Memphis Game Observations

ORUTerry

In no particular order:

1. It was a great atmosphere and fun to see so many ORU fans together to cheer the Golden Eagles. This season has created a lot of fun memories.

2. Memphis is a very talented and athletic team. They have a deep bench; the players are long and quick. And who knew they could shoot from the perimeter like that? If we play as a 15 seed, ORU would have had a chance to advance.

3. ORU looked confident and fought back in the first half to take the lead. Green and Dorsey were jawing at each other almost from the start (see story from the Commercial Appeal). Their big guys could not handle him one-on-one (Dorsey fouled out) and they resorted to double teams in the second half. Green was smiling (our TU friends seem to have trouble with that that) and seemed to be having fun.

4. Their height and quickness on the perimeter prevented open looks from Tutt and Riouse. They were intent on not letting Tutt shoot from the perimeter. I thought Tutt dribbled the ball too much at times causing some turnovers.... but that happens against a team like Memphis. I wish we could have opened the perimeter up more for Tutt & Riouse.

5. Owens is so fun to watch.... we will miss his athleticism and versatilty. And he is such a nice kid. Owens and Vealy were the only players able to match Memphis' athlecticism. Larry's tip-in off the alley oop pass was very nice. And I have to disagree with Bogus (and agree with TMH8286)... the ball was out of the cylinder when Larry tipped it in. The wrong official (at half court behind the play - wrong angle) made the call.

6. Bluitt had several unforced turnovers and I think was trying to do too much at times. He shot the ball well though and used his quickness to negate the Memphis pressure. We will miss his quickness and leadership, but a 5'9" point guard makes it difficult to make entry passes down low. He did a poor job on perimeter defense in the first half against #15 when he drained three 3-pointers in a row. I think the first one was a calculated gamble to sag off of him, but the other two were mistakes - Sutton was yelling for Bluitt to get on him.

7. Nice to see Vealy get minutes in the game.... I thought he did well and probably should have played a little more. Yemi also did a good job, though I would like to see him develop more on the offensive side of the court. Folkes also saw some playing time and made a nice drive to the basket. I think he should have seen more playing time.

8. I wish the coaches would have inserted Meloy into the game during the last minute or so of the game so he could have played in a NCAA Tournament game.

9. We have received a lot of love from the media over the last week or so, including two stories/pictures on the front page of the Dallas Morning News on Friday & Saturday. That has to be benficial for recruiting purposes.

10. Did anyone else notice the short, grey haired ref that almost gave Sutton a technical after a bad call? I think it was when Memphis could have been called for basket interference. This ref was very animated and was shouting at Scott. The Commercial Appeal has a short story about him which gives an unflattering profile. I was told afterwards that the guy has a long, hostile relationship with the Eddie Sutton.... and I guess was taking it out on Scott.

That was the same guy who, according to a person I knew who was sitting in the first couple rows, told Caleb Green to "stop smiling" after he made a bucket.

ash =o)

Those who follow ORU basketball and Caleb Green know that he smiles because he loves to play basketball. He is not taunting or trying to show anyone up.... he just enjoys playing the game.

From the Commercial Appeal (the Memphis paper)

Early in the second half, some members of the Memphis band were yelling at Burr following a no-call on which Caleb Green sent Joey Dorsey to the floor en route to the basket. As if he didn't have enough to do on the court, Burr took the time to threaten the band member, glaring to the baseline seats while asking "Do you want to stay in those seats? Do you?"

(Note to Jim Burr: Unless the college kid throws something on the floor or does something else besides join along with 19,000 other people yelling at an referee, an NCAA official said there's really not much you can do.)

After that episode, Burr went back to doing what he does best, which is to say he let the contest get too physical. It got to the point where there were multiple stoppages for injuries and a near scuffle between Rodney Carney and Mickey Michalec

He also was an official for last year's Final Four, not an excuse to be a bully!

http://www.ecac.org/feature/feature.asp ... ng&id=1205

Jim Burr, one of the top officials in America. Just ask the CBS announcers.

I was mildly annoyed by the taunting directed at the ORU crowd by the Memphis band over the last 5-7 minutes of the game. I like a pep band to be supportive of their team - but taunting the opponent's fans is a little over the top, in my opinion. One of the drummers tried to stop them early on, but didn't have much luck.

I was surprised that the pep bands were at the opposite ends of the court from their fan base. ORU's pep band was playing for the Memphis fans all afternoon, while the Memphis band was playing for us, and when not playing they were shouting and jeering at our cheerleaders. Wish the places of the bands had been reversed.

Those who follow ORU basketball and Caleb Green know that he smiles because he loves to play basketball. He is not taunting or trying to show anyone up.... he just enjoys playing the game.

I know Terry, see my post on the TU board.

ash =o)

I am just watching the game on TIVO and Jim Burr got into a 'shouting' match with Sutton in the first 15 seconds of the game.... after the first foul.

Check out some pictures on ESPN...they're all nice, but #10 and #11 tell the story...

http://espn.go.com/#

Follow the link and click Photo Gallery under the lead picture...

Guest Rob Marshall
I am just watching the game on TIVO and Jim Burr got into a 'shouting' match with Sutton in the first 15 seconds of the game.... after the first foul.

apparently at the beginning of the game, Scott came off the bench to "suggest" the official should have called traveling against the Memphis player on their first possession of the game; Burr quickly "scolded" Scott for making his suggestion, and told Scott "(we) don't know you (Scott)" and therefore they weren't going to take that kind of abuse from him concerning their calls or he'd be thrown out.

Burr is absolutely THE most arrogant official in college basketball. incidentally, he was the official who called the blocking foul against Oklahoma State with 2 seconds left in their game in Norman a few weeks ago. Burr's questionable call put Everett on the line for two FTs, which he made to win the game for the Sooners. if you saw the play, Sean Sutton fell on his back and roll on the floor in front of the OSU bench following Burr's call.

Jim Burr represents everything that is wrong with college officiating and he needs to retire.

Scott received similar treatment from the Missouri Valley refs when they officiated the ORU/MSU game at Mabee Center this season. I guess Sutton has been given a lesson in humility this year, at the hands of officials who hold the Mid-Con in low esteem.

apparently at the beginning of the game, Scott came off the bench to "suggest" the official should have called traveling against the Memphis player on their first possession of the game; Burr quickly "scolded" Scott for making his suggestion, and told Scott "(we) don't know you (Scott)" and therefore they weren't going to take that kind of abuse from him concerning their calls or he'd be thrown out.

Burr is absolutely THE most arrogant official in college basketball. incidentally, he was the official who called the blocking foul against Oklahoma State with 2 seconds left in their game in Norman a few weeks ago. Burr's questionable call put Everett on the line for two FTs, which he made to win the game for the Sooners. if you saw the play, Sean Sutton fell on his back and roll on the floor in front of the OSU bench following Burr's call.

Jim Burr represents everything that is wrong with college officiating and he needs to retire.

Burr sucks, but I thought the call in OU-OSU game was correct. Eaton should have never tried to take that charge...