. Very well played by the Golden Griz brass. I love it! 8)

Good job, Rob. I don't happen to have Ed Grom's number on my cell phone, but I'm glad someone did, to let them know we appreciate the effort :wink: ! The Mid-Con can use all the publicity it can get.

I noticed last night that my buddy J. D. Collins was officiating one of the games I was watching - I think it was the Indiana/Gonzaga game. Just a bit ago I noticed that one of the officials in the UConn/UK game was one of the guys that officiated the Mid-Con championship game.

So regardless of what we think of some of these guys, when not officiating in the lowly Mid-Con they're working in some pretty big games.